CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Austin Slater

Profile:
strength and metcon on the same day?

Just curious if this has been attempted by those who are after strength and metcon gains at the same time. Has anyone tried a schedule that does strength work in the am and then a metcon workout in the evening? Could even do an every other day schedule to give a complete day of rest. What are everyones thoughts on this type of template? Something like SS in the am and traditional metcons in the afternoon. After some thought I thought maybe 2 strength sessions a week might be a better approach. Something along these lines
monday-stregnth am, metcon pm
wednesday metcon workout only
friday strength am, metcon pm

Im just rambling now but curious what others think about this topic. Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:
Re: strength and metcon on the same day?

Yeah, that would work. Coach has us do stuff like that all the time (Crossfit total one day, Run 5k the next). The nice part about crossfit is a lot of the WOD's build strength AND metcon at the same time.

As far as doing 2 a day, you want to make sure you don't burn your body out. I could only maintain that for a short time.

I guess it all depends on your goals. Are you trying to improve your cardio? shed pounds?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

What exactly are your goals?

Yes, it can be done. Generally, you need an above average level of conditioning though.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Paul Crush

Profile:

I was wondering kind of the same thing about working out three days a week. I can only workout 3 days a week due to two jobs and school but I can make time M,W,F.

Can anyone recommend some kind of template of how to set up a mix of ME and metcon for only having time for 3 days a week?

My goals are to improve both my metcon and strength both are lacking equally

I was thinking something like

monday
ME total body 1 exercise(powercleans, squat cleans, etc) 7x1, 5x5, or whatever reps
metcon

wednesday
ME upperbody 1 exercise (Shoulder press, weighted pull ups, etc.)
metcon

Friday lowerbody 1 exercise (back squat, front squat)
metcon

Is this too much? Any Suggestions?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Tom Brose

Profile:

One of the things that makes CrossFit so workable a conditioning program for athletes is that it can be done in conjunction with other athletic pursuits. You must decide priorities, and design the mix to suit that.

Greg Everett has done a great job with programming for Crossfitters that want to focus on developing their Olympic lifting, while maintaining a base of met-con. He posts a WOD on www.performancemenu.com (w/f safe), and has written in depth on the subject. Check out his "Weightlifting for CrossFit" article.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Austin Slater

Profile:

Thanks for everyones thoughts. Definitely some good advice here. I got to thinking today about what kind of metcon workouts might work best without interfering with strength gains on a program similar to starting strength. What about a 100 burpee challenge 2xwk? Shouldnt interfere with the focus lifts and is over in 10 min. which shouldnt impede recovery for your strength workouts. Im guessing even 1xwk after a friday workout on a mon,wed,fri strength routine would probably keep a decent metcon base or in my case probably build my metcon since mine is so horrible. Am I way off base here?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

One after Fri is decent. I don't think you wanna do another one while doing SS unless your conditioning base is good which you said yours isn't.

Basically with SS you don't want to mess with the programming at all since it's great as a stand alone program.

100 burpees will mess with your legs and arms... won't see how that won't interfere.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Tom Brose

Profile:

OK, so you can get in at least 3 days, up to six workouts a week.

You don't seem to have any extremely specific strength goals (O lift, SS etc).

Your met-con is poor, and you want to improve it.

I have a groundbreaking idea. Do the CrossFit WOD. Scale as needed, but get on the program. It is a broad and inclusive program that will build strength and conditioning, at the cost of specializing in either. Record and post your times.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I do at least 5 days a week of oly practice + WOD each time. Don't like 2-a-days due to timing issues.

Takes a bit of time to get used to.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:

CrossFit is a Strength AND Conditioning program. Today is January 28th, 2008. So far this month there have been 21 workouts posted.

6 have been pure strength workouts, calling for 1 rep, 3 rep or 5 rep maxes.

4 have been heavy metcons (Elizabeth, Diane, Nasty Girls, and Lynne)

(It could be argued that 30 muscle ups for time and the HSPU and L-Pull ups are also strength work, but that would be for another thread.)

So of the 21 posted, 10 have a heavy strength component. So before you start adding to the program, look at the numbers. Half the work being done is heavy work. If your strength and metabolic capacities are lacking the best approach is to follow the program. If you think you are going to get there faster by creating your own program your wrong.

When you can do a 3:00 Fran, a 4:00 Diane, a 5:00 min Elizabeth, pump out 50 bodyweight bench press and 150 pull ups in Lynne, you will be strong and conditioned. There are no short cuts. At that point if you want to add strength you might consider it.