CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Lindsay Grant

Profile:
Question for women regarding fat intake

Hello Ladies

I have a question for ya...I am trying to lose the last 5-10lbs...I have been pretty successful although it has been a slow process but I was curious as to what your fat intake is. While I know fat is not bad, I was also told that too much fat for women can be a bad thing when it comes to losing weight. I still do eat fats in my diet but it is generally between 40-65g of fat. My average percentage totals from fitday are: 48% fat, 43%protein, 9% carbs....there are definitely high and low days in all areas...this is just the average.

Typically, I do crossfit 4-5 times a week but do have weeks where it is more like 3. Like this week for example.

Like I said, I have seen some results I just feel like my weightloss is stalled. I know some people say this isn't something you should focus on but it is for me. I am also focusing on my results in the gym as well and feel as though I am stalling there also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Question for women regarding fat intake

How much do you weight, approximate BFC, total calories, how much sleep each night, how rested do you feel? If your progress is stalling as far as performance goes, then you are either under training or not recovering enough. I would think the latter is more likely.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Lindsay Grant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
How much do you weight, approximate BFC, total calories, how much sleep each night, how rested do you feel? If your progress is stalling as far as performance goes, then you are either under training or not recovering enough. I would think the latter is more likely.
I bounce between 138-141 right now as far as weight goes. I am 5'6, I'm not sure what my BFC is at the moment...haven't gone in for the test because it is pretty spendy. I usually get AT LEAST 7 hours but sometimes 9. Last week I didn't sleep well due to stressors in my life but I think I am back to normal now. I get anywhere from 1000-1300 calories a day...my question on calories is, if I am not hungry should I eat for the sake of eating to get my calorie intake up?
It could be the overtraining; I did take the past 2 days off and will only be able to go a few days this week due to traveling.

Thanks for the help Jamie!
Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Grant View Post
Hello Ladies

I have a question for ya...I am trying to lose the last 5-10lbs...I have been pretty successful although it has been a slow process but I was curious as to what your fat intake is. While I know fat is not bad, I was also told that too much fat for women can be a bad thing when it comes to losing weight. I still do eat fats in my diet but it is generally between 40-65g of fat. My average percentage totals from fitday are: 48% fat, 43%protein, 9% carbs....there are definitely high and low days in all areas...this is just the average.

Typically, I do crossfit 4-5 times a week but do have weeks where it is more like 3. Like this week for example.

Like I said, I have seen some results I just feel like my weightloss is stalled. I know some people say this isn't something you should focus on but it is for me. I am also focusing on my results in the gym as well and feel as though I am stalling there also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
It's always those last few pounds that are the hardest! The old, grey fat, I believe it is called. I don't think you eat enough honestly. 1000 to 1300 is super low for a 4 times a week CFitter. When you do not eat enough to support your activity level, your body will hold on to whatever it can fat wise as a safe mode thing. Sounds crazy, but I'd bump your caloric intake up to about 1500 to 1700 (perhaps more) by eating lots of protein and good fats...don't forget lots of veggies, too. Also, drink lots of water, take it easy on the fruits, and cut out the dairy from your diet if you drink/eat any. Coconut milk is a good sub for milk and lacks the casein/lactose bit.
My protein intake is 1.5 grams per body weight (I am 5'6 as well and fluctuate between 125-130 lbs). Fat intake hovers around 65 grams a day. Carbs between 50 to 100 grams each day in fruits and veggies only. I get between 1500 and 2000 calories a day and sometimes more. Do you do any strength training or just strictly wods?

Be careful of not over training, as that can lead to stalled fat loss and a decrease in appetite, among other things.

Depending on your answers to my question, you could cut the circuits in half and begin SS if you haven't already. Combining that with wods sometimes helps get that last bit. If you are repeating the same circuits over and over, that can also be an issue. It just depends on what your routine is, but I would lift heavy (by doing SS/linear progression type stuff) twice a week and do circuits twice a week and see where that takes you.

Last edited by Christie Warner; 03-09-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Lindsay Grant

Profile:

I bounce between 138-141 right now as far as weight goes. I am 5'6, I'm not sure what my BFC is at the moment...haven't gone in for the test because it is pretty spendy. I usually get AT LEAST 7 hours but sometimes 9. Last week I didn't sleep well due to stressors in my life but I think I am back to normal now. I get anywhere from 1000-1300 calories a day...my question on calories is, if I am not hungry should I eat for the sake of eating to get my calorie intake up?
It could be the overtraining; I did take the past 2 days off and will only be able to go a few days this week due to traveling.

I want to get down to about 125-130 which it sounds like you are at Christie...how many calories are you eating a day? I just feel like if I don't feel hungry then I shouldn't eat, but at the same time, I know it can really help so I am so confused as to what to do.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you aren't recovering enough to drive progress, I think you need to eat more. I would increase the protein first. get it up to what Christie suggested. I would also play with the carbs a bit. There are people that do well are really low carb, I'm not one of them.

