CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #81
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Sittinger View Post
As Crossfit continue to grow, I wouldn't be suprised to see the larger globogyms featuring a "crossfit" type room or corner. When comparing Crossfit equipment to machines and treadmills, the cost is pennies on the dollar. Some already do this.
Yup. The Globo gym that I go to has an "All Purpose Room" where I do my CrossFit. It isn't ideal, but it has all of the bear essentials, except a pullup bar, which they are working on getting.

While I understand it costs money to run a CrossFit Box due to the fees that they have to pay to CrossFit, not everyone can afford or they just don't want to pay that kind of money. I'd love to one day open up my own place, but I don't like the idea of paying $3k to HQ. I can understnd a one time fee, but per year is rediculous. Anything over $100 a month is too much IMHO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #82
Tommy Sittinger
Member Tommy Sittinger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winchester  VA
Posts: 89
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I don't see how gyms would make it if they were paying $5-7/sq ft.
$5-$7/SF is a bargain in many areas. My local globogym leases for $10/SF, and this isn't exactly a high income area. Warehouses go for around $3-$5/SF low end here, usually more.

Boxes out east in the affluent Fairfax County are paying around $10/SF or more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #83
Tommy Sittinger
Member Tommy Sittinger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winchester  VA
Posts: 89
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Cost of equipment is low, but so is revenue per square foot used. So you might see Crossfit-friendly equipment, but it will mostly be locked up except for (fee-charging) classes. Meanwhile other (fee-charging) activities will share the space.

Katherine
I can imagine that. I could see them running classes, and otherwise making it available for only the personal trainers for private sessions.

I've seen globogyms advertise having a full line of kettlebells, but then you find out that you have to take their classes (for an added fee, of course) in order to gain access to the bells. Ripoff.

Although, maybe that won't be the case. Gyms profit by having members pay but not show up, and the members are more likely to use the cardio equipment and machines, which are inherently safe. The same goes for the personal trainers. They use the machines because they're easy to teach, and the client is not likely to get injured. If a $500 ACE Cert. hero tries to train people according to Crossfit, the clients are inevitably going to get injured (or trained ineffectively due to lower loads for safety), and the gym isn't going to want to assume that liability.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #84
Jennifer Murray
Member Jennifer Murray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Milford  MI
Posts: 38
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
I am sorry, and I dont want to take on the masses, but why the hell is crossfit so damn expensive? i cant find anything for less then $150 a month. And I dont understand the arguement that it is personal training, it is a class setting, which most gyms have, for the normal prices. I just dont get it
A Crossfit membership may cost more than a globo-gym membership; however you receive coaching from experienced and certified trainers who are demanding correct form from their members. A Crossfit membership isn't as expensive as a personal trainer; however you get just as much individualized attention. It's amazing that (at times)a person can spend $100 a night at the bar; however have trouble dropping $150/month on making themselves healthy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #85
Jonathan Renner
Member Jonathan Renner is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chapel Hill  NC
Posts: 175
Re: Too much $$$

Ditch the membership. Educate yourself and research how to improve fitness/strength/athleticism without the help of a trainer (who probably has a mediocre knowledge of XFit anyways). Get the necessary equipment (which wasn't much for me) . Save money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #86
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: Too much $$$

For somebody that was never able to stick with any kind of program, that now gets results and is happy with their fitness level and now has a new support network of likeminded people - to them, it's probably not 'too much $$$'. For somebody able (and with the desire) to work out on their own, safely and with the same results and equal happiness, its probably too much $$$.
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #87
Eric Montgomery
Member Eric Montgomery is offline
 
Eric Montgomery's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 7,413
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Murray View Post
A Crossfit membership may cost more than a globo-gym membership; however you receive coaching from experienced and certified trainers who are demanding correct form from their members. A Crossfit membership isn't as expensive as a personal trainer; however you get just as much individualized attention. It's amazing that (at times)a person can spend $100 a night at the bar; however have trouble dropping $150/month on making themselves healthy.
That varies significantly from gym to gym. Some are good, some don't have any knowledge or experience outside of their two-day L1 cert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Renner View Post
Ditch the membership. Educate yourself and research how to improve fitness/strength/athleticism without the help of a trainer (who probably has a mediocre knowledge of XFit anyways). Get the necessary equipment (which wasn't much for me) . Save money.
Again, varies from gym to gym. Some coaches and facilities are certainly worth the money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #88
Lee Bache
Member Lee Bache is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fredericksburg  VA
Posts: 4
Re: Too much $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
I am sorry, and I dont want to take on the masses, but why the hell is crossfit so damn expensive? i cant find anything for less then $150 a month. And I dont understand the arguement that it is personal training, it is a class setting, which most gyms have, for the normal prices. I just dont get it
I understand where you are coming from. I have a Golds gym membership for both me and my wife (who has never went) for about 72$ per month. It really isn't that big, but there are at least some free weights there.

I have thought about cancelling it and either doing CF out of my own garage, or join the local CF gym (box) down the road from me. Right now my wife pays $150 for four Pilates sessions so I guess compared to that it is a lot cheaper, but Pilates makes her happy so we all know if the woman is happy we are happy! And it seems to be working. She just started and I can already see a difference... Anyway...I'm getting off topic here.

I guess for about $70 more a month it would benefit me to do the CF gym thing. Plus I definitely need help when it comes to the basic fundamentals and form, which a CF location would help me with. I must admit that I do miss being deployed though. Everywhere I went, there seemed to be a CF gym on every base.

I do want to purchase my own rings and a couple of kettlebells to work out a bit at home. Right now I don't have anything except for a rogue fitness jump rope. I think that jump rope, burpees, sit ups and push ups will get the heart beating to start the cardio...it's better than nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #89
Matt Vorwald
Member Matt Vorwald is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Fort Myers  FL
Posts: 38
Re: Too much $$$

At $1200/year, the cost-utility relationship of a CF membership soon comes into question. It is my feeling that joining a CF gym for 2-3 months can be a worthwhile and beneficial step towards becoming a proficient and dedicated fitness enthusiast. However, over the long term, it definitely makes sense to purchase one's own equipment (if space allows) and transition partially or completely to perfoming the workouts on your own. I disagree that CF memberships come with "as much or more" individual trainer attention -- most boxes simply don't operate that way. The equipment and training certainly isn't as expensive for the operator as a globo-gym, so what you are essentially paying for is the social aspect and accountability. If one can find friends/partners to substitute, the $100 monthly charge becomes an easy budget cut decision.

Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #90
Rob Brown
Member Rob Brown is offline
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Luis Obispo  CA
Posts: 245
Re: Too much $$$

..I can't vouch to have super accurate details, but I figure our tiny spot maybe has 15-20 regulars and give or take 10 who don't come regularly. .. even at 80-100 each I don't know how they break much more than even.

Globo's have the luxury of being able to feed folks through all day long.. while our box only fits 5-15 three times a day. Even though equipment is cheaper, facility expenses are higher per member.

..even Yoga is 15$ a drop in.. globo is 65-75'ish a mo. and MMA is similar. Someone who really wants a class atmosphere is going to pay solid in California.

If your flat broke, get your own kettle bell, medicine ball, and horse mat or two and watch craigslist for oly stuff. ...but, go into a box for 'in person' coaching every now and then. A second set of eyes are key in the long run.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.