CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #71
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Protein powder recommendations

I'm not sure how we got onto diet, but you won't find a whole lot of love from me for the zone and I follow paleo reasonably well, but I'm certianly not of the opinion that all grains are bad. I do know that I don't do well on grains, either from a performance or BF aspect.

After the dust up with Rip, I don't have a whole lot of respect for Lyle.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #72
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Yeah I mean I certainly understand what the CF deal is as I've trained at some of the better affiliates and I go to the comp's and such. At Regionals, about half of the top 20 was in relatively impressive shape from a bodybuilding standpoint, but the other half (which presumably followed Paleo and/or Zone since pretty much everyone serious about CF does) had room for improvement. Anyway, from a performance standpoint, it's not helpful to be under 170lbs or above 8%, and a lot of CFers are. Regionals has the top 60 male/female CFers and even among them, only so many were in great shape. Those are the top 1% of CFers, so I am of the opinion that Paleo/Zone isn't that effective. You can write it of as "not caring," but I could "not care" and just follow my diet and I'll still do better than "caring a whole lot" and following Paleo/Zone. And again the whole performance difference thing is complete BS when compared to John Berardi/Lyle McDonald diet advice. Paleo/Zone improve performance when compared to layman diets.
Do you mean only a few "looked" like they were in good shape? As in, from a bodybuilding perspective? If so, they probably don't really care. They were obviously in somewhat good shape if they qualified for Regionals.

Where are you getting the 8% figure for max performance from? I've seen in a few places (probably Robb Wolf, can't remember the others) that somewhere in the 10-12% bodyfat range tends to be the best for performance. I know when I was ~8% at 180lbs I was weak, and not any faster on metcons than I am now at 200lbs and ~12-14%. Obviously that's an n=1 so it's not a rule for CFers as a whole, but I'd imagine it's not too far off.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #73
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Quote:
After the dust up with Rip, I don't have a whole lot of respect for Lyle.
Yeah, I'll go ahead and say that I think Lyle is a huge *******. But, he generally knows what he's talking about. He also thinks he's a little smarter than he really is, and gets overly semantic at times.

Quote:
Do you mean only a few "looked" like they were in good shape? As in, from a bodybuilding perspective?
Yeah.

Quote:
Where are you getting the 8% figure for max performance from? I've seen in a few places (probably Robb Wolf, can't remember the others) that somewhere in the 10-12% bodyfat range tends to be the best for performance. I know when I was ~8% at 180lbs I was weak, and not any faster on metcons than I am now at 200lbs and ~12-14%. Obviously that's an n=1 so it's not a rule for CFers as a whole, but I'd imagine it's not too far off.
Well, at 200/13% you have 174lbs of muscle vs. 166. So the extra 8lbs of muscle is probably helping you quite a lot. As a general rule, the higher your muscle mass, the stronger you'll be. And the lower your weight, the better you'll be at bodyweight stuff. So, the idea is to be as heavy as you can at a really low bodyfat percentage. Below a certain level and you start having joint problems and some other stuff. 4% is unsustainable, and anything under 8% is suspect (it basically takes time to get used to that low of body fat). But most people perform ideally at 6-8%.

Anyway the bottom line is that (a) the top athletes would benefit from being leaner and/or having a bit more muscle, and (b) most people would say they'd look better being around 200lbs (depending on height) and 6-8% fat. The fact that even a fair amount of the top athletes are not >180 and <9%, and that a lot of them follow Zone/Paleo, when these are very ascertainable stats, tells me that their diet is probably not ideal for muscle growth and/or fat loss (mostly muscle growth, it's not bad for fat loss). The main thing is the lack of carbs since it's not reasonably possible to get enough carbs for a bulk from veggies. And I guess the people that bulk on Paleo + A Gallon of Whole Milk probably put on a lot more fat than if they bulked doing a more reasonable plan.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #74
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

those BFC seem suspiciously low.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #75
Jean Masson

Profile:

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...08-g/7725?at=0 (wfs)

This looks good, what do you think?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #76
Bryce McDermott

Profile:

I'd say stick with Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard. It's clean, tastes good, has way less fillers than some of the others, and is pretty reasonably priced. The best recovery formula for your body immediately post-workout is a 2:1 carbrotein ratio. I don't want to write an essay, but I'd definitely recommend getting a waxy maize carbohydrate (like mentioned above). Try CARBSLAM by PrimaForce or Optimum makes GlycoMaize, both good options. It might make your shake a little chalky, but the simple carbs spike your insulin level post workout and help your body uptake and utilize the protein.

tl;dr - Optimum Gold Standard Whey, or Dymatize Whey. There's also gluten free options from Dymatize.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #77
Chris Mason

Profile:

Waxy maize = waste of money.

Waxy maize has no significant benefits for glycogen replenishment and it is quite expensive. I researched the heck out of it about a year ago as I was considering selling it. I could make more money on it, but I did not feel it offered any real unique benefits.