CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #41
Biljana Wright

Profile:
Re: 2010 Games winner guessing

Bec Eastwell - Australia
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #42
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I'm kinda pullin for Rob and Annie.

I'm very impressed with the skill Rob has shown lately. He's always been beast at lifting but I was surprised to see he's also good at stuff like walking on his hands and ring handstand pushups. Plus he's seemingly done a great job at leaning out and improving his metcon. Seems like a cool guy too.

I haven't seen much of Annie except for one video on the main site which made her look like superwoman. I kept thinking she would run outta steam but she didn't.

But yeah, depending on event choice this prediction could be ridiculously off. There are so many good competitors that I could end up rooting for everyone. I don't think there is a single one who seems like a jerk.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 07-09-2010 at 09:35 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #43
Christopher Stange

Profile:

I wish Vegas was taking bets 'cause I'd cash in huge on Neal Maddox....1st place!!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #44
David McGlame

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Stange View Post
I wish Vegas was taking bets 'cause I'd cash in huge on Neal Maddox....1st place!!!!
Trust me Vegas takes bets on absolutly everything I'm sure it won't be hard to find some one taken bets for the CF games. Considering the nature of the games the odds would probably be hard to figure out.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #45
Justin McCallon

Profile:

When I see people commenting on people from my Regional, I think most of the comments are a bit off (i.e. athletes out of order or whatever). As such, I think it's pretty hard for me to comment on who will do well out of the other regions.

I'll say this about the guys from my region--
Rich Froening (sp?) - He should be on these top 10 lists. That guy dominated our event. Cleaned 325 after doing 1 per minute starting at 315, so probably can hit 335... Good at snatch, too, he's a great runner, has great short distance cardio, and all around very good. He's legit. He's kinda short so the movements don't take too long for him (i.e. someone 6'4 like me works twice as hard on burpees). He's the standout from our region. That sheet lists his deadlift as 475. If that's true, that's a weakness that could come out.

Mike Giardina - I'm rooting for Mike to do well. I workout at his gym when I can. He's got a good deadlift (over 500), strong clean (about 315), strong snatch (236.5) good pull-ups, and he's really good at the <4min cardio workouts. Long cardio workouts are tougher for him, and running especially is tough. Not unbelievable at squats and I'm not sure how good he is at presses.

Spencer Hendel - Cool dude. Strong as hell all the way through. Cleaned 335, I think he deadlifts over 550, strong squats, etc. I think his shoulder is a little messed up so I'm not sure what he can press, but it's still over 300. Explosive. Cardio isn't as good as some of the other guys, but it's not bad.

Brandon Phillips - I don't know a ton about him. He's a strong dude (I think he hit 325 on clean and has a big deadlift). He seems pretty good all the way through, but maybe aside from deadlift won't really stand out.

Anyway, I don't know **** about the dudes in the other regions, but it looks like Rob Orlando is crushing people on strength and anything not involving running long distances. His cardio seems pretty legit. I think if there's no run he's taking it down.

Khalipa has looked legit 2 years in a row and he's in a similar camp with Rob.

Mikko looks like he's pretty solid all the way through, but I think he might fall off a little on a couple strength events. He's very strong, but I bet there's still 15 or so people stronger than him at most the lifts. He'll need a pure running event to make that up, I think. I didn't watch the full journal video, but it looked like he doesn't do a Squat Clean. Looks like he maxes with a Power Clean. I wonder how strong his squats are.

Unless Spealler got a LOT stronger, I don't think he's likely to do well. He'll do great if the events involve a mix of a moderately heavy lift paired with other stuff, and if there's no strength event, but otherwise, he might place close to last in a strength event. I think he needs a 475 deadlift to be able to win. But, again, if we get a 335x5 Deadlift + 20 Pullup type workout, he's going to do very well.

Recovery ability is important, but honestly I think all the top guys can recover very well to where they'll be giving pretty close to as much as they can each event. Out of our region, I can assure everyone that Rich Froening doesn't have an issue with recovery.

If I were going to guess:
Rob Orlando
Mikko Salo
Rich Froening (sp?)
Jason Khalipa

If there's someone close to as strong as Orlando that can also run, I'd bet on him to take first.

No idea on the other side. Someone mentioned DeMarco earlier. She'll be one of the strongest there, but her cardio isn't great, and she's so big that a lot of the movements take her awhile. Not an unbelievable runner. I don't think she'll medal, but she is tough and will be pushing hard as hell.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #46
David McGlame

Profile:

Good point about Orlando if this year's games is heavy he has a really good chance. And not just at the barbell his strongman experience will help him with any weird strength events. And I think a strongman type event would be a great way to take some bar bell aces out of their comfort zone.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #47
Jim Denofa

Profile:

There is no chance that Mikko will not take 1st. Just based on his 5k, FGB score and deadlift. Who the hell gets a 527 Fight gone bad, runs a sub 18 5k and has a Mid 500lb deadlift? Spealer is crazy fast and Rob is Crazy strong But Mikko is both.

If Mikko Salo does not win the games this year I will Take a video of myself doing 200 burpees in a dress in the Walmart parking lot.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #48
Emerson Hoff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Denofa View Post
There is no chance that Mikko will not take 1st. Just based on his 5k, FGB score and deadlift. Who the hell gets a 527 Fight gone bad, runs a sub 18 5k and has a Mid 500lb deadlift? Spealer is crazy fast and Rob is Crazy strong But Mikko is both.

If Mikko Salo does not win the games this year I will Take a video of myself doing 200 burpees in a dress in the Walmart parking lot.
BINDING!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #49
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Noone even mentions Josh Everett for the top 10. That guy is beastly too.

After seeing Rob Orlando doing muscle-ups easier than I do air squats, and without a false-grip to boot, I gotta say it will be hard to beat that dude. He's both strong and fit. Jason K. too of course. These two guys seem to be considerably bigger than Mikko and that of course has it's pros and cons, but it sure will be interesting to watch. I, like others, feel that Speal is too small to win, unless there is little emphasis on strength.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #50
Dan Andrews

Profile:

I dont believe Josh Everett even qualified... I could be wrong though.

That Ben Smith kid looked great on paper, but after watching some of his WOD's on youtube was not quite as impressed.

Obviously it really depends on how they program the games, if they have some really light, body weight emphasized workouts, well probably see Mikko win and Spealler do well. But if they go heavy again Jason or Rob or Mikko may win. I think alot of people forget that inspite of finishing basically last in the run, Khalipa still finished... 5th ? or 8th maybe overall, i forget, its been a while, but basically had he not bombed the run and finished middle of the pack he would have won the games.

Anyway, I'm sure we will all be wrong, but tomorrow is going to be amazing, this is for certain.