CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Colin Jenkins

Profile:
Please Help Me

Hey, I would really appreciate some help with figuring how many zone blocks i need. I have 155 pounds of lean mass, so according to "the zone" , as a crossfitter, I should be 22 blocks a day. Is this too much? Please help, thanks!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Jonathan Greene

Profile:
Re: Please Help Me

At the Zone site I punched in your numbers and the calculator spit out 20 blocks for "very active" and 18 for "active", based on your LBM. 22 blocks would be for an "elite athlete".

The activity levels are just estimations. So you most likely will need to take your best guess for now. Then later tweak your block count after eating in the zone for a bit. Once you know how you respond to eating a certain amount at your particular activity level then you can really dial it in.

How active are you? Do you sit at a desk most of the day and then do the WOD? Do you do more training than just the WOD? How many rest days?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Colin Jenkins

Profile:

I workout 3 on 1 off. I usually do a WOD, then some Tabata or core/balance work. On top of that I usually ride a few miles on my cruiser bike everyday just going to class/gym from my house. I've been eating 18 blocks a day for a month, you think i should be eating 20 or 22?
Old 02-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Colin,
How do you feel? Where are most of your carb blocks coming from? Starches, fruit and veggies, or mostly low density veggies, a little fruit and very little starch etc.? I found that the kinds of blocks I ate had as much impact on how I felt and my body comp either improving or not as the quantity did.

If you're feeling and performing well at 18 blocks, but your body fat is inching below 10% and closer to 5%, then start upping the fat blocks. If you have some bf% to drop, then stick where you're at and increase the low density carbs. It may take a bit of tweaking from several angles until you get it right.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Colin Jenkins

Profile:

I feel pretty well, I eat almost no grains or sugar, mostly vegetables such as broccoli and green beans, and black bleans. The only bad thing I eat is I usually have 1 zone bar a day (cause I'm still in college and they're easy to eat in class). I have a pretty good energy throughout the day and I have been getting great results from workouts as well (PR'd on my Helen today by over 4 minutes!). But, my BF% is well below 7%, and I want to be eating an optimal amount for performance.

So you think stay at 18 but add more fat? or push up to 20 blocks? Thanks again
Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Colin, if you feel good, are setting PR's etc. then I would go up in fat. I think that ramping up the fat is best done gradually. Start with maybe 3x for a week or two. This also may be one of the best times to keep an eye on the scale as well. If your weight stabilizes, you don't look emaciated and performance either maintains or improves (we're of course shooting for improvement) then you may be good.

If not, then go up to 4x or 5x and so on until you hit something like 12x if you ever need to get that high. Not sure what the experts say on this, but I would wager that if you hit 12x and still haven't leveled out, THEN you need more overall blocks.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
Colin Jenkins

Profile:

Thanks for the solid advice Derek, it'll help me out a lot.