CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #41
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Overcoming Gravity book release

Since some people were asking about a digital edition...

Overcoming Gravity the digital edition is finally here!

http://shop.eatmoveimprove.com/ wfs

Notes and plans:

1. It is a fully searchable, digital PDF that can be loaded on an eReader (Nook, Kindle, Kobo, etc.), iPad, Tablet or viewed on the computer. It has no digital copyright protection and is a non-encrypted, fully commentable, bookmarkable, copy/pasteable PDF for $49.95. The only thing disabled is page extraction. An excel version of the Overcoming Gravity charts is also provided. The main file is approximately 100 MB, and the excel 28 KB. Any future changes or corrections are provided at no cost.

2. For those who have previously purchased the book, PM me a picture of your book and I'll shoot you the coupon code for 25% off.

3. Coupon code "holidaycheer" without the quotations is a available until January 31st for $5 off. Coupons are not stackable from what I'm aware.

4. Overcoming Gravity 2nd edition is planned for late 2013/early 2014 tentatively. OG digital edition was my priority project right now, so I'm just about to start constructing and editing materials for OG2. Feel free to give me any suggestions or comments.

--------------------------------

These are the proposed changes for OG, subject to more changes if there are more good ideas that I can easily implement:

1. all new and more detailed illustrations (3d model) for the nuances of each movement
2. professional editing, layout, copyedits, etc.
3. Content wise I'm going to revise recommendations and make more newbie friendly including:
4. separate beginner/intermediate/advanced type sections + programming options so newbies don't get thrown everything at once
5. more detail on programming according to other activities/sports and for those who are busy and have very little workout time
6. revisions/additions to the charts, and exercise technique including scapular positioning
7. more talk on specific mobility/flexibility details and programming that
8. cleaning up misunderstandings such as skill work, making prilepin tables easier to use, etc
9. SOME legs options (although not true progressions) but it should give many people ideas of how they can train with the legs at home if they don't have access to a barbell.
10. my personal general strength recommendations for progressions to use
11. cheaper price (through cleaning up page count and eliminating specific injury info as it's clear that most people don't use it -- mobility/flexibility will still be there)

If you've read Starting Strength (1st and 2nd edition) it will hopefully be like that where the 2nd edition can stand along for at least half a decade before any revisions are made.

Let me know if you have any critiques, comments, questions, or concerns.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #42
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Congrats, Steven.

I still need to finish reading through my book. It's freaking huge.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
Congrats, Steven.

I still need to finish reading through my book. It's freaking huge.
Thanks!

Let me know what you think and/or if you have any questions.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #44
Jonas Hamann

Profile:

Hey Steve.

Ive just read your book, but I have some questions. Dont know if its in the book, but I couldnt find it and looked twice, so sorry if thats the case.

Got a couple of question

The first one is, when do i advance to the next move? As far as i understand the training chart, lets say isometric planche training, i do sets in the range of 9-12 seconds at the level i can do, and then i do sets until i reach a total of 45-60 seconds of hold. But how do i know when im ready to move on? And if you cant do the 4 sets of 9 seconds, you just mentioned brief in your book, but would you do then try 6-8 seconds for more sets or simple stay at the given exercise?

Other question is. I haven't done calisthenics for that long a time, so im trying out different programs. My goals are currently to get a stable full lever, the full planche, more and of better form muscle-ups and a proper back lever pullout (Maybe GH). So currently my program consists of 2 days.
Day 1: Front lever, muscle up work so a lot of different exercises to support these. I usually do 5x3
Day 2: Back lever, planche work. Again lot of different exercise and same volume.

Do you think i would benefit from changing this 2 day split into full body and then do less exercises for each move? But hit the exercise 1 day more pr week? And if you do multiple exercises for for example front lever, wont the volume get to high when using your charts? Or how do you customize that?

Hope you have time to answer my question.
And thanks for a great book, still missing a couple of pages though, its a big thing And hope my English is understandable.

Thanks
Jonas
Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #45
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Hamann View Post
Hey Steve.

Ive just read your book, but I have some questions. Dont know if its in the book, but I couldnt find it and looked twice, so sorry if thats the case.

Got a couple of question

The first one is, when do i advance to the next move? As far as i understand the training chart, lets say isometric planche training, i do sets in the range of 9-12 seconds at the level i can do, and then i do sets until i reach a total of 45-60 seconds of hold. But how do i know when im ready to move on? And if you cant do the 4 sets of 9 seconds, you just mentioned brief in your book, but would you do then try 6-8 seconds for more sets or simple stay at the given exercise?

Other question is. I haven't done calisthenics for that long a time, so im trying out different programs. My goals are currently to get a stable full lever, the full planche, more and of better form muscle-ups and a proper back lever pullout (Maybe GH). So currently my program consists of 2 days.
Day 1: Front lever, muscle up work so a lot of different exercises to support these. I usually do 5x3
Day 2: Back lever, planche work. Again lot of different exercise and same volume.

Do you think i would benefit from changing this 2 day split into full body and then do less exercises for each move? But hit the exercise 1 day more pr week? And if you do multiple exercises for for example front lever, wont the volume get to high when using your charts? Or how do you customize that?

Hope you have time to answer my question.
And thanks for a great book, still missing a couple of pages though, its a big thing And hope my English is understandable.

Thanks
Jonas
Steven hasn't been on here for awhile, so you might be waiting for an answer for a pretty long time.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #46
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Jonas, try to get a hold of Steve on EatMoveImprove or the Overcoming Gravity Reddit thread.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #47
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:

1. Check out chapter 5... it tells you when you can approximately progress to new holds.

I would test the next level hold if you are strong enough at the beginning of every week to see if you're ready.

You may need to do some assist if you can only hold a couple seconds and you want to go to the next level. For example, you can use a band to assist yourself with the tuck progression.

2. Full body is better if you're in the beginner and intermediate range. Your level is determined by your ability... not how long you've been exercising. You can be a beginner and be exercising 10 years. Look at your current abilities and gauge them with the key on the side of the chart where it says beginner/intermediate/advanced/etc.