CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Keith Olson

Profile:
Elbow

I've recently returned from a short tour in Iraq where we did A TON of push ups. Like several sets of 50 spread through out the day, 5 days a week for several weeks. I've been home now for about three weeks and have noticed a steadly increasing pain in my left elbow right around the point where the forearm muscle attaches to the elbow, as seen on the inside when my palm is up (sorry don't know the correct physiology terms). The pain became apparent right after the Push Jerk WOD last week. I'm relatively new to Oly lifts, so I can't promise my form was ideal.

Does this sound something like tendonitis caused by all those push ups, or could I have hyperextended my elbow doing the push jerks? The timing makes it seem more like it's the push jerks, but is a hyperextension common?

Next question, of course is should I rehab it myself (and how), just rest it out, or go visit the Dr?

thanks,
Keith
Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Elbow

Can you get a picture with the area circled in like red or highlighted (just take one from google images or something).

Sounds like some sort of tendonitis though.

Rest, massage, ice after exercise, don't do anything to aggravate it... anti inflams, etc. are usually prescribed.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Keith Olson

Profile:

http://www.golfers-elbow.com/images/...condylitis.jpg
I can't take a picture right now, but this image from Google seems to show it best. The pain is mostly right on the medial epicondyle (the bony bump) and within a couple inches down the arm, but very local. Not any more than the pink part in the picture and certainly not the whole white part. This image is from a site that talks about golfer's elbow, which seems to be the most fitting ailment. I bet the push jerks just aggrevated it even more.

I guess I'll be concentrating on legs for a while, huh? Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Possibly bursitis - since you say it is so localized and close to the bone.

I am working through some rehab (self-prescribed) that includes using bands I ordered from ironmind. They seem to be helping - along with some stretches, ice, ice, ibuprofen, ice and ice. Oh, and don't forget - ice.

I have had some success with Graston Technique (google it) performed by my chiro.

My pain is in the same spot as you indicate and on the bony part on the other side.

Dig through the injury topic and you'll find tons of ideas for elbow problems.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Bill Scott

Profile:

I'll second the Graston Technique advice. I had the same symptoms as you cured in about six treatments.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Brad Davis

Profile:

Hope it's not golfer's elbow. That junk takes FOREVER to heal. I gave myself a case (didn't even hurt much) back in July and it's STILL not better! I don't even remember how to do a pullup.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Stretch it out and see if that helps as well along with the other above advice.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
James Hiers

Profile:

I hear you Brad. I haven't been able to do any pull ups since last summer; hell, any kind of curling motion is painful. I felt pretty silly doing jumping pull ups at the certification in January.

I suppose it is "golfer's elbow" but nothing seems to be helping (the pain seems centered at the inside of the joint, just below the biceps). I am ready to try acupuncture (per Rob at Santa Cruz). Funny thing is push ups and dips don't seem to bother it. I wonder how much it might have to do with old injuries -- I have broken the wrist, forearm, elbow and shoulder (at different times; says something about my lifestyle) of the arm.

I have read through most all the posts pertaining to this problem, and the outlook seems grim the longer it persists...

All the best,