CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #31
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: A Not so Crossfit Strength Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I have a friend who want's to do Starting Strength with me. He is 5'6.5, 125 pounds, 7% bf, and is pretty muscular and lean due to wrestling. He was wondering if he would be getting as good results now while on Swim Team, then when he can completely focus on it. The reason he is worried is because during college both his parent's grew like 4-5 inches so he knows he isn't through puberty, and he wants to see significant gains in weight and strength. Also he doesn't want to disrupt his growth, so could lifting this heavy put a damp on his potential height? Would it be possible to do SS now, exhaust all the gains we can, then try SS a year or two later and still see significant gains in strength and size? If not he will probably just do the program when he can fully dedicate to it.
Lifting heavy will not stunt your growth. Inadequate food will. At 125 pounds, he should be eating a LOT more than he is. (Yes, I know making weight for wrestling probably figures into that. Whatever.)

Katherine
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #32
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Quote:
Lifting heavy will not stunt your growth. Inadequate food will. At 125 pounds, he should be eating a LOT more than he is. (Yes, I know making weight for wrestling probably figures into that. Whatever.)
Thats what I told him, basically he needs to be told to do the program and he will!

Last edited by Aidan Macdonald; 12-04-2009 at 09:31 PM..
Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #33
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

Can someone answer whether or not I would be able to do SS twice. Once now with split focus on Swim Team, and maybe once a year or two from now with full dedication and without the distraction of cardio. I want to gain significant weight and strength both times and was wondering if it can be done.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #34
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Quote:
Can someone answer whether or not I would be able to do SS twice. Once now with split focus on Swim Team, and maybe once a year or two from now with full dedication and without the distraction of cardio. I want to gain significant weight and strength both times and was wondering if it can be done.
Like people posted before, SS can be done while making linear gains in strength. Once that stops happening, you are going to need to switch out the template for something a little more advanced to help progress you.

I wanted to touch on your goals as (maybe I missed it) I don't think that SS would be right for you anyway. What's your lifting background? Have you done anything outside of swim team?

The reason I ask is because you might gain more size (and therefore a higher capacity for strength gain) if you were to do a hypertrophy cycle first. If you have access to bumpers and are somewhat experienced with the O-lifts (or want to get more experience) then I would HIGHLY suggest a cycle or two of the Performance Menu Functional Mass Gain programs (WFS).

After that, hitting SS hard will allow a much greater gain in strength.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #35
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Forrest View Post
Like people posted before, SS can be done while making linear gains in strength. Once that stops happening, you are going to need to switch out the template for something a little more advanced to help progress you.

I wanted to touch on your goals as (maybe I missed it) I don't think that SS would be right for you anyway. What's your lifting background? Have you done anything outside of swim team?

The reason I ask is because you might gain more size (and therefore a higher capacity for strength gain) if you were to do a hypertrophy cycle first. If you have access to bumpers and are somewhat experienced with the O-lifts (or want to get more experience) then I would HIGHLY suggest a cycle or two of the Performance Menu Functional Mass Gain programs (WFS).

After that, hitting SS hard will allow a much greater gain in strength.
I'm confused by your post here, Zach. Why would lifting for hypertrophy before lifting for strength make the strength work build more hypertrophy? And if that program really is olympic lifting centered then how is it more of a hypertrophy program than SS (I'm guessing performance menu doesn't have people supersetting 3 different kinds of curls)?

Rips program has you packing on muscle and strength about as fast as a novice can (ESPECIALLY in the legs), IF you can recover properly. How is PMenu's program better for someone not interested in competitive Olympic lifting?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #36
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I know that once I start hitting linear gains I would have to switch out programs. What I was asking was could I do the program till I hit linear gains now, then come back to the program when I'm even more mature and naturally larger and stronger later and still make big gains in strength and size.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #37
Jason Cherry

Profile:

For what it is worth 9 weeks ago I started a SS styled routine M/W/F with:

Squats...Push Press...Cleans...Deadlift with an increase in weight moved every other Wednesday.

For diet I eat pretty clean with a gallon of 2% Milk a day. I have gone from 151 to 178 as of this morning.

If you want to get big, eat big and sleep!

Peace.

Last edited by Jason Cherry; 12-05-2009 at 07:36 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #38
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I know that once I start hitting linear gains I would have to switch out programs. What I was asking was could I do the program till I hit linear gains now, then come back to the program when I'm even more mature and naturally larger and stronger later and still make big gains in strength and size.
It will never be easier for you to gain muscle than it is right now. You'd be foolish not to take advantage of that.

"Maturity" is not an advantage if you're trying to add muscle. Youth is. Besides which, you don't know where you'll be or what your goals will be two or three years from now. Bank your gains while you can.

Katherine
Old 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #39
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I'm confused by your post here, Zach. Why would lifting for hypertrophy before lifting for strength make the strength work build more hypertrophy? And if that program really is olympic lifting centered then how is it more of a hypertrophy program than SS (I'm guessing performance menu doesn't have people supersetting 3 different kinds of curls)?

Rips program has you packing on muscle and strength about as fast as a novice can (ESPECIALLY in the legs), IF you can recover properly. How is PMenu's program better for someone not interested in competitive Olympic lifting?
Think of a muscle as a water pipe, where water passing through equals strength. The larger the pipe (bigger the muscle), the more water can potentially pass through (more strength).

Olympic lifts utilize more musculature than power lifts, as well. I'm not saying Rip's program sucks for strength gains (it's quite adequate for a beginner, actually), but if his concern is building muscle size then a strength program might not be best - a hypertrophy program would.

I've had good results in gaining weight and functional mass (not necessarily straight strength) with PM's program - just throwing it out there.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #40
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
To answer in a single word.

Yes.

To answer in several words:
Yes, but each time will be a little different than the first. The first is also likely to be your most productive.