CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #21
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Very simply stated, are there any "rules" to derive the benefits of IF? For example, 15 or 20 hours minimum fasting ? Every other day, or every 3rd day, or just random ? Etc. ???

Many years ago, I followed (partially,) Paul Bragg's eating regimen. As I recall, it was no breakfast (ever,) and one water-only 24 hour fast weekly. I think it may have also included one 3 day water-only fast monthly and/or one water-only 1 week fast ( yikes !) seasonally and/or anually.

I find the no breakfast and sporadically no breakfast or lunch, relatively easy to do. I'm wondering how much of IF's benefit's I'm likely to enjoy doing this.

Thanks

Eddie
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"So what is more beneficial eating between 9am-6pm everyday or totally skipping 1 full day say 6pm tuesday-9am Thursday?"

What I have learned from fasting info is that the longer the fast...the deeper the cleaning the body does...so I would guess longer fasts would be more beneficial than shorter ones that may only get so far and never get deeper into the tissues....just my guess. Dr Bragg believes it better that way.

People usually start with 1 day water...then build into 3....7days. With shorter fasts they would probably not get the detoxification results they were looking for.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #23
Kevin McKay

Profile:
The longest I have done is 7 days water only but it did not feel super healthy. I am looking for something to do on a weekly basis.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #24
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
7 days is a very long time to not eat. I can't imagine the meals that would ensue post fast to make up for lost time.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:35 AM   #25
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Thanks for the input everyone. Right now I'm doing strength training 3Xweek and HIIT 2Xweek. I've schedule my strength sessions so that they coincide perfectly with my fast ending. For my HIIT sessions, I don't eat for around 4-5 hours PWO. Yesterday was an HIIT session and oddly enough, I did not feel one bit hungry in the ensuing 5 hours period!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 PM   #26
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Kevin, I don't know if one day a week without any other fasting is enough. I find that I get the best results by fasting 18-20 hours a day and eating for 4-6. This means that 140 hours of 168 hours in a week I'm fasting. Sounds extreme but if you're getting in enough calories it is incredible. Why not go with a daily 15 hour overnight fast and then still fast for one full day during the week? I think that would be solid.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 AM   #27
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
I find that I get the best results by fasting 18-20 hours a day and eating for 4-6. This means that 140 hours of 168 hours in a week I'm fasting.

I fast for 162 hours a week by limiting myself to breakfast, lunch and dinner. Each meal takes 15 minutes to eat. No snacks between meals. So I fast for aprox. 23 hours and 15 minutes a day. I'm getting great results with this. All numbers off the charts.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 AM   #28
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
That's not IF though...the fast total comes from the longest time you go without eating, not how long it takes you to eat individual meals.

In IF terms that would be two little fasts (between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner) and one longer fast (between dinner and breakfast).
Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #29
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Just did 38 hr and it was hard headachs dizzy do you adapt? I don't know if I can hang with that every week, I will try only eating between 8am - 4pm and see how that goes.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #30
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Brian, sometimes it's best not to justify certain posts with a response.