CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Brad Ford

Profile:
Crossfit and GERD (reflux)

Hi all

I have been doing Crossfit for about 4 weeks now, 4 days a week, and loving it.

Before I started I was not that overweight. Just soft if you know what I mean. Particularly in the core. Tummy area etc.

Being weak in this area meant I had what you would call a gut. A tummy that was more forward than my chest. Not a good look.

After a month of Crossfit, I am seeing a change. The tummy is stronger and holding me firm in all of my workouts.

Now my problem.

With a bigger than healthy tummy area 4 weeks ago and a good appetite one would think my stomach would hold a certain amount of food. And as my tummy muscles strengthen they are held in better. Right?

The reason I ask this is because I have been hit with nasty case of GERD. Gastric Reflux. Nasty pain in the middle/right of my chest. I know what it is as I've had it before, but not for years.

It is possible that my newer stronger, sucked in tummy, it putting pressure on my stomach, and perhaps causing this issue?

Anyone experienced some sort of Reflux after starting your CrossFit transformation?

These days I am eating smaller amounts but eating more often. That seems to help. Just curious.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and GERD (reflux)

What is your diet like? Can you give us a typical day of eating?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

It's unlikely that your stomach muscles are the problem. It *is* possible that some combination of diet, hydration, and the additional stress due to Crossfit is causing it.

Katherine
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Heartburn is often a symptom of poor digestion; often a lack of stomach acid (I know, it seems counterintuitive).

Some foods can exacerbate it (like nightshades), but you could try some digestive enzymes, and decrease your water intake with meals.

Addition of good probiotics can help, too.

(wfs) http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-d...-red-flag.html
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Brad Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
What is your diet like? Can you give us a typical day of eating?
First thing I have in the morning before I train is some Green drink. This is Barley Grass power or some such thing. Very alkaline and chock full of good stuff.

After my workout I try to eat a palm full of peanuts (for their protein) then have breakfast, Typically, breakfast is some Bircher Muesli (Oats soaked in apple juice) where I add a few cranberries, sultans and raisins and heaped tea spoon of Yogurt. I hardly ever drink cows milk (I know where it comes from) but I can't resist some cheese every so often.

Beverage during the day is usually Rooibos tea. If i drink coffee (a few a week) I usually have it with Rice milk.

During the morning I'd eat some fruilt. Apple, banana, nectarine and whatever is in season. I don't eat oranges or any citrus any more

Also (usually in the morning to as I can't keep my hands off them) I have about a handful of almonds and Brazil nuts.

Lunch is usually left over from dinner the night before. This could be anything from Spag Bol, to a mild curry, to some other stew type of thing with rice or cous cous. We don't have very spicy stuff much any more as our 4 year old can't eat it and creating 2 meals is a pain.

I use to have an insatiable appetite for hot hot chili

:

But when I got this reflux thing the first time a few years ago, and since the arrival of our little one, I avoid it.

Generally I eat pretty well, and I have not changed my diet for years with a few pizza etc exceptions. We never eat fried or take away food. (maybe twice in a year)

I have not had any reflux issues for over a year now, until this week.

What has changed in my life is Crossfit training and the reducing size of my gut.

I've heard of some really overweight people having their stomachs stapled to make them smaller. I'm not one of these people. Not by a long shot. But that does show me that if you are over weight, it is likely you are overeating and therefore having a larger than normal stomach. ie Can hold more food.

Logic tells me that if you suddenly firm up around the mid area, it must get pretty cramped in that stomach area while your body adjusts. That must push acids and stuff up. Imagine pushing on your tummy after eating a meal?

This last few days I have been eating less but more often and I seem to be getting on top of the reflux without medication.

Even after a cracking good WOD at Crossfit Brisbane today. 7 rounds of : Weighted Lunges, Chin ups, and Burpees, I'm feeling pretty good. I'm winning.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Brad Ford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Heartburn is often a symptom of poor digestion; often a lack of stomach acid (I know, it seems counterintuitive).

Some foods can exacerbate it (like nightshades), but you could try some digestive enzymes, and decrease your water intake with meals.

Addition of good probiotics can help, too.

(wfs) http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-d...-red-flag.html
Brilliant. That article is a ripper. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ford View Post
Hi all

I have been doing Crossfit for about 4 weeks now, 4 days a week, and loving it.

Before I started I was not that overweight. Just soft if you know what I mean. Particularly in the core. Tummy area etc.

Being weak in this area meant I had what you would call a gut. A tummy that was more forward than my chest. Not a good look.

After a month of Crossfit, I am seeing a change. The tummy is stronger and holding me firm in all of my workouts.

Now my problem.

With a bigger than healthy tummy area 4 weeks ago and a good appetite one would think my stomach would hold a certain amount of food. And as my tummy muscles strengthen they are held in better. Right?

The reason I ask this is because I have been hit with nasty case of GERD. Gastric Reflux. Nasty pain in the middle/right of my chest. I know what it is as I've had it before, but not for years.

It is possible that my newer stronger, sucked in tummy, it putting pressure on my stomach, and perhaps causing this issue?

Anyone experienced some sort of Reflux after starting your CrossFit transformation?

These days I am eating smaller amounts but eating more often. That seems to help. Just curious.
See your doctor.