CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

"The first is also likely to be your most productive."

That's why I'm a little skeptical whether or not I should do it in parallel with Swim Team or when I have time off. I realize I will get the best results the first time and I'm worried that two hours of swimming a day will minimize my gains. To counter this I will do Gomad, eat like hell, and sleep at least 9 hours a day. Will this be enough to see great gains in size and weight?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #42
Scott Dyck

Profile:

[QUOTE=Zach Forrest;706543]Think of a muscle as a water pipe, where water passing through equals strength. The larger the pipe (bigger the muscle), the more water can potentially pass through (more strength).

QUOTE]

I think I know what you're saying, but this isn't the best analogy. Larger cross-sectional muscle size and strength are pretty much the same thing for a raw beginner.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Scott, it was the best analogy I could come up with. A raw beginner? Correct, but he isn't a "raw" beginner...he has some muscular conditioning from sports. I would consider a "raw beginner" someone with NO previous strength & conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
"The first is also likely to be your most productive."

That's why I'm a little skeptical whether or not I should do it in parallel with Swim Team or when I have time off. I realize I will get the best results the first time and I'm worried that two hours of swimming a day will minimize my gains. To counter this I will do Gomad, eat like hell, and sleep at least 9 hours a day. Will this be enough to see great gains in size and weight?
Nobody is going to be able to tell you a certain "Yes", Aidan. It comes down to your body. Will you get the "best gains possible" by doing it parallel with swim? In my opinion, not likely. Will you see gains? Most likely.

You will see gains, even the second time you do the program, if you don't do it while swimming. Don't use swimming as an excuse to put it off. Just do it and see what happens...it's not like you'll get weaker (unless you are overtraining/underrecovering, eh?).
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #44
Matt Corley

Profile:

Aiden,

In my opinion if you do it twice, with the length of time between them that you've mentioned earlier (which is significant) you will be better off from a overall strength standpoint than if you wait around and do it once later on.

I'd also say that waiting for the perfect set of circumstances to be in place before starting a program could cost you a lot of lost time.

That doesn't mean add strength training without taking into account all your other activities but sometimes you just have to lift.

I may have missed this at some point, but what is your main goal right now?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #45
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

To gain strength and size. My friend and I are both in great cardiovascular shape and are good at calisthenics and sprints from wrestling conditioning. However, we are pretty lean and want to make some gains overall. I will definitely do SS in conjunction with Swim Team, and then later on again when the time is right. Also, would adding a bunch of strength help in other areas like push ups or pullups? After doing SS I'll be doing 12 weeks to BUD/s to get my pst numbers up.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #46
Matt Corley

Profile:

If you want to get ready for BUDs maybe SS isn't what's right for you.

Look this over and see if it fits your needs:
http://www.****************.com/reso...highlight=BUDs wfs

This could be what you're looking for.

Good luck,

matt
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #47
Justin McGinley

Profile:

So this conversation started 6 days ago.

What have you done to get stronger between now and then?

Stop looking for the perfect program, and just go lift something heavy.

(Also eat more. much more)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #48
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
To gain strength and size. My friend and I are both in great cardiovascular shape and are good at calisthenics and sprints from wrestling conditioning. However, we are pretty lean and want to make some gains overall. I will definitely do SS in conjunction with Swim Team, and then later on again when the time is right. Also, would adding a bunch of strength help in other areas like push ups or pullups? After doing SS I'll be doing 12 weeks to BUD/s to get my pst numbers up.
If I knew you were training for BUD/S I would have suggested differently, actually. BUD/S is not a strength game and most bulky guys who get there, eventually drop out.

Yeah, you need to be able to lift logs and boats and carry your buddy and lug around a load-out of gear, but BUD/S is an endurance game...hands down. You're legs are going to take a beating, you need to know how to swim, and you should be great with the "Angie" movements.

IMO, doing regular CrossFit with some added calisthenics/running/swimming will prep you enough. The rest is mental.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #49
Christian Holm

Profile:

Don't worry guys, we aren't heading to BUD/s yet. I'm Aidan's 125 pound friend btw. We aren't doing SS this second because we have 3+ hours of wrestling practice everyday and 8 hour tournaments on the weekends. On top of that we have to maintain weight to stay on the team. It's all just part of the game. Wrestling gets you in amazing shape, and definitely helps me out when I go to the crossfit classes, but of course in life it helps when you are big and strong, not just lean and wiry so in 2 months once wrestling ends and Swim Team starts we will hit SS hard. Right now we are seniors in hs, and planning to head to BUD/S after we graduate college. By then I'll have around 3 years of crossfit under my belt, and I'll move on to a more tailored program like SEALFit or Brassring Fitness. The 12 weeks workout in (in conjuction with lifting a couple times a week) is just to make sure our pushup/situp/pull up numbers are where they should be before just straight crossfit and calisthenics. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #50
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
Don't worry guys, we aren't heading to BUD/s yet. I'm Aidan's 125 pound friend btw. We aren't doing SS this second because we have 3+ hours of wrestling practice everyday and 8 hour tournaments on the weekends. On top of that we have to maintain weight to stay on the team. It's all just part of the game. Wrestling gets you in amazing shape, and definitely helps me out when I go to the crossfit classes, but of course in life it helps when you are big and strong, not just lean and wiry so in 2 months once wrestling ends and Swim Team starts we will hit SS hard. Right now we are seniors in hs, and planning to head to BUD/S after we graduate college. By then I'll have around 3 years of crossfit under my belt, and I'll move on to a more tailored program like SEALFit or Brassring Fitness. The 12 weeks workout in (in conjuction with lifting a couple times a week) is just to make sure our pushup/situp/pull up numbers are where they should be before just straight crossfit and calisthenics. Thanks for the help guys.
What better programming is there than CrossFit to GET your push-up/sit-up/pull-up numbers where they should be?