CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

I'm ready to take the plunge into investing in bulk quantities of grass-fed beef, but I have a few questions for those of you who already do:

1. What is a good price? The best I've found is $5.80/lb. This is for 36 lbs at 20% steaks, 30% roast, and 50% ground beef. It includes shipping.
It is actually cheaper to buy this smaller quantity b/c shipping is out of control for a whole side of beef.

2. Are all grass-fed meats created equal? Specifically, do other grass-fed red meats such as lamb, goat, buffalo, venison, etc have the same benefits of beef in terms of CLA, creatine, omega 3/6 ratio, etc. I'd really like to buy a lamb or two, if they are.

3. How often can you eat it? I know it isn't that great to consume conventional beef since it can have a high content of unfavorable fat. But it seems that you would be very healthy, if not more so by eating primarily grass-fed meat. I tend to eat one thing per day since its easier to prepare. So I'd probably eat about 1-1.5 lbs per day depending on whether or not I eat a meal of eggs or protein powder.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #2
Bob Inn

Profile:  
Mike,
I have had great reliable service with Williamson Farms. I talked for a while with the owner on the phone. Their web site is www.grassfednaturalbeef.com . Their package is more than $5.80 per pound, but I think they have a higher steak to ground beef ratio. Shipping of anything perishable is not going to be cheap and may depend on where you live.
The product is high quality. I can taste the difference. It is more flavorful.
I don't know the answer to your other questions as far as all grass fed meats being equal. Like anything I would think that variety would be best. I'm sure they are all slightly different as far as nutritional costs and benefits.

Be sure not to overcook grassfed beef steak cuts (fillet, strip loin - NY strip, T-bones, rib eye, porterhouse) or they will be dry and tough because of the lower fat content. Often cuts labelled "roasts" (top round, bottom round, chuck roasts)need to be cooked with a slow moist method, a.k.a. braising, stewing or pot roasting. They need to be cooked long enough to break down the connective tissue in the coarse muscle fibers. What Williamson Farms labels as kabob meat would fall into this second category (slow moist cooking method). If you made kabobs out of it and just grilled it you would get a real jaw work out.
Hope this helps,
Bob