CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:
Question Stall mat cutting ideas?

Time to tear out the basement carpet and lay down stall mats in the gym area. What's the best way to cut them? Razor knife or sawsall? Also any issues with condensation building up b/t the concrete floor & stall mat? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Greg Light

Profile:
Re: Stall mat cutting ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Castelvecchi View Post
Time to tear out the basement carpet and lay down stall mats in the gym area. What's the best way to cut them? Razor knife or sawsall? Also any issues with condensation building up b/t the concrete floor & stall mat? Thanks!
I put down a level and scored them with a razor blade. I had no problem getting through them with 5 - 10 strokes, but I have heard of people having problems. Make sure you use a brand new blade and rally dig in.

No problems here with condensation buildup.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The trick I've heard is to spray your cut with WD-40 and use a box cutter.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
The trick I've heard is to spray your cut with WD-40 and use a box cutter.
Had never head aboout the WD 40, thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Keith Miller

Profile:

Also, I found it helpful to use a 2x4. After marking your cut line, place the board under the mat. This helps to "open" up the cut to make it easier to cut along the same line.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Yep - put a slight bend in the mat and use WD-40.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Tony Arms

Profile:

I was told by a guy with horses NOT to use any type of saw. The heat from the blade would melt the rubber and just cause a mess. He said instead to use a straight edge and a razor blade, which i did, and it worked.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Anson Castelvecchi

Profile:

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Thomas Belger

Profile:

I've used a sawzall to lay down stall mats in three different gyms. You need quite a few blades but it cuts like butter and no melting. Just drape them over two saw horses and cut along the chalked line. Takes seconds.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
Jeremy Maddox

Profile:

i just did this a couple months ago. i cut about 20 mats in my basement, some long ways, some short ways, some with notches to go around things. there are pictures in the Basement Pain Cave thread linked in my signature, so this opinion is based on my actual experience

I bought into the hype I read and was prepared for this to be next to impossible. I tried several of the recommendations commonly found here with these results...

Use 2 people as much as possible - YES - it is much easier to carry and cut with two people.

Use a Circular Saw - NO - As I guessed Circular saw is a god awfull mess/smell...

Use a Sawzall/Jig Saw - Maybe - It smells, It eats up blades, dull blades melt the mat. The Most compelling reason not to do this is because it just TAKES WAY TOO LONG. I used a sawzall with a good fine tooth metal cutting blade to cut the short cuts if i was cutting out a notch (because you can't bend the mat on a cut that doesn't go all the way across the mat).

Use a Razor Knife - YES - readily available, cheap blades, very sharp, solid and stable, fast, easy.

Change blades often - YES - rubber really dulls mats quickly, change blades every 2-3 cuts. razor knife blades are cheap, cutting with a dull blade is frustrating/dangerous

put mat over a 2x4 - YES - THIS IS THE SECRET. put the mat over a 2x4 longer than the mat so tha the cut line is prety much on the edge of the 2x4. have someone stand on the waste side of the cut as close to the line as possible. this bends the mat and forces the cut open. this keeps the knife from being pinched between the rubber on either side and makes it easy to cut.

Use WD-40 - Maybe - I really didn't see much difference if the blade was sharp, might of made the last cut a little easier when blade was getting dull, but overall not worth the mess/effort.

Use carpet Knife - Maybe - if you already have a carpet knife and lots of blades. was no easier to cut with, blades are more expensive and dull just as fast

use a box cutter - Maybe - if by box cutter you mean a utility knife... if you mean one of those thin little slide out knives that is hard to grip, or one of those knoves that you break the blade on the score line to get to a new sharp section then I think you are just asking to get hurt, they were not designed for this kind of thing.

seriously, i marked the mat with a white china marker, put down a straight edge and scored the mat on the line, lifted the edge and slid the 2x4 under, and then made 3 or 4 passes with a razor knife... with 2 people this is really a pretty easy job...