CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Dom Fruci

Profile:
Handstand push-ups

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to work on doing a handstand push-up without using the wall. I am comfortable upside down against the wall and can usually knock out 20+ of them with my head hitting the ground. Any suggestions would be great!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Dom Fruci

Profile:
Re: Handstand push-ups

should have posted in the exercise part...sorry!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
James Forshaw

Profile:

http://www.beastskills.com/Freestanding%20HSPU.htm WFS

Best the tutorial comes from someone who can actually do them properly. My record, on the other hand, is three and even that has taken several years of (admittedly not very dedicated) practice to achieve.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Back against the wall and free standing are pretty different positions. You'll need to practice them free standing regularly to get them.

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/19 WFS

How often do you practice free standing handstands. Get away from the wall and practice regularly.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

Another link for ya:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...php?f=16&t=293 (wfs)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
Scott A Martin

Profile:

I would work on increasing your ROM and free standing handstands before working on free standing HSPUs.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Sean Lind

Profile:

Well, this is a bit of a tough one to help you out with. I say that because a lot of people who do handstand pushups against the wall, aren't really doing a proper handstand pushup. most people have a very wide hand placement and aren't really working towards the strength of a handstand or a pushup.

That being said, can you video tape yourself and show me so I can see the problem and help you diagnose it.

when you are doing your Handstand pushups against the wall, are you facing chest or back to wall? Are your hands shoulder width? or are they really wide. When you lower down your elbows should be in, and not out.

The check list for handstand pushups,

- hands shoulder width apart, maybe a tiny bit wider.
- lowering down, make sure elbows stay in.
- lower your head in front of your hands @ (head)
( meaning make a triangle ) * * (hands)

make sure your body is straight and you hold the shape the entire time by slightly flexing all the muscle in your core and legs.
Open hips,
not arching in the back,
chest in
legs can be together, or star shape.

When you are practicing against the wall start trying to pushup with out touching the wall. if you lose balance THEN use the wall to help you stabilize, and repeat the skill again without touching the wall.

It's best if you do this with your chest facing the wall because, with your back towards the wall it promotes people to ARCH their back and search for the wall with their feet. If you learn that, your muscle memory will always have you pulling your feet past your shoulders and every time you kick into a handstand you will fall forward.

Last edited by Sean Lind; 04-07-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Great thread.. lots of good resources in here. I wish I could knock these out as well.. proficient with the wall; can barely stay up without.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Albert Chang

Profile:

Not really sure about a proper progression, since I got there by accident, but I can tell you what I've done. I will say I can only do 1 or 2.

First, I can do a free standing handstand. It's surprisingly easy if you go up from the side instead of forward because if you over kick, you have your hips to catch you, and if you had the core strength you could straighten yourself up. I learned this from bboying (breakdancing) by accident when I failed to perform a different move, and it all just sorta came together. From there, I knew what it felt like. So whenever I do a headstand push-up against the wall, I know I have good form.

Second is to keep moving closer and closer to the wall. I think I place my hands only two or three inches away when I kick up (I go back to wall). This part also happened by accident, but I find myself sort of nudge against the wall, I guess to reduce drag. Sometimes when I nudge off (and it's a very soft nudge), I won't come back after one or two reps. It just sorta clicked for me, everything felt right from what I know of a handstand. For me, it feels significantly different than going against a wall. I don't just mean it's harder since there is a wall to help with some of the weight, but the balance of it is significantly different too.

Yesterday I decided I'd put some time down to practice free standing headstand push-ups. I've ditched the kick up from the side method, and have two ways to get up. The first way, and my preferred, is to get into tripod, raise my legs into a headstand, push up into a handstand, and then do my headstand push-ups. The second method is to kick up into a handstand, and then do my headstand push-ups. The reason I don't like the second method is I find myself over kicking.

So that's how I learned/am learning. It was all circumstantial. Not sure if it helps.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Can you do a headstand on the ground. I would try pushing out of a headstand to handstand then. Hopefully, you know how to roll. If you don't how to roll out of a handstand or from a headstand, then this is moot.

As well it's a good idea to know how to do a reasonable free standing HS.

One of the benefits of pushing out of the headstand to handstand is your entire body has to be fairly tight in the first place to hold the headstand. So as you are pushing you are already tight unless you arch in your back.

This is one of the bigger issues of kipping your HeSPU is because some people will arch their spines and not be able to be in a stable HS at the top of the kipped HeSPU/HSPU because they are all over the place in the air.

Doing free HeSPU on (headstand to handstand) not only works balance but strength. You can eventually just put your hands on small blocks or books and start in the headstand or of course a set of parallettes.