CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-02-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
So I've been doing IF ~5 days per week, sometimes more. This morning, I was up to workout early before heading to the office because after work, there's no chance of me doing a hard WOD. My IF has been running from about 8pm to noon. My question is: if I'm done working out at 6am, should I go 5 to 6 hours without any food? I know that De Vany mentioned something about fatty acid mobilization or something for three hours following a workout in one of his tirades on post-workout drinks. I actually ate breakfast today because I was starving, so I'm just wondering if I should eat breakfast after a workout or go until my IF is up with nothing.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
As far as I know, most of us doing IF have been trying to make our workouts right before we eat. Personally my workouts have been during my 'eating' periods so I have not had too much of a problem. If I can time my workout with the fast I will put it at the end of the fast so that I know I will be eating within an hour of the workout.

I would assume this follows paleo theory (having to work for your food).

Maybe you could try adjusting your fast so that you are fasting from 5-6pm to 7-8am (after your workout).
Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

I would eat! I think the main benefits are gained by an empty stomach at bed time and during training.

Robb
Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 AM   #4
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Thanks for the responses guys. Jeremy, the problem with moving my fast is that I work 4 10-hour days, so I'm not out of work till between 6 and 7. I then run and grab dinner and scarf it down, which usually means I'm done by 8:30.

So I suppose on the day's I get up, I'll cut off the fast at 11 or 12 hours (which really isn't much of a fast, I suppose). On other days, I'll go the full time. Like last night, I played basketball which meant there was a snowball's chance in Hell, Minnesota (that is the saying, right?) of me getting up to workout today.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
Chris Longley

Profile:
I've been working out on an empty stomach for a while now and it seems to have a good effect on my training. I've had trouble implementing IF with the full 15hr fast however, because of having to eat later in the evening because of mine and my partners jobs.

Robbs comment about an empty stomach at bedtime might help remedy this though.

I suppose my question is...

How many hours do need to eat before bed in order to have an empty stomach? and how many hours do you need to fast for it to be effective - is 15hrs a minimum or would 12-13hrs work just as well?

Chris
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
A Google search told me to allow 2-3 hours after eating for the stomach to be considered empty.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #7
Chris Longley

Profile:
Cheers Chris
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Good call on the empty stomach. After that, your body has enough glucose to maintain ATP production for 8-12 more hours, whereon it will switch to fatty acid hydrolysis under moderate or lower demands. Under high demand, the body preferentially catabolyzes proteinaceous tissue (muscle) for ATP production.

After a hard WOD, your body is in a nutrient-spongeing stage. Whatever you put in it for the next two hours will be utilized twice as efficiently. This goes for muscle repair, glucose storage, and fat production. If you were going to eat anything, my recommendation is that it be very protein rich, such as an egg-white omelet, or shake. This isn't the time to fat or sugar load WRT IF.