Also, I wouldn't worry about how much you weight. I would tape (neck, upper arm, chest, waist, hip, mid thigh and calf) and use that instead.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
I want to get down to about 125-130 which it sounds like you are at Christie...how many calories are you eating a day? I just feel like if I don't feel hungry then I shouldn't eat, but at the same time, I know it can really help so I am so confused as to what to do.
I am thinking that you are not eating enough and you could be overtraining, as you suspect. I eat 1500 to 2000 a day. I train 3-4 times a week and I also have a major cheat day where I eat way more than normal and include potatoes and whatever else I deprive myself of throughout the week. I find cheat days help since they boost my caloric intake and give my metabolic rate a jolt from what it is accustomed to. You definitely should give yourself a couple days off from training (at least!) per week. Recovery days almost do more for us than in-gym days with CF training, trust me.

Log your eating on fitday.com or whatever you prefer. I write mine down and sometimes use fitday. Hate to say it, but even if you are not hungry, you need to make yourself. At least get past 1500 calories with your activity level. Remember, you cannot get fat from fat and protein. Raising blood sugar levels from eating processed carbohydrates and high-GI foods are the culprit for fat gain/storage.
Do you have a CF trainer? How long have you been doing CF style training?

One other thing, if you are going by the scale...well, don't. I gained muscle and lost body fat, thereby increasing my overall scale weight from my initial 120 range to nearing 130. How do your clothes fit? How is your performance level in the gym? Are you beating times, progressing in your lifts? Do you feel stronger?

Last edited by Christie Warner; 03-09-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Lindsay Grant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie Lawson View Post
I am thinking that you are not eating enough and you could be overtraining, as you suspect. I eat 1500 to 2000 a day. I train 3-4 times a week and I also have a major cheat day where I eat way more than normal and include potatoes and whatever else I deprive myself of throughout the week. I find cheat days help since they boost my caloric intake and give my metabolic rate a jolt from what it is accustomed to. You definitely should give yourself a couple days off from training (at least!) per week. Recovery days almost do more for us than in-gym days with CF training, trust me.

Log your eating on fitday.com or whatever you prefer. I write mine down and sometimes use fitday. Hate to say it, but even if you are not hungry, you need to make yourself. At least get past 1500 calories with your activity level. Do you have a CF trainer? How long have you been doing CF style training?

One other thing, if you are going by the scale...well, don't. How do your clothes fit? How is your performance level in the gym? Are you beating times, progressing in your lifts? Do you feel stronger?

I have been doing Crossfit since September...when I started I was at 157 so I have definitely seen results. I started trying to eat paleo in October and really got strict with it in January which is where I lost about 7lbs..I have talked with one of the trainers at our gym. I haven't told her how many calories, I just tell her the types of foods I eat. Maybe I will talk with her tonight then. I am going to try and eat AT LEAST 1500 everyday for the next week and see what happens as far as energy levels and weight goes...I don't want to go up in weight that is for sure...this is the weight that I can never really get under...even when I have lost weight in the past, it never went below 137 so for me to break that barrier with paleo and crossfit would be awesome for me!

Thanks for the advice Christie and Jamie and hopefully I can get through this rough spot!!
Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Christie Warner

Profile:

Quote:
I have been doing Crossfit since September...when I started I was at 157 so I have definitely seen results. I started trying to eat paleo in October and really got strict with it in January which is where I lost about 7lbs..I have talked with one of the trainers at our gym. I haven't told her how many calories, I just tell her the types of foods I eat. Maybe I will talk with her tonight then. I am going to try and eat AT LEAST 1500 everyday for the next week and see what happens as far as energy levels and weight goes...I don't want to go up in weight that is for sure...this is the weight that I can never really get under...even when I have lost weight in the past, it never went below 137 so for me to break that barrier with paleo and crossfit would be awesome for me!

Thanks for the advice Christie and Jamie and hopefully I can get through this rough spot!!
That sounds great. I'll be honest...it took me 6 months to get serious or noticeable results. Stick with it and stay stubborn about it! Keep your intensity levels up, as you've already seen results!! Glad to help and keep us posted please!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Lindsay,

How are you not starving?! I eat double the calories you do; my ratios average 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein, the rest carbs. I'm 5'4" and 118, CF four times a week. My weight has held steady for some time now, but I continue to make strength gains in the gym, so I'm happy.

I could stand to lose some belly fat, but I honestly like the way it looks...but its my understanding that birth control will make it very difficult to lose that last bit, should I attempt it. Something to consider. (On the other hand, if you are paleo its likely you are super fertile, so keep that in mind, ha)

In your case, I think your ratios are good, and agree with others you could stand to eat to eat more. and I'm with Jaime - you may not notice a diff on the scale, but in body composition, so don't be too discouraged if you are seeing those types of changes.