CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Michael Whities

Profile:
First CrossFit in 3 hours...

I'm going up to my local box soon and do my first work out. I'm sure it will be a lot of instruction more than anything. Hopefully I won't do to bad.

When I get back, if I'm still alive, I'll post my work out in the Work Out Log section of the forum. What's a good meal to eat pre-workout? I'm going to try to be ready for my (__Y__) to be handed to me, I need the energy.

Wish me luck!

Michael
Old 12-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Michael Whities

Profile:
Re: First CrossFit in 3 hours...

Ok, so I almost threw up. I'm posting this on my iPhone so, I'll post everything I did when I get home and hopefully not feeling like I'm going to pass out or throw up.

Michael
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

A huge and CONGRATS!!!

Please manage muscle soreness. I'm sure it will hit you full force in 2 days. Glad you made it through without puking, but it seems a good number of people have the same feeling during their first workout. I know I've seen a couple of noobs at my box take a duck behind the bushes on their first workout, so you're doing just fine.

How was it other than the feeling of wanting to meet Pukie? How well do you think your coach will be able to adapt to your needs? How confident are you about all this?

On your question about pre-workout meals, I work out on a nearly empty stomach. I eat lunch and then work out 4 hours later. Lunch can't be too big or else I'm in for a boat load of fail. This works for me, though. Then I eat within an hour or two of working out, or else I fall on my face. Black box it and see what works for you.

Again, the first time in is the hardest mentally. Physically, it never gets any easier. It just gets heavier and faster.

Last edited by Emily Maisannes; 12-20-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Michael Whities

Profile:

Thanks Emily.

I'm going to keep stretching a little here and there and try to stay "loose". I also have some whey protein I'm going to drink along with a good dinner of chicken breasts.

Soreness does usually hit me two days after, that's what I've found out before. I'm ready as I can be for it.

Pukie was close and had to swallow air a few times to help keep it down. This being my first work out, I can't really say what or how he will adapt. I see it as something him and I will have to learn together. He stated from the first time I talked with him that he was already thinking of different ways to modify works outs for me to be able to do a comparable Rx'd work out. I'm pretty confident that I am going to be able to do this. I'm going to have to learn to do things slightly different to get the same results as others. Who knows, maybe I can encourage other handicapped people to join CrossFit in their areas and with training, I can make it to a level I or II trainer and sart my own box. (I'd love to do that. AND this is after my FIRST and ONLY work out so far.... yes, I'm addicted. The Journals and everything CF I've been reading/watching has me pumped up and ready to go.)

I wish you would've posted that earlier about eating. I think that's one of the reasons I nearly met Pukie.. Food was still heavy on the stomach.

I'm off to eat and hope my legs don't give out on me. I'll post my workout after I put my son to bed tonight.

Michael
Old 12-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Rather than lots of static stretching on cold muscles, do some dynamic stretching as part of daily life when you're stiff. If when you stand up, your quads hurt, kick your butt a few times. Little stuff like that helps. Static stretching before a workout has been shown to have detrimental effects on performance.

A good book on stretching is called "Stretching Scientifically". I actually bought it back in 2000 (I think) and it changed my thoughts on stretching. It's a pretty good method. Make sure you're doing full ROM on every exercise, and you're most of the way there, as far as flexibility is concerned.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Michael Whities

Profile:

I'll need to start incorporate stretching into my work out (right after) and possibly first thing in the AM. (As you stated, part of my daily life. :P)

My quads are hurting pretty good now! I've kicked myself in the butt a few times already. I've never done stretching before a workout. I read somewhere this last week, the samething you just stated. So, it's ingrained pretty good.

I'll check out the book. I just bought Enter the Zone off Ebay so, I should be able to find this as well. I tried looking at the FAQ for the definition of ROM but, I didn't see it. What is it again? Ohh wait... (full) Range Of Motion?

I FEEL that I'm doing the full ROM... I know I started getting sloppy near the end today. I'm about to post my first CF workout in logs. Hope you all don't laugh to much.

Michael
Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

If you want a walk down my humility road, read the first couple of pages of my log. SHEESH!!!

ROM=range of motion

I need to get Enter the Zone still. I'd also like to get Mastering the Zone.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Michael Whities

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post
If you want a walk down my humility road, read the first couple of pages of my log. SHEESH!!!

ROM=range of motion

I need to get Enter the Zone still. I'd also like to get Mastering the Zone.
I'll check it out in a few. My wife kicked me off my system and I hate Vista (actually, this machine is to old for it) so I reinstalled XP on it.

Thought so.

I haven't received it yet, I'm guessing it will be after New Years before it gets here. I had just ordered it a few days ago.

Michael