CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Mark Collins

Profile:
Crossfit Ad Campaign

Hello everyone,

We're putting together an ad campaign that is going to run once a week in our local paper that is basically a "top ten reasons" your traditional gym is a waste of time. I know it's nothing new, but come on that one never gets old! I have a ton of good stuff, obviously, but am always looking for as much feedback and opinion that I can find. The whole campaign in a nut shell is basically a spoof on the traditional gym and it's methodology. I currently have funny, scientific, testimonials, etc., you name it, it's all fair game

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Ad Campaign

I would focus more on the good things you do rather than the inadequacies you see in the traditional gym model. Generating negative karma among business owners in a small town like Bozeman is not likely to bring you the positive attention you're looking for.

Tell people what you do, focus on some success stories, and keep things positive. Doing the stereotypical "WE'RE CF, WE'RE SO ELEEET" chest-beating thing is either going to scare potential clients away or get you made fun of.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

I second what Eric says. I would highlight what you offer and why your service is so great instead of downplaying the competition. Thing like individual attention, great atmosphere, learning to use your body better, being able to do the things that you used to do as a kid (handstands, tumbling, etc.), obvious and trackable progress, etc.

I know that I've done the chest-beating thing that Eric has described in the past, and it never goes over well. I regret it quite a bit now, actually. Now I just wait for people to ask me what it is that I do or why it is that I do it, and then I take them through the reasons why and what it's done for me.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #4
Michael Dowling

Profile:

i agree focus on the benefits of crossfit rather than dogging someones routine or gym they may be loyal to. people are more likely to respond to the "give it a shot you may like it, you could even supplement your current routine" rather than "your current routine is a complete waste of time and your gym sucks", it really won't go over well coming from a guy who is 150 lbs soaking wet who can do muscle ups until he's blue in the face telling it to a guy who has lifted at his globo for 10 years and can lift a truck.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Not every person that goes to a gym has the same goals as CF's.

99.9999% of the time you degrade something a person does they will defend it passionately and not listen to what you are saying.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Everyone has already given you the best advice, brag on the benefits you provide, not that you're better than something else.

Most people don't step foot in a gym or are too afraid to try crossfit specifically because of intimidation, a common thread that comes up here is people feeling they won't fit in or like they need to train up in order to prepare themself for beginning crossfit. So to me the ideal ad campaign will emphasize the all inclusive and non-intimidating scalable aspect of crossfit, as well as the community.
Perhaps a series of testimonial based spreads including pictures (be sure to show a mix of people that includes average looking folks, not just all the "perfect" bodies created by cf), showing the results, improvements in life, and how included or welcomed they were in the community you could include for example someone who started overweight, someone rehabbing from an injury, a senior member, and someone who was already fit before starting maybe even as was mentioned someone who is just supplementing an existing primary training plan with cf (marathon/tri competitive members are good for this). The key is to show that crossfit is for everyone, if unfit you can get fit, if already fit you can get even more fit. something like "Disclaimer: Results ARE typical" to counter the usual extreme success success stories from gyms/meds that say "results not typical"
Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
"Disclaimer: Results ARE typical" to counter the usual extreme success success stories from gyms/meds that say "results not typical"
That's actually our exact slogan, for all the reasons you listed.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
That's actually our exact slogan, for all the reasons you listed.
Oops, sorry wasn't meaning to infringe on your slogan! I probably saw it at some point and subconsciously recalled it when thinking of this. Either way, good slogan ;-)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

No worries!

Just thought it was cool that someone had the same idea.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
Matt Hezel

Profile:

I would emphasize the community that an affiliate becomes for everyone of the members. I like to think of it as a tribe that in general eats, thinks and cheers together.

I like to believe that most affiliates are similar to the one I belong to and that everyone cheers for those that are still working on the WOD. A lot of times people stay through the next class to talk and cheer.

Another part of this important community aspect is that everyone is/should be accepted for their level of fitness. Every globo that I have been always seems to foster an unspoken negative competition between everyone, whether its the trainer's attitude or the scathing looks from the gym rats at the begginner putting up low weights. At an affiliate you do your best and when you improve, and everyone does, it is noticed and praised by your fellow Crossfitters.

This community aspect is huge and probably one of the most marketable parts for an affiliate. I look forward to seeing my friends at the affiliate much more than I did when I walked into a big unfriendly globo. An affiliate that has members that care for the other members makes it much more then a gym but a place where everyone knows your name.