CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:
Tabata Scoring

Let me get this staright...you do 8 rounds of an exercise and score the lowest set? Is there a particular reason its scored like this?

Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of the workout? I mean, what happens when I do 35 pu's a set for the first 7 sets and then can only manage 3 for the last set? But another guy does 10 pu's per set and gets 10 as his lowest set. He's scored a 10 for the tabata and me a 3....

Better yet...same scenerio...I do 35 a set and 3 on the last round. I record a 3. 2 months later I go back and do 40 a set but again score only 3 on the last round....have I improved?

Seems to me that the highest (probably the first round) and the lowest (should be the last) should be thrown out and the mean or median taken of the other 6 rounds.

If this has already been discussed, forgive me. I did a search and wasnt able to find such a topic.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:
Re: Tabata Scoring

Move along...nothing to see here...LOL

I post this and it finds 5 or six different threads with darn near the same title at the bottom of my post. Sorry bout that.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
James Francis

Profile:

Jason, We are practically Neighbors, I live in sylvania and workout at UA in Sylvania. As for the scoring, I reviewed the others posts and I believe I have some perspective to offer. When you improve, you can base it more easily on your 'lowest' score much easier than any other set. So, just because you score a 4 or 2 on a given exercise, next time you get it to a 5 or 6 you will easily be able to see, it isn't about anyone 'seeing' or anyone else's impression, it is about you improving your weakness...because by improving your weakest spot, the whole you is stronger and more fit...

GL and STRIVE
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:

James...good to see others in the area posting. I was just out in your neck of the woods last week working a hockey game at Tam-o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Francis View Post
When you improve, you can base it more easily on your 'lowest' score much easier than any other set. So, just because you score a 4 or 2 on a given exercise, next time you get it to a 5 or 6 you will easily be able to see,
Dont get me wrong...I understand the concept but I think its flawed. As I stated...I may do 40 reps per set and only manage 10 on one set...my score is then a 10. Next month I can dog it and only do 15 reps per set and get 15 on all sets...did I improve? Based on my score of 15 I did but I did less work over all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Francis View Post
it isn't about anyone 'seeing' or anyone else's impression, it is about you improving your weakness...because by improving your weakest spot, the whole you is stronger and more fit...

GL and STRIVE
I agree...and thats why I love CF. But this issue caught my attention when I watched the tabata push up video on the main site. They point out that the pair were doing x amount of reps per set to maximize their scores. What does that accomplish?

I guess thats the real question...why would they do it like that?

-J
Old 12-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Tom Reyes

Profile:

My understanding of the Tabata "lowest set" scoring has to do with the initial application of the 20:10 work/rest application. It was introduced by Dr. Tabata to assist his bicycle athletes with an increase in VO2 max, and increase work capacity. The idea was not to 100% tax the athletes quickly, but rather to keep them at a high level of work over the entire set of 20:10 work/rest cycles. He would find out what the max wattage the athletes could hold, then would have them do the Tabata workout sessions from start to finish at 85% of their max wattage. Tabata isn't about "dash and crash," It's about going consistently hard throughout the entire workout. If your first set gets you 25 reps, and your last set gets you only 3, you're missing the boat on this particular type of exercise. Try holding back a bit in the start, so you can finish at or near the same number of reps, or if you're a glutten, push yourself harder to not fall off pace. Now, that being said, there is a Tabata workout that counts max reps, but thats for max reps, not lowest score. I could be wrong here, but this is my understanding of why Tabata is a lowest score only.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
My understanding of the Tabata "lowest set" scoring has to do with the initial application of the 20:10 work/rest application. It was introduced by Dr. Tabata to assist his bicycle athletes with an increase in VO2 max, and increase work capacity. The idea was not to 100% tax the athletes quickly, but rather to keep them at a high level of work over the entire set of 20:10 work/rest cycles. He would find out what the max wattage the athletes could hold, then would have them do the Tabata workout sessions from start to finish at 85% of their max wattage. Tabata isn't about "dash and crash," It's about going consistently hard throughout the entire workout. If your first set gets you 25 reps, and your last set gets you only 3, you're missing the boat on this particular type of exercise. Try holding back a bit in the start, so you can finish at or near the same number of reps, or if you're a glutten, push yourself harder to not fall off pace. Now, that being said, there is a Tabata workout that counts max reps, but thats for max reps, not lowest score. I could be wrong here, but this is my understanding of why Tabata is a lowest score only.
Exactly the response I was looking for. Thanks, Tom.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
James Francis

Profile:

Jason, just FYI I live on the same 'side street' as Tam-O...my house is <.1miles from Tamo...so you were VERY CLOSE. I saw you were close to me why I posted my first post in the forum. From what I see there aren't many cf'ers from this area...so touch bases sometime and maybe we can hit a workout or 2...
Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
Jason Wilbarger

Profile:

Sounds like a plan, James.

I was talking to my buddy the other night and he was wondering where, or better yet, what UA is. He lives right out there on Central and usually goes to Rogue when he hits an affiliate.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
Robert Beckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Reyes View Post
He would find out what the max wattage the athletes could hold, then would have them do the Tabata workout sessions from start to finish at 85% of their max wattage. Tabata isn't about "dash and crash," It's about going consistently hard throughout the entire workout.
I understood it to be just the opposite, but I can't remember where I came by this impression. I think it was from reading something Gant Grimes wrote that sounded pretty convincing. Tom, you seem to now what you're talking about. Do you have a link to this info by any chance?

When I've done Tabata intervals, I've recorded my score for each interval, then (next time I do that Tabata workout), tried to beat each interval's score. So if I got 485 watts on the erg during the fifth interval last time, I try to beat 485 on the fifth interval this time. It's cool to graph multiple workouts like this in Excel and see the curves stack higher and higher. Usually my 2nd interval is the highest and the 2nd to last is lowest.

Of course this approach doesn't give you a nice single-number score.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Tom Reyes

Profile:

There are a few sites out there. All links in this posting are w/f/s. The first one does a decent job explaining it, there's a way in there to find the initial study published, if you're interested. I've found there's way too much scientific med-speak in those journal articles, and I don't really pay attention as much as I should.
As it turns out, I was a bit off, it was research for the Japanese speed skating team, but the workouts were done on stationary bikes.
http://www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM
http://www.tabataprotocol.com/