CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #531
Erin Davidson

Profile:
Re: The Erin Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
oohh I want to see the charred remains lol
Ha. There have been some very messy fish episodes...and some very strange things done with broccoli...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liana Mark View Post
Really helpful, creative meal ideas! Thanks, Erin
Thanks for stopping by, Liana.

Oh yeah, and for the lovely Ms. Pierce - here's some more ideas from a great site.

----------------------------------------------

MONDAY, August 4, 2008

Day 1 of food posting! Oh boy, oh boy.

8hrs. sleep.
9:45am: cup of coffee.
1:45p: small iced coffee from dunkin. (fasting till WOD, and had a meeting = need of coffee)

2:30p:

Dynamic Warmup + 15 minutes of foam rolling (t-spine, glutes, and it band tight)

Warmup with 45.

OH Squat (to 4 blocks, and for form, I've not done these since reworking my squat): 45x10, 65x3, 75x3, 85x3, 95x1

Pretty shaky. Active shoulders are EVERYTHING. Got a little freaked out doing this without bumpers.

Anderson Front Squats (from 4 blocks - from the rack - not the power cage): 135x1, 135x1, 135x1

Slow reps, meant to do more - but I get the idea my body doesn't want to. Some guy asked if I needed help. He had a crowbar mustache. Wow.

Few kips for height, varying grips. Some deadhangs/EQIs.

Chins easily get chest high - higher than last week - weighted pullups are definitely helping. Gotta work pronated grip more. When I get a straight bar...bar muscle ups?

Metcon:

2 rounds of: Row 1000m + 11 Burpees

First 1000m: 5:27
Second 1000m: 5:06

Totals 22 Burpees for the Challenge...Damper at 6, and geez...longest I've rowed. My form is still screwy and I'm still playing around with fixing it...but I'm glad I could keep up a halfway decent pace (for me, people, for me!) 2000m row benchmark is 9:50 for Level 1, 8:50 for Level 2. Timing that's next.

4:30p: 6 oz. poached cod and some tofu - weird, I know. My mom's soup. Gotta get food shopping tomorrow.
7:30p: Vivanno - Banana, Whole milk, Whey Protein, no mocha. Well, I had a coupon and I will regret the dairy later. Booooo...
9:30p: Himalayan Green Tea - sooo fresh.
10:30p: piece of my mom's haemur pachang - korean "pancake" made with sesame leaves she's growing in her garden.

So maybe you can see why I'm back to keeping a food log. Completely out of whack. Weighing in at 148lbs. On that note, some thoughts on "fat loss" from Dan John:

"Fat loss is not a long-term process. Sorry, I used to believe that one cut fat by long involved brilliant calorie cutting and cardio, but the evidence from the Velocity Diet can’t be ignored. Fat Loss demands total focus. It can’t be done in conjunction with your county basketball tournament and a Strongman contest. You have to be single focused. And, please, don’t email me that the Velocity Diet is hard. I know that. My single clearest memory is calling my brother and asking him how to survive one more night. He told me to quit the diet the next day, but tonight I would hang in there. I went to bed thinking of roast chicken, but I woke up the next day and was back on track.

Fat loss is a war. There are no little steps. Oh sure, I support a group here on campus that does “baby steps” towards their goals. I appreciate the idea. I appreciate the small life changes they are making. But, if you want fat loss you must take the scorched earth philosophy. When you take the baby step from Twinkies to Low Carb Bagels, your body still acts “fat.” Give fat loss its 28 Days. Then move on to the rest of your goals."

-Dan John (Man, I wish this guy was my next door neighbor...)

Hmm...
Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 AM   #532
Veronica Davis

Profile:

First day with Vibrams. Did a light run. TOTALLY felt it in the posterior chain. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #533
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

The haemur pachang sounds great! Will you post a recipe? Also, how long are you going to post your diet? I love this stuff!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #534
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Wow, you are a squatting fiend! Craziness.

