CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Justin Leigh

Profile:
Does it live up to the hype that all the health food enthusiasts say? I know it's loaded w/anti-oxidants but so are many other green foods and suppliments.

Also, because I live in a small town the only options for me to get such foods are either to buy powdered green food suppliment(like Perfect Food) or the healthfood store here sells frozen shots of wheatgrass. They come in individual packets divided like an ice cube tray, simply thaw and .... uhhh enjoy. Any reason that the frozen wheatgrass or perfect food (I am currently trying both) are a waste?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
David Birozy

Profile:
I dunno about the nutritional value. All I know is that if I can't choke it down without getting the rib splitting, spit stringing, snot dripping, eye watering, red faced dry heaves, I ain't drinking it no matter how good it is for me!!!!!!! And wheatgrass happens to be in that category!!! Other than that relatively minor drawback, I don't know much about it.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #3
Robyn Joy

Profile:

Hi Justin,

I used to use Perfect Food, which I will say is one of the only supplements I've ever taken that gave me a noticable energy boost. I stopped taking it when I read an article suggesting that a pesky neurotoxin might be present in spirulina that is implicated in causing early-onset Alzheimer's. OK, that's not something I want to play around with!

But the good news is that I guess spirulina was just tested for this toxin and cleared . . . at least according to one of the major distributors of it.

See: www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/news-ng.asp?id=60624-neurotoxin-is-absent

The other thing about Perfect Food and all the "green drinks" is that they are really only palatable if you mix them with juice. I couldn't handle it just with water but I came up with a mix of half apple-juice, half-water that seemed to to get the stuff down pretty painlessly! (It's definitely NOT in the wheatgrass category -- I even started to enjoy the taste once I figured out the mix.)

I don't know how "necessary" these green drinks are if you're already eating plenty of fruits and veggies but they sure have a great nutrition profile. I have an issue with potassium depletion (leading to severe calf cramps) and the green drinks are chock full of potassium.

I'll be interested to hear if you start using one!

Robyn

Old 08-13-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Peder Davis

Profile:  
I have used the Greens first for about one year now. Any significant improvements? It is hard to say what is attributed to CF or Zone but I do feel better and have had less sick days. I see it as cheap insurance when my schedule doesn't allow me to eat the whole foods I would like to. The company should send you a couple samples if you call them.

Peder

http://www.greensfirst.com/
Old 08-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Uh, I drink wheatgrass because it tastes good =)
Old 08-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Buy a extra-large bag of spinach at Costco.

Cheaper, better, stronger.

Brad
Old 08-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Brad,

I hate to say it buddy, but spinach is one of the absolute worst greens for pesticide contamination.

Check out the link below for info on spirulina and chlorella:

http://www.chlorellafactor.com/
Old 08-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #8
Darryl Lardizabal

Profile:  
what do you guys think is a highly reputable company in terms of green food supplements and of course the best quality?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Hmmmm reputable companies... I'm all about getting my wheatgrass at Jamba Juice 'cause I get to flirt with all those cute "granola" 19 year old girls working there while they are mowing my wheatgrass and juicing it.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Hey Guys
I am a long time WG user but truly only consider it an extra vegie in a much larger lifestyle choice.
That said forget buying WG and grow and juice your own.Growing is easy in small tubs of soil on a couple of weeks rotation.You should be able to buy the seeds in bulk(forget the spouting trays just go for soil in tubs)
Check out these style of Juicers(generally just a better choice then centrifical)
http://www.juicersaustralia.com/
Lastly you don't need to drink it straight usually I jucie WG carrot and ginger then blend it with whatever whole(peeled) fruit that is in season(right now Rockmelon and apples)and thats part of my start to the day.
See what you think