CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
JR Saunders

Profile:
some ?'s on how you all base your workouts.

How many days a week do you all Crossfit? And when you all Crossfit, do you base the WOD on body parts?

For instance, the fight gone bad w.o I did seemed to kill my shoulders, so would you do something that had shoulders in it the next day?

Also, do workouts fit different goals? They come off that way, but i'll ask to be safe since i'm in a newbie forum lol..

For instance, if somebody was a MMA guy, does he have certain workouts to perform? Vs a guy who wants to get bigger but still get the conditioning effect from it...i'm assuming Crossfit doesn't allow anybody to be slow, by the way i'm taking it is all workouts are usually 10-15 minutes long.

Or if a guy wants to lose weight ect ect....I know Crossfit is big on all around performance but i've been reading alot and it seems to still cater to certain areas of performance if thats what you're after..
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: some ?'s on how you all base your workouts.

JR- First, Welcome!

2nd- read the FAQ's they will help immensely.

People follow many different schedules, 3 on 1 off is the main schedule. Some do 5-2 or evry other day, or whatever.

There is no body part preference. You may work shoulders every day for a cycle, or you may do shoulders then quads then back. Most often you do some of everything every day.

Just follow the Main Page workouts, scaled as you need from Brand X, resting when you need to.

Have fun!

Oh, and yes- If you have specific goals, you may alter, add, or subtract from the programming to get you where you want to be. And No, all work outs are not 15 minutes long.

Last edited by Marcus Allen; 01-12-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: add in
Old 01-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
Omar Omar

Profile:

Hey Saunders

Your questions are easy to answer, depending on how fast you recover is how much you CrossFit, some people CrossFit 4x a week and some fallow the main site precisely for 3 days on and 1 day off. Elite athletes like Mikko Salo (Champion of the 2009 CrossFit games) could CrossFit up to 4-5 times a day, basically what other people do through out the week. It also depends on different people and their lifestyle, goals etc…

And no we do not focus on isolating body parts which makes rest even more important.

Finally, yes different CrossFitters twitch the program to fit their own goals. Crossfit has soccer players, hockey players and many world class athletes that use it for conditioning.

Crossfitendurance.com is a web site that uses CrossFit to make better endurance athletes. Their programming is different and focuses on endurance

CrossFitfootball.com is another that focuses on power and explosiveness mainly for sprinters and football players

Etc…

Glad to have you on board =)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Calogero Vassallo

Profile:

First welcome.

Second, I do whatever is put on the board as WOD.

If my shoulders are killing from push jerks or push press or thrusters and it calls for pullups or other shoulder work I just do it unless I'm in absolute soreness, and that's when I'll take a day off in between, otherwise I'm good for the WOD.

I go:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday - REST
Thursday
Friday
Saturday/Sunday - REST

I find if I go five days its to much and it just drains me and I can't get the most out of each WOD. You got to do what best suits your body and muscle recovery.

Best of luck!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Saunders View Post
How many days a week do you all Crossfit? And when you all Crossfit, do you base the WOD on body parts?

For instance, the fight gone bad w.o I did seemed to kill my shoulders, so would you do something that had shoulders in it the next day?
Hey JR, here is how I do a CrossFit-like workout.

I make a list of all possible exercises I can do (ie. physically and with the equipment at my disposal).

Then I attach probabilities to each exercise, where the larger probability means the exercise is more important to me. This allows me to incorporate my goals (set large prob for those exercises), as well as injuries that make some exercises off limits (set prob = 0 for exercises your injury prevents you from doing). If all exercises are equally important, I give them the same probability of selection.

Then I sample from these exercises randomly, say 10 of them to perform a workout. Most of the time I either lift weight until positive failure, or select a random rep number to do.

This is in an always free spreadsheet on my site. I also have a variation of this spreadsheet that displays an inputted number of exercises in large font that can be seen across the room, with an inputted delay between showing each exercise. This way I can do a barbell or sandbag complex.

Then every once in a while, no real set pattern, I'll do a 'deterministic' workout, such as max lift, max pushups, something Fran-ish, 100 pullups, a 10k run, etc., as an oft-returned to benchmark.

Justin
Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
John Jaeckel

Profile:

JR,

Dunno how old you are or what your starting fitness level is.

FREQUENCY: I would echo what others have said, go with what feels right. In addition to scaling the WOD itself to what you're ready for, also scale your frequency. I am a young, fairly fit 48. I have found that I need a bit more rest than the young bucks around here. I typically go 2 on, 1 off, or 3 on, 1 off. And sometimes, every other day, if I've gone to my affiliate and had my bu++ kicked. Rest, nutrition and diet are all critical to recovery. Some of these workouts can beat you up so much they'll depress your immune system and you'll find yourself getting colds and whatnot a lot.

