CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Justin Arnest

Profile:
Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

In the journal video article "Nutrition Lecture Part 1: Avoiding Disease", at 10:13 in the video, Glassman says no Lineolaic Acid or Flax. Why?
I saw on the shelf the other day a product by Twin Lab "CLA Fuel" - Conjuagated Linoleic Acid for use to reduce body fat.
I have also heard many misc. nutritionists recommend 1 tablespoon a day of ground flax seed.
Can anyone comment or expand on these subjects and why Glassman might have said no to these supplements?
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin York View Post
In the journal video article "Nutrition Lecture Part 1: Avoiding Disease", at 10:13 in the video, Glassman says no Lineolaic Acid or Flax. Why?
I saw on the shelf the other day a product by Twin Lab "CLA Fuel" - Conjuagated Linoleic Acid for use to reduce body fat.
I have also heard many misc. nutritionists recommend 1 tablespoon a day of ground flax seed.
Can anyone comment or expand on these subjects and why Glassman might have said no to these supplements?
Thanks!
I certainly can't read Coach's mind, but two things may be at play.

First, alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), of which flax is a good source, is converted by the body to the more beneficial forms, but with a poor efficiency. You are better off getting your Omega-3's in the form of eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA) from animal sources (O-3 eggs, fish oil, fatty fish, grass-fed meat).

Secondly, some studies have correlated high intake of ALA with increased risk of cancer, particularly prostate cancer. Here is a recent mega-analysis though that dispels this argument (WFS):

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/1/142

Conjugated linoleic acid is different. It is only available in meat and dairy and has been shown to have anti-tumorogenic properties. You can read more here (WFS):

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=201014

If CLA and ALA are like most other dietary "miracle nutrients" (and there is no reason to believe that they are not), I'll continue to get my share from whole foods rather than from supplements.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Justin Arnest

Profile:

Thanks, Scott. I will check the links you posted.
Regrettably, I am very un-informed nutritionaly, but doing my best to get up to speed.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin York View Post
Thanks, Scott. I will check the links you posted.
Regrettably, I am very un-informed nutritionaly, but doing my best to get up to speed.
Knowledge is power.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:

Ground flax seed isn't a supplement. Its a seed that has been ground. I don't buy you should steer clear of flax (flax oil on the other hand I do not take). I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular). ALA isn't the only reason that flax is great, I wish people would focus more on the other stuff that is in it.

CLA is a supplement. That is up to the consumer. I wouldn't confuse supplementation for a really good reason with supplementation just because. People can eat whole foods all the time and still not get enough of what they need because people have tastes, and will gravitate towards what they like, and steer clear of what they don't like which may have crucial nutrients.

Plus, your "average" CrossFitter has a need beyond your "average" adult and eating whole foods won't cut it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Ground flax seed isn't a supplement. Its a seed that has been ground. I don't buy you should steer clear of flax (flax oil on the other hand I do not take). I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular). ALA isn't the only reason that flax is great, I wish people would focus more on the other stuff that is in it.

CLA is a supplement. That is up to the consumer. I wouldn't confuse supplementation for a really good reason with supplementation just because. People can eat whole foods all the time and still not get enough of what they need because people have tastes, and will gravitate towards what they like, and steer clear of what they don't like which may have crucial nutrients.

Plus, your "average" CrossFitter has a need beyond your "average" adult and eating whole foods won't cut it.
I agree George. I didn't mean to imply that ground flax was a supplement. I wasn't very clear, but I was referring to the CLA.

I'd argue that if you eat a moderately varied, paleo-type diet, you probably are getting everything you need (assuming adequate macros), even if you're a CF'er. The one exception might be O-3's if you're eating feed-lot meat and not much fish.

12 TBSP per day? I'm sure you are regular.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular).
I use 1-2 T per day...I couldnt even imagine 12.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Scott Clark

Profile:

Damn George, you're knocking down around 25g of fiber just from flax alone. Nice. What's your total fiber for the day come to?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

12 tbsp a day? damn, you'd be so regular you could set your watch to it
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Damn George, you're knocking down around 25g of fiber just from flax alone. Nice. What's your total fiber for the day come to?
My fiber varies from around 45-60g a day. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Yes, I am very in tune with that portion of my biological clock.