CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
Jason M Struck

Profile:
Re: book on the snatch

that avatar does imply something less than serious...

on a sort of related note,

http://www.torrentz.com/42c070d9526d...60a3aaea61126b

not safe people! NOT SAFE

i found the world class coaching videos on a torrent. I thought that if the community wanted to get them and host them, then they would be readily accessible and quickly downloadable (think of every Crossfitter seeding at the same time!)

I think it's worth considering more P2P resources, in the open source spirit of crossfit. There are a few things that are hard to find, out of print, or unrealistically priced.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Beth Moscov

Profile:

Personally, I think allowing the owners of the videos to continue to profit is a worthwhile venture. While I do support open source totally, I also understand that the people who did this didn't make a lot of money. They did it for love of the sport. Weightlifting in America is already difficult due to the fact that it simply doesn't get enough money. Our top athletes are subsidized to train like in other parts of the world. People who give things away, Like Coach Glassman and Coach Bergener, do it out of generosity. Simply taking something from someone who probably still, years later, is trying to recoup his initial costs, isn't generous.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:36 AM   #13
Jason M Struck

Profile:

all valid points.

perhaps weighlifting also struggles in America because it is a rare, closed-doors sort of thing.

a combination of lack of access, with few athletes and few coaches doesn't bode well for the long term development of the sport either.

Dan John made an excellent point once, paraphrasing "Do you think that if we treated Basketball the way we do Olympic Lifting, that there'd still be any kids left playing Basketball?".

I thought his point was also valid.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #14
James R. Climer

Profile:

Earlier:"Coach Glassman loaned me a book on the snatch. It was the best book on the snatch I have ever read. I made a copy of it..."

Then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Moscov View Post
Personally, I think allowing the owners of the videos to continue to profit is a worthwhile venture. While I do support open source totally, I also understand that the people who did this didn't make a lot of money. They did it for love of the sport. Weightlifting in America is already difficult due to the fact that it simply doesn't get enough money. Our top athletes are subsidized to train like in other parts of the world. People who give things away, Like Coach Glassman and Coach Bergener, do it out of generosity. Simply taking something from someone who probably still, years later, is trying to recoup his initial costs, isn't generous.

Just my two cents.
Am I getting a mixed message here, or just mixed up?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Warren C Ellison

Profile:

Interesting point James, copyright violation is copyright violation. Oh well.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
Aimee Anaya

Profile:
There's always "the best book available on Olympic Weightlifting"...

"Simply the best book available on Olympic weightlifting."
-Don Weideman, Vice President, Pacific Weightlifting Association

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches
Greg Everett

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches is the most comprehensive and practical book available on learning, teaching and performing the Olympic lifts for athletes of all disciplines. Progressing logically from start to finish, the book covers every aspect of learning and training with both the simplicity necessary for the novice and the complexity desired by the more advanced. Contains more than 50 supplemental exercises and over 600 photographs. (300 pages)

* Learning Progressions
* Supplemental Exercises
* Fault Correction
* Flexibility Training
* Nutrition & Bodyweight
* Program Design
* Recovery Management
* Equipment & Facility
* Competition

http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...rScreen300.jpg
Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
Jason Gipper

Profile:

Yeah I've got this one pre-ordered. I could use some good info on these olympic lifts.