CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #151
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: Paleo prevents Western Diseases?

Even on a high CHO diet, long term hypocaloric intake will result in weight loss.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #152
Jack Stetson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
Even on a high CHO diet, long term hypocaloric intake will result in weight loss.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but do you have some evidence to back your statement up?

Might it depend on the degree to which caloric needs are not being met? 90%, 50%, or 10%?

If my current resting metabolism uses 3500 Kcal, would a high carbohydrate diet of 3300 Kcal result in weight loss long term?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #153
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stetson View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you, but do you have some evidence to back your statement up?

Might it depend on the degree to which caloric needs are not being met? 90%, 50%, or 10%?

If my current resting metabolism uses 3500 Kcal, would a high carbohydrate diet of 3300 Kcal result in weight loss long term?
Probably not as eventually your body would decrease it's RMR, but a 500Kcal deficit probably would.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #154
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Asians tend to be more "carb tolerant" than the rest of the worlds population. With everyone else it tends to be a crapshoot.

It all depends on YOUR genetics so I don't see why people want to look at various populations for changing their diet UNLESS they are actually part of that population. Most of the time this is not the case, and thus a futile waste of time. Hell, there's even some asians I know that are not carb tolerant so going high carb is crap.

Do what works for you. Screw everyone else.

Pretty much.
That was funny. I am still fat, but 40 lbs down from strict Paleo and crossfit. When your parents are fat, you are fat, and you are married to a woman that is built like a fitness model yet eats anything she wants, your household should be all Paleo.

That's enough evidence for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #155
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Let me help everybody out here...

If you have NO trouble maintaining a healthy weight, and you eat grains and/or refined carbs - carry on.

If not. STOP! Replace the grains with vegetables.
Well said.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM   #156
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
I dunno Katherine, a lot of the people I know still experience seasonal weight changes, both the gain in the winter and the loss in the spring... It may not be as simple as people just adding a few pounds every year, though maybe it is. It would be an interesting area to do a long term study, not sure where the funding would come from.... details details
For the most part people who have gained significant weight over the time I've known them have done so gradually, just a few pounds a year.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but it makes sense. If someone balloons up by 20 pounds in six months, they'll notice. But three pounds in a year is completely ignorable. It's close enough to normal variation that someone might not even notice it at first. Maybe they gain five pounds in the fall, dismiss it because they always gain weight in the winter, but then only lose two in the spring.

Katherine
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #157
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Meats,fruits, veggies, and nuts. After reading this book I will take bits and pieces from it, but I will never cut out my whole milk or oats. Too much love for those two staples!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #158
Jagtar Mukhtar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Croke View Post
But it wasnt/is not used in hunter gatherer societies Katherine, which is the period we evolved. So the gene could not have arose because it had no use in hunter gatherer societies because they didnt/dont store large amounts of fat. So the gene would have been mute. I dont mean to sound condescending but i dont think you understand how genes are selected.
While it's fun to come up with sociobiological evolutionary hyotheses they're just guesses and any one of htem is as good as another. It's not productive to have arguments based on guesses when none of them can be demonstrated in a definitive, conclusive, scientific manner.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #159
Kevin Croke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
Genes don't arise from use/necessity, they arrive through genetic variation.

Yes and then are dropped if they dont confer apon the carrier an advantage due to use/necessity.

Rischard Dawkins "The Selfish Gene", pick it up.

And for the love of crap stop making bare unsubstanciated statements and put some substance in your posts so we might have something to discuss.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #160
Kevin Croke

Profile:

It should also be pointed out that the seasonal variation in body fat of most animals is unaffected by calorie intake. If you keep a hibernating animal from eating in caloric surplus before hibernation they still put on the same amount of fat. They take away calories from the working organs instead. The same goes for pregnant women. Its hormonal not calorie induced.