CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
dustin depanicis

Profile:  
:new:im new here and well as you saw from the title i will be going special forces here soon and i really need something that is gonna give me that edge during training.. they are gonna be pushing me to the limit with things like 15 mile rucksack (80 lbs on your back) runs and things of this nature.. the volume of some of these wod's are laughable.. i mean yea there are some that really look outstanding but a 7 minute workout (chelsea i believe) doesnt look like its going to do enough for me.. do i add anything in like running or swimming.. also what do you think the best frequency (3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off) for someone that is doing special forces? thanks in advance guys :-)
Old 01-10-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

First of all - Welcome! Best of luck to you! Before you scoff at the WODs, give them a shot. You want a real taste of pain? Crank your intensity all the way up.

Other guys with more experience will chime in on this one, I'm sure.

-Jay
Old 01-10-2004, 06:39 AM   #3
David Heyer

Profile:
Dustin,
In your situation, I would do the WOD, and ruck march daily. Find out your weakness and work on it. For instance, if you are weak at side stroke swimming, work on your TECHNIQUE not endurance/speed/power/etc. Technique work is the best way of becoming more efficient at a given task (swimming, ruck humping, O-course, running, etc.). Technique work should not be confused with athletic/physical fitness conditioning. If you are becoming fatigued while working on technique STOP, you are actually becoming worse at that activity. It is counterproductive to do so!
All of the activities you will be performing at the Q-course can be improved with technique work. Even walking with the ruck, work on proper technique and GRADUALLY add weight/distance.
Do the WOD for your conditioning, everything else is technique work. Perform the WOD AFTER the technique work! Go with the 3/1, and do some easy training such as flexibility and technique only on the off days.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Dave
Old 01-10-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I second what David said. Many, many individuals in the special forces use CrossFit. We even have people who started in CrossFit and then joined the special forces. The individual about whom I am thinking blew the physical test that he was required to take away. If one puts forth a full effort, even the fittest individual won't find the volume "laughable". If after doing the WOD, you aren't feeling extremely taxed, then I would submit that the effort put forth was lacking.

Good luck to you and you might also want to take a look at the "law enforcement"section of this forum.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 AM   #5
dustin depanicis

Profile:  
cool thanks for the warm welcome and everything gentlemen.. a few more questions though about today's (sat.) wod.. it says cleans, what kind of cleans though? and what kind of rest are we takling about? and lastly, should you always do the weight shown? and if you cant get a certain number of reps (in this case 63 regular dips) should you just go to muscular failure?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You don't have to do all the reps consecutively. Most of these workout you just do what you can until your heartrate maxes out or your muscles fail, take a brief breather, and go at it again. Repeat until done. Every second counts against your time.

A comment on the WOD: Coach (Greg Glassman, who created CrossFit and puts the workouts together) is a genius at creating workouts that look easy when you read them. I think he does it on purpose. The thing to know is that you flat out can never "own" these workouts like you could own, for example, a PT regimen. It could be that your unit does "x" pushups, "y" pullups, and an "z" mile run every day, and you're kicking everybodies ***. If you start doing these workouts consistently, you will find that they will wipe you out if you amp up the intensity.

The goal is to stimulate your whole system in an unpredictable way which causes your body to adapt to a host of stressors in a positive way. I did a workout yesterday that took me just over 8 minutes, but I guarantee you my body is still recovering.

As far as volume: try Chelsea. If you complete it you will have done 150 pullups, 300 pushups, and 450 squats in 30 minutes. I can't state this with certainty, but I would wager that would seriously challenge almost any active duty Special Forces guys out there. I'm sure many would complete it, but I don't think they would want to do it every day.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
dustin depanicis

Profile:  
cool thanks for clearing that up.. so im gonna do say 63 dips as many as i can and i want to do it to where time is going against me..how long should i wait in between regular sets tho? it says do 21-15-and 9 reps of cleans and ring dips.. so i do.. 21 reps of cleans, rest just enough time to where i can then get 15, rest till i can get 9. .then rest until i feel like i can do all the dips? or is there a certain time your supposed to wait between each exercise
Old 01-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Dustin,

Welcome to Crossfit.

I took a shot at answering your first question in the comments section of that WOD (available from the main page at http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/move...i?entry_id=287.

Since we are trying to get this as fast as possible, only rest as needed (unless you're holding back on intensity for the day).

As far as modifications go, some people regularly modify the workout to suit their needs. If you want an insane challenge add more weight. If the weight indicated is really demanding you have two options - lower the weight, or break up the sets and take extended rests if needed. Alternating between these two strategies for sequential WODs may help. If you can't do the reps listed for a bodyweight exercise, then you may want to try assisted reps (i.e. Gravitron) and/or negatives. Frequent supplemental work outside the WOD using submaximal intensity/volume has aided many.

Good luck with your training!

-Ryan

P.S. - While I was writing this post, Barry posted his info. Sorry if some of it is repetitious.

Old 01-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I was in the Canadian Forces and I recommend a s**tload of push-ups, sit-ups and chin -ups.

You'll only need to run about 4 miles at most,but at speed. Try to do 4 miles in 30 mins. If you ruck you only need to do it once or twice before you go to get your shins ready. When you can run 4 miles fast then walking with a ruck isn't too big of a deal.
What I used to do is run in the A.M and later I'd do 25 push-ups and 25 sit-ups every commercial break during Star Trek:The Next Generation. You don't need to do it exactly like that. Hell, you could even do it during the commercial breaks of Deep Space Nine.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #10
Nancy E. Blacker

Profile:  
howdy to all: I am new to the crossfit game - what are anyone's thoughts on the "train to muscle failure" concept. It seems that Pavel says if you work to muscle failure then you train yourself to fail. I have read other that say the same. However, the other school of thought...Bill Philips etc..recommend lifting a weight to muscle failure at a given number of reps...Now I'm hopelessly confused. What say ye?

thanks.