CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Alex Beasley
Member Alex Beasley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Reading  England
Posts: 84
Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

As some of you read in a thread I made a short while back, despite owning some weightlifting shoes, I'm looking into just getting a standard training shoe, and am looking to ditch my Adidas Power Perfect 2's.

As someone who doesn't compete in Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting (and after having low bar squatted and deadlifted with chuck taylors, I can say I much prefer it to doing them with the Oly shoes) I don't see any point in myself using Oly shoes. Not flexible enough to do front squat? Then I need to stretch my ankles out, not rely on a shoe to do it for me. That's the way I personally see it.

An even more compelling reason for ditching Oly shoes (in my mind) is that them being a crutch is made very apparent when you're visiting a friend and they ask if you want to lift with them, but you're hesitant as you haven't got your shoes...it changes how the lifts feel completely, and it used to be that I'd rather not lift than have to adjust to not having my shoes, which would make me weaker.

All of this has just brought me to the opinion that I'm better off not using my WL shoes, as slick as they are. Feel awkward, was a crutch for flexibility issues, and meant that I was only at my strongest/most comfortable/most optimal for lifting when wearing them...yeah, can't say that they made me confident of being prepared for everyday stuff.


Anyone else ditch their WL shoes/avoid them because of similar thought?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Saying that lifting shoes are a crutch is like saying that chalk is a crutch because it helps you hold barbells you wouldn't otherwise be able to hold, or that barbells are a crutch because they allow you to incrementally load your squat or deadlift with a perfectly symmetrical load and in a way that you wouldn't be able to by squatting or deadlifting heavy rocks.

Lifting shoes are a tool that help you get stronger, just like a hammer is a tool that helps you drive nails more efficiently. Feel free to beat on nails with a crescent wrench all you want.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
All of this has just brought me to the opinion that I'm better off not using my WL shoes, as slick as they are. Feel awkward, was a crutch for flexibility issues, and meant that I was only at my strongest/most comfortable/most optimal for lifting when wearing them...yeah, can't say that they made me confident of being prepared for everyday stuff.
Yes, of course your optimal situation for lifting will be a perfectly balanced weight on a precisely knurled bar, with a good solid base for your feet and rigid stable shoes. No, you won't be able to lift as much if it's a driftwood log on sand. Your point?

Stronger is stronger.

My gym has a Pendlay competition grade women's olympic bar and Werksan competition bumpers. That equipment is much more pleasant to use than a men's powerlifting bar with iron plates. I can't deadlift as much with a men's bar: my hands are too small and my grip fails. But I'm pretty sure that my back and legs are stronger because I don't train with grip-limited equipment all the time.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Michael Travis
Member Michael Travis is offline
 
Michael Travis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 232
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Saying that lifting shoes are a crutch is like saying that chalk is a crutch because it helps you hold barbells you wouldn't otherwise be able to hold, or that barbells are a crutch because they allow you to incrementally load your squat or deadlift with a perfectly symmetrical load and in a way that you wouldn't be able to by squatting or deadlifting heavy rocks.

Lifting shoes are a tool that help you get stronger, just like a hammer is a tool that helps you drive nails more efficiently. Feel free to beat on nails with a crescent wrench all you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Yes, of course your optimal situation for lifting will be a perfectly balanced weight on a precisely knurled bar, with a good solid base for your feet and rigid stable shoes. No, you won't be able to lift as much if it's a driftwood log on sand. Your point?

Stronger is stronger.

My gym has a Pendlay competition grade women's olympic bar and Werksan competition bumpers. That equipment is much more pleasant to use than a men's powerlifting bar with iron plates. I can't deadlift as much with a men's bar: my hands are too small and my grip fails. But I'm pretty sure that my back and legs are stronger because I don't train with grip-limited equipment all the time.

Katherine
So in your guys' opinion, where would lifting straps fit in with things like rows, deads, etc.? It seems most CF'ers are against straps, so in your opinion(s), would they be considered a tool such as chalk, different bars, shoes, etc., Or are they a crutch? Thanks guys
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Straps are ok for stuff like 3x3 heavy clean/snatch pulls done at >100% of clean/snatch 1RM. For deadlifts and rows I'd generally say you should be able to grip whatever you want to pull...particularly for high-rep DB rows, which are particularly good for developing grip strength. If you get in a habit of using straps every time you deadlift or row heavy you're going to leave your grip strength lagging behind the rest of your strength.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Mike Hollister
Member Mike Hollister is offline
 
Mike Hollister's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bellingham  WA
Posts: 407
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Straps are great for saving your hands. Put em on when you have strength left in the tank but your hands are close to ripping.
__________________
http://www.templestrong.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
Alex Beasley
Member Alex Beasley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Reading  England
Posts: 84
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Saying that lifting shoes are a crutch is like saying that chalk is a crutch because it helps you hold barbells you wouldn't otherwise be able to hold, or that barbells are a crutch because they allow you to incrementally load your squat or deadlift with a perfectly symmetrical load and in a way that you wouldn't be able to by squatting or deadlifting heavy rocks.

Lifting shoes are a tool that help you get stronger, just like a hammer is a tool that helps you drive nails more efficiently. Feel free to beat on nails with a crescent wrench all you want.
Totally agree, they're a tool to be used, but one that can become a crutch. I found that without my shoes I was unable to lift as much, that it felt completely different, and I wasn't as good without them...not exactly good for GPP, then, surely?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
David Alexander
Member David Alexander is offline
 
David Alexander's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winston-Salem  NC
Posts: 285
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
Totally agree, they're a tool to be used, but one that can become a crutch. I found that without my shoes I was unable to lift as much, that it felt completely different, and I wasn't as good without them...not exactly good for GPP, then, surely?
I think you missed his point. Answer this question: Why do you use a barbell for deadlifts?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Alex Beasley
Member Alex Beasley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Reading  England
Posts: 84
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
I think you missed his point. Answer this question: Why do you use a barbell for deadlifts?
Because you need a bar to deadlift.

But you don't need a pair of lifting shoes to lift. It makes it easier - there's a difference. And whereas you can lift with a different bar if you go to another gym, if you don't have your shoes on you when you're somewhere else, it'll make a noticeable difference in how you can train, ie it's a crutch.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Keith Miller
Member Keith Miller is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewisville  TX
Posts: 691
Re: Anyone else own a pair of WL shoes but no longer use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Beasley View Post
Because you need a bar to deadlift.

But you don't need a pair of lifting shoes to lift. It makes it easier - there's a difference. And whereas you can lift with a different bar if you go to another gym, if you don't have your shoes on you when you're somewhere else, it'll make a noticeable difference in how you can train, ie it's a crutch.
If you're going that route in the argument, NO you NEED a bar to deadlift, you can use rocks, logs, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If I had to get one pair of shoes to lift in... Shane Steinert-Threlkeld Equipment 10 08-08-2011 06:41 AM
looking to buy first pair of weightlifting shoes. Jorge Montesinos Equipment 7 12-22-2009 09:31 AM
need a new pair of shoes(not VFF, already have those) Aaron Gainer Equipment 6 11-13-2009 04:21 PM
If you only had one pair of shoes... Kim Chase Equipment 11 09-01-2009 02:35 PM
Selling a pair of vibrams Michael Francis Romano Equipment 2 04-08-2009 01:06 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.