CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
question on counting fats in macros

So this may be a dumb question, but do any of you count the fat in the meats you eat for your macros? I dont, and ive never really thought about it because i assume if im eating enough protein each day(all from meat/eggs except my Nitrean shake PWO) my fats should probably be pretty close to correct too. Im just wondering, because im about to give IF a try and want to make sure i have enough fats on my non-training days because ill be eating less carbs on those days. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: question on counting fats in macros

oh also when i eat beef it usually isnt grass-fed unless i can get it from a local farm, i know that changes the fat profile. I stick to beef, chicken, bison and tuna/salmon for my meats.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

When I count macros, I just enter my food on MyFitnessPal and it calculates everything for me.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

I count everything.

100g of protein from chicken breast will have far fewer calories than from the same amount of 80% lean hamburger, or even dark meat chicken.

It really depends on your goals.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
When I count macros, I just enter my food on MyFitnessPal and it calculates everything for me.
Paulo, how time consuming is it to enter all that jazz into the computer? My wife did it on her phone for a couple weeks and it took forEVER doing it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dries View Post
I count everything.

100g of protein from chicken breast will have far fewer calories than from the same amount of 80% lean hamburger, or even dark meat chicken.

It really depends on your goals.
Goal is to cut a little body fat, not necessarily lose much weight. I just figure i may be taking in more fats than i think in my meat sources so that may be the easiest place to start cutting.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Paulo, how time consuming is it to enter all that jazz into the computer? My wife did it on her phone for a couple weeks and it took forEVER doing it that way.

Goal is to cut a little body fat, not necessarily lose much weight. I just figure i may be taking in more fats than i think in my meat sources so that may be the easiest place to start cutting.
Takes seconds on the phone.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Takes seconds on the phone.
I agree. The phone app has a scanner that makes it really convenient. Also it saves all of your food entries, so if you are consistently eating the same things you just click on the item, change the portion size and move on. Too easy!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I was tracking everything for six months, and sometimes weighing but now just eyeball and guesstimate calories and protein.

If you don't intentionally avoid fat, you'll get enough. Or I do anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
I agree. The phone app has a scanner that makes it really convenient. Also it saves all of your food entries, so if you are consistently eating the same things you just click on the item, change the portion size and move on. Too easy!!
ok she must just be slow then im going to download and track for a couple days to make sure im pretty consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
I was tracking everything for six months, and sometimes weighing but now just eyeball and guesstimate calories and protein.

If you don't intentionally avoid fat, you'll get enough. Or I do anyway.
i dont avoid it, i was actually thinking i might be eating too many fats. Every day i eat almond butter, cook my meats and sautee my veggies in coconut oil, drink a little heavy cream in my coffee and drink a big glass of whole milk 2-3 days a week(generally on off days). Thats why i was curious as to how much fat i was taking in from my meats, because i never factored that into my diet plan. And i eat 16-18oz of meat every day so i figured it would add up in the end.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
ok she must just be slow then im going to download and track for a couple days to make sure im pretty consistent

i dont avoid it, i was actually thinking i might be eating too many fats. Every day i eat almond butter, cook my meats and sautee my veggies in coconut oil, drink a little heavy cream in my coffee and drink a big glass of whole milk 2-3 days a week(generally on off days). Thats why i was curious as to how much fat i was taking in from my meats, because i never factored that into my diet plan. And i eat 16-18oz of meat every day so i figured it would add up in the end.
It would add up though the main factor is the total calories, whether you're over/under maintenance. You're getting enough protein for sure. Depends what you consider too much fat, and as you know there are opinions. Mainstream recommendations are generally < 30% calories from fat, 10% from saturated.

If you're concerned about saturated fat specifically you can also use olive oil for sauteing and salads and use fish especially as one source of your meat - if you don't already. The omega 3 in grass fed meat is ALA and doesn't amount to much unless you are eating kilos of it per day.

Generally for athletic purposes fat intake is simply what's left after meeting your protein and carb recommendations (and booze as the case may be).