CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #41
Aidan Macdonald
Member Aidan Macdonald is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Newbury Park  CA
Posts: 209
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

"The first is also likely to be your most productive."

That's why I'm a little skeptical whether or not I should do it in parallel with Swim Team or when I have time off. I realize I will get the best results the first time and I'm worried that two hours of swimming a day will minimize my gains. To counter this I will do Gomad, eat like hell, and sleep at least 9 hours a day. Will this be enough to see great gains in size and weight?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #42
Scott Dyck
Member Scott Dyck is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 186
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

[QUOTE=Zach Forrest;706543]Think of a muscle as a water pipe, where water passing through equals strength. The larger the pipe (bigger the muscle), the more water can potentially pass through (more strength).

QUOTE]

I think I know what you're saying, but this isn't the best analogy. Larger cross-sectional muscle size and strength are pretty much the same thing for a raw beginner.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
Zach Forrest
Affiliate Zach Forrest is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 161
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Scott, it was the best analogy I could come up with. A raw beginner? Correct, but he isn't a "raw" beginner...he has some muscular conditioning from sports. I would consider a "raw beginner" someone with NO previous strength & conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
"The first is also likely to be your most productive."

That's why I'm a little skeptical whether or not I should do it in parallel with Swim Team or when I have time off. I realize I will get the best results the first time and I'm worried that two hours of swimming a day will minimize my gains. To counter this I will do Gomad, eat like hell, and sleep at least 9 hours a day. Will this be enough to see great gains in size and weight?
Nobody is going to be able to tell you a certain "Yes", Aidan. It comes down to your body. Will you get the "best gains possible" by doing it parallel with swim? In my opinion, not likely. Will you see gains? Most likely.

You will see gains, even the second time you do the program, if you don't do it while swimming. Don't use swimming as an excuse to put it off. Just do it and see what happens...it's not like you'll get weaker (unless you are overtraining/underrecovering, eh?).
__________________
--*Insert motivational quote here*--
www.crossfitmaxeffort.com (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #44
Matt Corley
Member Matt Corley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Webster Groves  MO
Posts: 647
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Aiden,

In my opinion if you do it twice, with the length of time between them that you've mentioned earlier (which is significant) you will be better off from a overall strength standpoint than if you wait around and do it once later on.

I'd also say that waiting for the perfect set of circumstances to be in place before starting a program could cost you a lot of lost time.

That doesn't mean add strength training without taking into account all your other activities but sometimes you just have to lift.

I may have missed this at some point, but what is your main goal right now?
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/MappingMyBjjJourney WFS
LEGENDS25 for 25% off Hylete Gear
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #45
Aidan Macdonald
Member Aidan Macdonald is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Newbury Park  CA
Posts: 209
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

To gain strength and size. My friend and I are both in great cardiovascular shape and are good at calisthenics and sprints from wrestling conditioning. However, we are pretty lean and want to make some gains overall. I will definitely do SS in conjunction with Swim Team, and then later on again when the time is right. Also, would adding a bunch of strength help in other areas like push ups or pullups? After doing SS I'll be doing 12 weeks to BUD/s to get my pst numbers up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #46
Matt Corley
Member Matt Corley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Webster Groves  MO
Posts: 647
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

If you want to get ready for BUDs maybe SS isn't what's right for you.

Look this over and see if it fits your needs:
http://www.****************.com/reso...highlight=BUDs wfs

This could be what you're looking for.

Good luck,

matt
__________________
https://www.facebook.com/MappingMyBjjJourney WFS
LEGENDS25 for 25% off Hylete Gear
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #47
Justin McGinley
Affiliate Justin McGinley is offline
 
Justin McGinley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cherry Hill  NJ
Posts: 3,047
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

So this conversation started 6 days ago.

What have you done to get stronger between now and then?

Stop looking for the perfect program, and just go lift something heavy.

(Also eat more. much more)
__________________
My Affiliate - CrossFit Aspire in Cherry Hill New Jersey
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #48
Zach Forrest
Affiliate Zach Forrest is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 161
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
To gain strength and size. My friend and I are both in great cardiovascular shape and are good at calisthenics and sprints from wrestling conditioning. However, we are pretty lean and want to make some gains overall. I will definitely do SS in conjunction with Swim Team, and then later on again when the time is right. Also, would adding a bunch of strength help in other areas like push ups or pullups? After doing SS I'll be doing 12 weeks to BUD/s to get my pst numbers up.
If I knew you were training for BUD/S I would have suggested differently, actually. BUD/S is not a strength game and most bulky guys who get there, eventually drop out.

Yeah, you need to be able to lift logs and boats and carry your buddy and lug around a load-out of gear, but BUD/S is an endurance game...hands down. You're legs are going to take a beating, you need to know how to swim, and you should be great with the "Angie" movements.

IMO, doing regular CrossFit with some added calisthenics/running/swimming will prep you enough. The rest is mental.
__________________
--*Insert motivational quote here*--
www.crossfitmaxeffort.com (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #49
Christian Holm
Member Christian Holm is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Newbury Park  CA
Posts: 34
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Don't worry guys, we aren't heading to BUD/s yet. I'm Aidan's 125 pound friend btw. We aren't doing SS this second because we have 3+ hours of wrestling practice everyday and 8 hour tournaments on the weekends. On top of that we have to maintain weight to stay on the team. It's all just part of the game. Wrestling gets you in amazing shape, and definitely helps me out when I go to the crossfit classes, but of course in life it helps when you are big and strong, not just lean and wiry so in 2 months once wrestling ends and Swim Team starts we will hit SS hard. Right now we are seniors in hs, and planning to head to BUD/S after we graduate college. By then I'll have around 3 years of crossfit under my belt, and I'll move on to a more tailored program like SEALFit or Brassring Fitness. The 12 weeks workout in (in conjuction with lifting a couple times a week) is just to make sure our pushup/situp/pull up numbers are where they should be before just straight crossfit and calisthenics. Thanks for the help guys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #50
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Holm View Post
Don't worry guys, we aren't heading to BUD/s yet. I'm Aidan's 125 pound friend btw. We aren't doing SS this second because we have 3+ hours of wrestling practice everyday and 8 hour tournaments on the weekends. On top of that we have to maintain weight to stay on the team. It's all just part of the game. Wrestling gets you in amazing shape, and definitely helps me out when I go to the crossfit classes, but of course in life it helps when you are big and strong, not just lean and wiry so in 2 months once wrestling ends and Swim Team starts we will hit SS hard. Right now we are seniors in hs, and planning to head to BUD/S after we graduate college. By then I'll have around 3 years of crossfit under my belt, and I'll move on to a more tailored program like SEALFit or Brassring Fitness. The 12 weeks workout in (in conjuction with lifting a couple times a week) is just to make sure our pushup/situp/pull up numbers are where they should be before just straight crossfit and calisthenics. Thanks for the help guys.
What better programming is there than CrossFit to GET your push-up/sit-up/pull-up numbers where they should be?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strength Program Q's Joe Bernard Fitness 53 10-06-2009 04:09 PM
Strength Program Options Sean J Hunter Fitness 12 09-12-2009 11:04 PM
Best Strength Program for Female Lisa Gallagher Starting 25 01-05-2009 07:30 PM
Effective Strength/CF program Andrew G. Greenberg Fitness 0 03-09-2008 06:56 PM
Starting Strength program? Jacob Rumschik Starting 2 12-11-2007 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.