CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
Justin Arnest
Affiliate Justin Arnest is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roseville  CA
Posts: 71
Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

In the journal video article "Nutrition Lecture Part 1: Avoiding Disease", at 10:13 in the video, Glassman says no Lineolaic Acid or Flax. Why?
I saw on the shelf the other day a product by Twin Lab "CLA Fuel" - Conjuagated Linoleic Acid for use to reduce body fat.
I have also heard many misc. nutritionists recommend 1 tablespoon a day of ground flax seed.
Can anyone comment or expand on these subjects and why Glassman might have said no to these supplements?
Thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson
Member Scott Allen Hanson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Idaho Falls  Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin York View Post
In the journal video article "Nutrition Lecture Part 1: Avoiding Disease", at 10:13 in the video, Glassman says no Lineolaic Acid or Flax. Why?
I saw on the shelf the other day a product by Twin Lab "CLA Fuel" - Conjuagated Linoleic Acid for use to reduce body fat.
I have also heard many misc. nutritionists recommend 1 tablespoon a day of ground flax seed.
Can anyone comment or expand on these subjects and why Glassman might have said no to these supplements?
Thanks!
I certainly can't read Coach's mind, but two things may be at play.

First, alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), of which flax is a good source, is converted by the body to the more beneficial forms, but with a poor efficiency. You are better off getting your Omega-3's in the form of eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA) from animal sources (O-3 eggs, fish oil, fatty fish, grass-fed meat).

Secondly, some studies have correlated high intake of ALA with increased risk of cancer, particularly prostate cancer. Here is a recent mega-analysis though that dispels this argument (WFS):

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/1/142

Conjugated linoleic acid is different. It is only available in meat and dairy and has been shown to have anti-tumorogenic properties. You can read more here (WFS):

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=201014

If CLA and ALA are like most other dietary "miracle nutrients" (and there is no reason to believe that they are not), I'll continue to get my share from whole foods rather than from supplements.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Justin Arnest
Affiliate Justin Arnest is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Roseville  CA
Posts: 71
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Thanks, Scott. I will check the links you posted.
Regrettably, I am very un-informed nutritionaly, but doing my best to get up to speed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson
Member Scott Allen Hanson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Idaho Falls  Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin York View Post
Thanks, Scott. I will check the links you posted.
Regrettably, I am very un-informed nutritionaly, but doing my best to get up to speed.
Knowledge is power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Ground flax seed isn't a supplement. Its a seed that has been ground. I don't buy you should steer clear of flax (flax oil on the other hand I do not take). I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular). ALA isn't the only reason that flax is great, I wish people would focus more on the other stuff that is in it.

CLA is a supplement. That is up to the consumer. I wouldn't confuse supplementation for a really good reason with supplementation just because. People can eat whole foods all the time and still not get enough of what they need because people have tastes, and will gravitate towards what they like, and steer clear of what they don't like which may have crucial nutrients.

Plus, your "average" CrossFitter has a need beyond your "average" adult and eating whole foods won't cut it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson
Member Scott Allen Hanson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Idaho Falls  Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Ground flax seed isn't a supplement. Its a seed that has been ground. I don't buy you should steer clear of flax (flax oil on the other hand I do not take). I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular). ALA isn't the only reason that flax is great, I wish people would focus more on the other stuff that is in it.

CLA is a supplement. That is up to the consumer. I wouldn't confuse supplementation for a really good reason with supplementation just because. People can eat whole foods all the time and still not get enough of what they need because people have tastes, and will gravitate towards what they like, and steer clear of what they don't like which may have crucial nutrients.

Plus, your "average" CrossFitter has a need beyond your "average" adult and eating whole foods won't cut it.
I agree George. I didn't mean to imply that ground flax was a supplement. I wasn't very clear, but I was referring to the CLA.

I'd argue that if you eat a moderately varied, paleo-type diet, you probably are getting everything you need (assuming adequate macros), even if you're a CF'er. The one exception might be O-3's if you're eating feed-lot meat and not much fish.

12 TBSP per day? I'm sure you are regular.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Amber Mathwig
Member Amber Mathwig is offline
 
Amber Mathwig's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,148
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
I have roughly 12 tablespoons a day of ground flax seed (and oh yes, I've very regular).
I use 1-2 T per day...I couldnt even imagine 12.
__________________
I'm on a boat.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Scott Clark
Departed Scott Clark is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
 
Posts: 507
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Damn George, you're knocking down around 25g of fiber just from flax alone. Nice. What's your total fiber for the day come to?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Gus Gallagher
Member Gus Gallagher is offline
 
Gus Gallagher's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Perth  WA
Posts: 256
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

12 tbsp a day? damn, you'd be so regular you could set your watch to it
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
George Mounce
Banned for Ethical and Integrity Violations George Mounce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Steens  MS
Posts: 3,295
Re: Linolec Acid, Flax: Glassman's Comments in Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Clark View Post
Damn George, you're knocking down around 25g of fiber just from flax alone. Nice. What's your total fiber for the day come to?
My fiber varies from around 45-60g a day. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Yes, I am very in tune with that portion of my biological clock.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coach Glassman's status? David Loszewski Starting 1 03-24-2008 07:53 AM
Flax seed? Amy Crawford Nutrition 7 10-18-2007 12:34 PM
Thank You Glassman's and the Crossfit Family!!! Chad Satterfield Testimonials 0 04-03-2007 12:44 PM
Sprouted Flax Michael Homburger Nutrition 1 08-28-2006 11:27 PM
Flax Scott Kustes Nutrition 19 10-02-2003 03:26 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.