CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Nate Stepp

Profile:
Overhead press vs Handstand Push up

So... I know I've posted here before, and I have been STRICT to this program (even with the NEW BABY HERE!! I'm a proud dad.. can you tell?!?!) Anyway, I just wanted an opinion on the OverHead Press. Why can I do 10 handstand pushups, but only pull off 100 lb overhead presses!! I mean, come on....

Comments welcome... or just complain with me.

nate: 27/m/150lbs
Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Overhead press vs Handstand Push up

Technique.

I can bust a couple of HSPU as well ( 11 for example in the last WO that asked for max HSPU after 3 rep Max of DL) and even some single free HSPU, but can only shoulder press around 135-140# @ 160-165 BW. I'd love to get this number to BW but I guess it will take quite a lot of time.

Also, something that came to my mind while writing this, perhaps you're not doing your HSPU the good way. Are you letting your elbows go to the side while going down? If yes, you shouldn't, they should stay aligned and go forward instead of to the sides, this will mimic in a way the shoulder press movement/technique and will help a lot in developping your shoulder press via HSPU.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
James Reynolds

Profile:

I think ROM has a pretty big role here. Unless you are doing HSPU on parallets and going as deep as the catch position you would start your press from, you're pusing the weight in a press a lot further than from above your head to full extension.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
Chris Walls

Profile:

Also, if you kip your HSPU it would be more like comparing it to a push press... can you push press BW?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

This fairly comprehensive thread asks the same question wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24688

Search is your friend.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Reynolds View Post
I think ROM has a pretty big role here. Unless you are doing HSPU on parallets and going as deep as the catch position you would start your press from, you're pusing the weight in a press a lot further than from above your head to full extension.
This is what always comes to my mind when this question is raised. Most people do HSPU on the floor. This lacks significant ROM and strength development.

I would add technique and familiarity are a part of the equation too. Despite being similar movements that use similar muscles, they are not identical . If you spend all your time doing one or the other, you will become better at the one you focus on. Practice makes perfect.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Here is some interesting numbers. It also shows how weak I've become in the last 6 months.

Tried a parallette HSPU against the wall last week or 2 weeks ago. Could do the negative and roll out to the side. Back to wall, stomach to wall; no difference.

Tried one yesterday at the gym. Differences being it was afternoon versus late night. Was able to do a grand total of 1 either way in sets. Peh. Annoyed me so I worked on pushups after one set. I thought about doing the HSPU in a pike on block but wanted to keep my pace up ( tried these 2 weeks ago after failing on the wall and result was the same ). So I managed to pump out about 5 headstand to handstand. Don't worry, hands were handstand distance appropriate.

So my ratio is 5:1. Haven't pressed in awhile. Last fall I was doing 150+ and about 7 HSPU on parallettes against the wall with maybe 1 or 2 free standing.

I'm thinking now I could still probably press 120 to 140 so that is 70-80% BW OH press.

I'd guess I could still CFT 600 something, where as I was 700+ in fall.

Never could really do more than 1 or 2 HPSU on parallettes or floor due to balance issues ( mastery of handstand ). With a balance spot, I was doing 7-10 let's say a year ago. Probably could do teens against a wall, fresh.

10 HSPU against a wall while pressing 2/3rds BW sounds if form has hands wide and is quite arched.

Stephen, I thought about posting this data to that thread but it's dead and better to leave it that way.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

A full range HSPU, press technique aside, is equivalent ~80-85% of your bodyweight press. This is because you have to subtract the weight of the arms during the HSPU. I've found this ratio holds true not only for myself but for other people as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nice point Brian. No idea how much my arms weigh themselves. Could they weigh 30 pounds ( for myself )? Interesting.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:27 AM   #10
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

You have to subtract pretty much the entire arm, since they are the prime movers in the HSPU. The body is the only object that moves in space during the pushup.