CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Troy Vaillancourt

Profile:
Breakfast on the Zone

How important is breakfast while zoning? I know the book says to eat within an hour of waking, but I not hungry in the am.... should I suck it up or can I eat the blocks later in the day? thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Breakfast on the Zone

The book does say to eat within one hour.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
Jessica S Roberts

Profile:

I am by no means a Zone expert but from my personal experience, eating a great Zone breakfast sets the pace for me for the day. Breakfast is my most important meal. If you are not hungry first thing in the morning, try having a Zone snack for breakfast and a bigger lunch. That might work for you.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sears' books also say some stuff that plenty of others disagree with--i.e. don't eat more than 5 blocks in a single meal, don't go longer than 5 hours between a meal, try to eat 5 times a day, etc. Intermittent fasting works for plenty of people today and, from an evolutionary perspective, worked for humans for a few million years...those facts kinda debunk some of Sears' claims. The Zone is a good set of guidelines but don't feel like you have to be tied to it 100% for it to be effective.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Troy Vaillancourt

Profile:

That is good advise and I have read about the benefits of IF'ing. Jessica I do like the idea of a smaller breakfast.

Do you think not eating breakfast would be a good thing to do a few times a week then?

Does anyone have some quick 2 block meal ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

Troy - I've been Zoning for 7 months and i also found it hard to get 4 blocks in for breakfast, i've dropped it to 3 and often go with protein shakes or 2 block meals with a glass of Milk. It makes it easier for me....maybe it will help you. GL
Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Scott J Taylor

Profile:

This post is a little old but I thought I'd throw in my 2cents for posterity's sake.

I'm by no means a Zone expert but I've been doing it for a while now and have seen fantastic results and I have some ideas that I think might help.

Zone does indeed specify eating within 1 hour of waking but that doesn't mean you have to have full blown meal. I know lots of people that just can't seem to choke down food before 1000 no matter what. On Zone, you are allowed to spread your blocks out however you like throughout the day as long as you don't go longer than 5 hours between meals or 2 hours between snacks. So with that in mind you could have a 'breakfast snack' consisting of one or two blocks within an hour of waking and another a few hours later and never have to have gobble down a 3 or 4 blocker first thing in the morning. You just, literally need to 'break your fast' after sleeping to get your metabolism going. An example of a one block b/fast snack could be a protein shake with frozen fruit and almond milk...VERY tasty! I like to think of my Zone diet as more of a guide line than something that must be rigidly followed...once you get the hang of it it almost becomes second nature.

For the record I love breakfast and almost every morning I have a 4 blocker of cottage cheese, fruit (usually grapes if they're in season but any 'juicy' fruit (not the gum) will do to cut the not-exactly-yummy-taste of the cottage cheese) and almond slivers. I think I'm down to <10% body fat now so I've been adding a scoop of protein powder (usually a scoop) and more almond slivers (no idea how much...just 'more'). Good stuff.

HTH!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Troy,

I say suck it up and eat breakfast within 1 hour of the time you wake up.

Like Jamie said, that's in the book.

Seriously though, I agree with the advice that you could eat a smaller amount of food, like 1 or 2 blocks to start your day if you just can't bring yourself to eat a full meal.

However I don't think the results will be ideal since the purpose of eating a full meal upon waking is to fuel up for the day ahead.

To make up your blocks later in the day you'll want to eat a max of 5 blocks per meal and probably 2 per snack. So just add 1 block to 3 different meals or snacks.

Have you read the Zone books ? You can get a used copy from Amazon for $4, that's how I got started.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The Zone also says you should eat 5 times a day with no more than 5 hours between meals, and that you should never exceed 5 blocks per meal. If that was true then intermittent fasting wouldn't be successful for the people who do it.

Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not. It's pretty simple. You're not harming yourself by not eating if you don't feel like it, unless you're trying hard to gain weight. Measure your food into blocks if you want to, but remember that Dr. Sears' rules didn't come down to us from Mt. Sinai or anything.