CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
Reis Baron

Profile:
Obese Male 6 Weeks Into Crossfit - LOVING it!!

Greetings Everyone:

I started Crossfit Elements in late October at the Black Box (Crossfit NYC) and I am absolutely hooked. On average I've done 3-4 WODs a week, and for the last 5 weeks I've been observing Paleo as well. I'm 38 years old and around 330 lbs.

I haven't set foot on a scale in the past six months, and I consciously didn't do it before starting Crossfit. I've dropped tons of weight with ridiculous diets in the past and it always came back. So now it's no longer about the weight. I just want to make a gradual, conscious life change that will keep me around many more years than I was destined for on my previous path. I owe it to myself and my family.

I've started a blog about my experience so far: wodalmighty.blogspot.com. (occasional profanity...beware) I'm still filling in gaps for the WODs I've done along the way, but there's a dozen posts up so check it out and give me your feedback if you have the time.

Even using the thickest band for assistance, I am unable to do a single pullup. So my first tangible Crossfit goal is to be able to do an unassisted pullup in six months. I was able to complete 30 jumping pullups last week on "Filthy Friday" (I scaled to "Dirty 30"), but for now when doing WODs or warmups that call for pullups I do ring rows instead.

I'm blown away by the amount of encouragement I'm getting from both the trainers and fellow CF'ers. People have come up to me with suggestions, helped me through the final reps of WODs...it's been an amazing experience. Never would I get this in my former gym...

So basically thanks for being here. I look forward to posting progress both here and on my blog.

Peace,

Reis
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Patrick Thompsen

Profile:
Re: Obese Male 6 Weeks Into Crossfit - LOVING it!!

Good to hear that you're committed to making a lifestyle change. I'm also happy to hear that your goals are more performance based (i.e. unassisted pullup) than material based (lose 20 lbs or have flat abs). I think by setting and achieving performanced based goals, the body composition will change usually as a result of your performance goals. So keep setting those goals and keep pushing hard every day.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Reis Baron

Profile:

Very kind of you Patrick. That's my mindset now. I know the material changes will come as a result of achieving my performance goals. That's why I'm not even weighing myself...I'll see those changes over time.

Cheers...

Reis
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Alix Floyd

Profile:

Awesome! I gave up the scale a long time ago and only occasionally (when medically necessary or before I went scuba diving) weigh myself.

I was in the same boat as you, but I weighed closer to 110 kg and now am down below 90 kg. Haven't stepped on the scale in a bit. It did feel good after 6 months to know I'd dropped around 20 kg, though. I do know that my clothes are looser and I'm a heckuva lot stronger than before. I, too, am hoping for an unassisted pull-up.

Keep up the good work. Frankly, I've found that nothing is as addictive as CF. Not even food. Be prepared to buy a whole new wardrobe, though.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Maggi Young

Profile:

Awesome, Reis!

I'm also setting goals for myself that aren't necessarily centered around losing weight. I started CF/Paleo 15 days ago and looked at it more as a way to appreciate fitness and nutirition, thereby creating a natural lifestyle change. Weight loss would just be a side effect of that, albeit a great one. But if I learn to appreciate fitness and what it can do for my mental and physical health, happiness and awareness, that's all I need to continue forward with the best life possible.

I'm finding the more regimented and strict I am about working out and having proper nutrition, the more I respect myself and the easier it is to deal with life as a whole.

Props to you for taking charge of your life!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Congrats Reis! When you set your goals around making life changes, you should stay motivated to continue working at it. I was like that myself, whenever I went on a program to lose weight, I always lost interest after a few weeks. CF for me has been about getting better at life in general (giving up certain foods, drinks, habbits etc...).

Good luck! You will always find lots of good advice and encouragement here!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Reis Baron

Profile:

Many thanks to all of you for the support and encouragement. I've gained a lot of confidence from reading about everyone's experience, and the people at my CF gym are so helpful. I went in this morning and kicked some serious a$$, so that always helps boost me in the right direction.

Thanks and praises...

Peace...
Old 12-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Gillian Steele

Profile:

Welcome to the boards and good luck on your journey and congrats on making the lifestyle change
Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Josh Martin

Profile:

Really good stuff Reis. My wife and I started Crossfit and Paleo August 1st and haven't looked back. Like you, I had lost tons of weight and gained it right back several times in my life. On Feb 1st this year I got on the scale at 265 lbs, my wife was at 205 and we decided we had to make a change. Started out just eating a little better, and hitting some of the amazing trails up here in Indiana to get active. I had lost some weight when I found Crossfit, but losing weight and being healthy/fit are 2 entirely different things. I started on the gray (highest assistance band) and STRUGGLED through those. I got my first unassisted pull ups ~2 months ago. Last night was Tabata Something Else and I got 62 total unassisted pull ups and currently at 168 lbs. My wife tried on a bathing suit that she bought when she first started as a "goal" to be able to fit in to when spring/summer rolled around. It way, way too big on her, lol.

My Dad also started Crossfit and Zone/Paleo. He's 57 years old and on day 1 was 300lbs on the dot. Diabetic, heart problems. 2 days ago was 2 months for him. He was going through warm ups and got off the rower after 500m and looked at me and was like "Holy crap, I'm not even sweating or out of breath!" Last week his doctor took him off his blood sugar pills. His first night of on ramp just 60 days ago he hardly got through a 250m row.

His goals? In the spring he wants to be able to get back to camping, fishing, and backpacking like we did 10 years ago when I was still a kid living at home.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Reis Baron

Profile:

Josh:

I'm blown away at your stories...so inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing. Kudos to your Dad for making it happen. And what an amazing leap for you to drop that much weight as a sidenote while your focus is on CF.

That's what I love about this experience. I know simply by sticking with it those things will just happen. It has me setting my true goals so much higher than weight. I can't even imagine doing one pullup right now, nevermind over 60 of them. But I look forward to the day when I post about doing that...what a thrill that will be.

Thanks again, and happy holidays...