BODYPARTS AND PROGRAMMING: I work out at home probably in a 3:1 ratio versus going to the gym. As such, I often don''t have all the access to equipment prescribed on the main site. Plus, my box programs a STRENGTH/SKILL routine between the WARMUP and the WOD. So I follow that at home. Generally, I find, either at the box or in what I do at home, between all three segments, I get at least some work in every part of my body, with some emphasis as often as not on one part of the body.

Overall, having done traditional strength/bodybuilding for years with all the bodypart segmentation, I would suggest you do Crossfit as RX'ed and forget the localized bodypart crap. The beauty of this protocol as you get more into it is increased athleticism through compound lifts, variety, gymnastics, etc. I have asked this question before and never gotten an answer: where would you fit overhead squats into a segmented "bodypart per day" approach? It's perhaps an overly simplistic question, but there's a basic truth to it.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
JR Saunders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
JR,

Dunno how old you are or what your starting fitness level is.

FREQUENCY: I would echo what others have said, go with what feels right. In addition to scaling the WOD itself to what you're ready for, also scale your frequency. I am a young, fairly fit 48. I have found that I need a bit more rest than the young bucks around here. I typically go 2 on, 1 off, or 3 on, 1 off. And sometimes, every other day, if I've gone to my affiliate and had my bu++ kicked. Rest, nutrition and diet are all critical to recovery. Some of these workouts can beat you up so much they'll depress your immune system and you'll find yourself getting colds and whatnot a lot.

BODYPARTS AND PROGRAMMING: I work out at home probably in a 3:1 ratio versus going to the gym. As such, I often don''t have all the access to equipment prescribed on the main site. Plus, my box programs a STRENGTH/SKILL routine between the WARMUP and the WOD. So I follow that at home. Generally, I find, either at the box or in what I do at home, between all three segments, I get at least some work in every part of my body, with some emphasis as often as not on one part of the body.

Overall, having done traditional strength/bodybuilding for years with all the bodypart segmentation, I would suggest you do Crossfit as RX'ed and forget the localized bodypart crap. The beauty of this protocol as you get more into it is increased athleticism through compound lifts, variety, gymnastics, etc. I have asked this question before and never gotten an answer: where would you fit overhead squats into a segmented "bodypart per day" approach? It's perhaps an overly simplistic question, but there's a basic truth to it.

Good luck.
I hear what you're saying..the only Crossfit gym around here is open from 5-9 Mon-Fri..and w/that my schedule is real inconsistent..like I work alot of 1-9s throughout the week...so i'd be inconsistent..and i'd like to actually workout five days a week vs just doing it 2 or 3..i'd go crazy if I couldn't get it in one way or another lol..

as for what you said for increased athleticism I agree completely..that is better that standard body part movements..I guess i'm worried about how i'm going to get it all to work its way together..

the way it is now since I do standard bodybuilding ish for the most part is when I actually do get to do crossfit i'm sore as hell...like right now for instance...I did a free MMA class yesterday just to try it out..loved it, but because I already beat my bodys *** throughout the week w/basketball and standard lifting..i'm sooo sore..

I guess I need to pick something lol...I can't do it all like i'd want to..I guess i'm trying to get the best of everything...I want to continue to add size w/my tall frame (i'm 6'7" at 225lbs) I don't want to lose weight ya kno..

do you think if I were to continue to eat heavy but do crossfit by itself along w/the mma ish i could continually add weight or at least maintain what I have?

I was also looking at crossfit football and it seems like something I could really get in for the strength size of it all..
Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

what are your goals. Be specific, goals have numbers.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Saunders View Post
the way it is now since I do standard bodybuilding ish for the most part is when I actually do get to do crossfit i'm sore as hell...like right now for instance...I did a free MMA class yesterday just to try it out..loved it, but because I already beat my bodys *** throughout the week w/basketball and standard lifting..i'm sooo sore..
Uh, yeah, you would be.

Crossfit is intended to replace other strength and conditioning routines. It can be a pretty heavy load all by itself, so piling CF on top of what you're already doing is just asking for trouble.

Katherine
Old 01-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Eugene Goldashkin

Profile:

my suggestion would be to start the program see how it goes and then look at what you need to change, I also do mon,tue, wen=rest, thur, fri, satand sun=rest. I eat anywhere from 3500-5000 cal a day so i dont lose weight at all.