CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Jennifer Silveira

Profile:
Vegan Paleo

I'm new to CF and have been trying to eat paleo while sticking to my veganism. Does anyone else have experience with vegan paleo?

From what google tells me, anyone who has attempted and posted about it seems to give up (whether in posting about it or simply the diet itself, I can't be sure).

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Off hand it seems it would be real tough to meet your protein needs. Hopefully someone with experience in this area can offer some advice but I could see why people give up on it.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

How do you get any protein? Animal sources are obviously out of the question. Beans and soy aren't paleo. Did I overlook something?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Reilly View Post
How do you get any protein? Animal sources are obviously out of the question. Beans and soy aren't paleo. Did I overlook something?
Nuts and seeds. A LOT of them. It seems like a very very hard ordeal.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Silveira View Post
I'm new to CF and have been trying to eat paleo while sticking to my veganism. Does anyone else have experience with vegan paleo?

From what google tells me, anyone who has attempted and posted about it seems to give up (whether in posting about it or simply the diet itself, I can't be sure).

Thanks!
Are you ok with eggs from an ethical standpoint? If not I can't think of any ways to get sufficient protein unless you wanted to go with whey or something like this (WFS), although it's pretty pricey.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Jennifer Silveira

Profile:

No, I don't eat eggs. I avoid whey as well as it is derived from milk. I eat lots of vegetables, nuts and seeds, and fruits in the morning. I keep a log with a phone app that gives me the amount of calories I am consuming as well as the percentage of those calories obtained from each of the macronutrient groups. My energy levels maintain elevated and I am careful to eat a sufficient amount each day. Again, though, I am just starting out with CF and have been attempting paleo for about three weeks. Admittedly, I do have cheat days where I sneak in tofu scramble on the weekends.

I've been browsing the forum and it seems any threads on veganism are sparse and are mostly focused on why members think veganism doesn't coincide with CF. Despite that, it seems there are people this is working for.

Does anyone keep any kind of recipe blog? I've been working on getting creative but am hoping not to get bored and revert back to grains and refined sugars.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Cassie Savage

Profile:

You could maybe learn from the guy who started this thread over at veganfitness. He's a raw vegan who eats mostly fruit and seems to do fine. Then again he is an endurance athlete, so his carbohydrate needs are probably very high.

Here's the thread: http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopi...eda6c1091df53e (WFS)

My advice would be to eat tons of veggies, for vitamins and minerals of course but also for protein. Brussel sprouts for example have about 7 or 8 grams of protein for 100 calories.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Silveira View Post
I've been browsing the forum and it seems any threads on veganism are sparse and are mostly focused on why members think veganism doesn't coincide with CF. Despite that, it seems there are people this is working for.
Problem is that there are way more people it didn't work for. Building any kind of muscle mass or strength on a vegan diet is very difficult.

Ask yourself why you are a vegan. If it is for health reasons you are going find a huge amount of information disputing the fact that meat and fat are bad for you. If for animals rights reasons, well that is personal and not something you will probably change your mind on.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Ian Nigh

Profile:

I would strongly recommend you take a close look at humane and sustainable animal husbandry methods and, as Kevin says, re-evaluate your reasons for wanting to avoid animal products.
A recommended read is "The Vegetarian Myth" (WFS), Where Lierre Keith helps to point out how agricultural-based diets (veggie/vegan) are responsible for a great deal more ecosystem destruction and animal death than an intelligent and responsible omnivore's diet.
It is also about reclaiming our right to exist and eat as human animals, as a part of a greater ecosystem by which we in turn will eventually be consumed.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Ian Nigh

Profile:

a bit more reading for you:
http://talktomejohnnie.com/diet/raw-...unter-gatherer (WFS)