CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Michael Cordell

Profile:
Crossfit Modifying need help from distance runners!

Hey Guys I need some advice,
Quick History:
22 yr old male, 155-160 lbs 6'0. Last Murph Time: 33 minutes.
Lifted traditional body building for 2 yrs at the beginning of college (bench, squats, dead pull ups), put on about 20 lbs, mostly muscle (I think). Found cross-fit about 6 months ago, been doing the std. WODs for the last 6 mos. Lost the majority of the weight I had put on but none of the strength so I think thats positive.
Love Cross Fit, but I have a new goal, I wanna run distance. Haven't decided what my eventual goal will be but I think it will be a half marathon or marathon.

I don't want to stop cross fitting but I want to figure out a way to integrate distance training into the std WOD framework. I want to improve my distance running but don't wanna lose the strength and ability gains from the last 6 mos/2yrs. Any Ideas on how to do this? Currently im trying to run 5 times a week (5k-10k), my dog like to run 5 times a week too . In addition I am doing a combination of std. lifting or crossfit about 5 times a week depending on my energy level.

Any recommendations would be great!
Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Modifying need help from distance runners!

Go check out CrossFit Endurance http://crossfitendurance.com/ wfs I assume
Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Check out CrossfitEndurance
Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Eric Machus

Profile:

I agree, go with CFE and tell us how it turns out... selfishly I want to see somebody blackbox a marathon from the beginning with CFE.

I ran a marathon a few years ago on the basic plain vanilla plan that included LSD's on Sundays/once a week. got my mileage up to ~40 mpw and ran an 18 and a 20 miler. very time consuming. per CFE vastly less time, but increased intensity will do the same thing.

I am pretty sure I buy it but I am not sure I buy-in completely to how low the time/mileage CFE recommends. I know a guy who has made a similar transition but not as extreme. He has run a sub-3 hour marathon on fewer than 40 mpw, which is awfully low compared to what I have read sub-3 runners usually do for training.

good luck.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Scott Borre

Profile:

Eric, last year I read a post of somebody who primarily did CF WODs, and didn't do any long distance running (no more than 10k from what I recall). The person (or persons) then went and ran a marathon. The time was ... okay for a first time marathoner. I believe they were very sore the next day (one reason to throw in endurance activities here and there is for recovery, this is something that Mark Twight realized and has adapted to his endurance training).