[quote=Erin Davidson;366679]Ha. There have been some very messy fish episodes...and some very strange things done with broccoli...
quote]

That comment just begs for some pictures.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #535
Vanessa Sisson

Profile:

Love that quote too. Dieting to lose body fat does seem like a war. And really, the only time I have really lost weight has been when I treated it as such.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #536
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
First day with Vibrams. Did a light run. TOTALLY felt it in the posterior chain. Thanks for the recommendation.
SERIOUSLY know what you mean. I'm timing my 400 in these things during the next thunderstorm (should be due for one pret-ty soon). My a$$ was sore for a week after I sprinted 2 miles with a friend in them...that was a LONG time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Tremblay View Post
The haemur pachang sounds great! Will you post a recipe? Also, how long are you going to post your diet? I love this stuff!!!
I'll think about it, but as of yet, that recipe's not too zone/paleo friendly...tho it's still one of my fav Korean things... It's basically "grains" (it's a blend of different roots and herbs that my cousins sometimes drink like protein drinks - but it's basically vitamin/mineral dense, not too sure about the amino acid profile tho it does have kelp in it) or flour, water, salt, and a mixture of lightly sauteed sesame leaves, onions, and hot peppers. What surprised me about what my mom made is that I actually liked the sesame leaves. They're usually very bitter... but they tasted great in this...which is nice, because I like eating pretty things. This is a little demonstration. It's fried goodness - not too ideal.

And I'm glad you're loving this stuff! I'll post my diet at least until I leave for Washington (August 29). It's a good exercise in mindfulness. I hope to get out to a Seattle's Crossfit while I'm out there for my cousin's wedding. I'll take lots of pictures when I'm there because I REALLY want you all to see my Imo's (aunt's) garden. All my family memories are of getting food: picking cosadi in the forest (YEP), making kimchi in vats, clam digging and crabbing. I can't wait.

[QUOTE=Melissa Whittle;367304]Wow, you are a squatting fiend! Craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
Ha. There have been some very messy fish episodes...and some very strange things done with broccoli...
quote]

That comment just begs for some pictures.
Ha. SOME day. I think the oddball things I eat are even cooler...like the time I was obsessed with Kelly Moore's green drink. It's REALLY green and I used to COMPLETELY freak out my co-workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Pierce View Post
Love that quote too. Dieting to lose body fat does seem like a war. And really, the only time I have really lost weight has been when I treated it as such.
Yeah, I hear ya...but that's what I think is strange about my last zone experience. I get kinda wacky when I think of food in that way (I think Christin Street has some thoughts on this as well). I think there's being at war with your body and then being at war with your stupid habits (I'd be in the latter camp - I'm self control-less - and I give up easily). I do a lot better when I pay attention to what my body is telling me and prepare myself for the cravings/swings: it gets tired on dairy and doesn't appreciate my rocking the tender teeter totter with big portions or fructose-laden meals. It likes the feeling of being hungry as long as it doesn't have to do anything too demanding...like lift. It recovers well on fish oil and ZMA and it craves red meat at least once a week. Minimal amounts of electrolytes keep me from being dizzy. If I lift while hungry my body definitely likes to burn fat but then needs LOTS and LOTS of sleep and at least one substantial protein source thereafter. I need to cycle EVERYTHING. Learning to think lean and pay more attention to what's driving my eating habits is what I need more of. The simple fact is I feel better, think better, and move better whenever I cut back from 150lbs. to 142 (which honestly takes me a few days - carb weight). Feeling at war with my body? Meh...it kind of makes me resentful, I think. I've never cut under 142 and I guess I'd like to...but I haven't acted on my wants after those few days yet. So we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Erin Davidson; 08-05-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #537
Erin Davidson

Profile:

TUESDAY, August 5, 2008

5 hrs = not enough sleep
7:30a: 8 oz. coffee
10a: After carrying lots and lots of crap...2 sausages (maybe 25ish g of protein here - brought from home but I hadn't gone food shopping yet) and a roll with butter at work (ok, rolls with butter are my nemesis while waitressing...they're EVERYWHERE...and they taste good. Ahem. So no more rolls with butter).
10:30a: Feeling kinda sick.
11a-3:30p: Madness + lots of water
4:30p: Synergy Kombucha Tea + lots of walking

6:30p: 23 Burpees makes me good for the Challenge. Here's the vid.

8:00p: THE BEST MASSAGE OF MY LIFE. An HOUR for $40!!!!! Clearly he's insane...I went to this "China Man" (Chen) my friend has been recommending to me FOREVER and seriously...I've had a few massages elsewhere (resorts, cruises, phys therapy, malls, friends, spas, etc.) but NOTHING was like this. It was kind of a mixture of everything...which is honestly, what I feel like any smart person does when presented with a variety of options: you pick and choose what's best and blend them instead of becoming an absolutist. There was a WHOLE lot of very, very audible cracking around my midback, shoulders, and neck. I was stiff in areas I did not know about - my hands!!! He did some pressure point stuff that hurt like hell but feels incredible now. My favorite part was the pulling he did around my scapula. He literally just shifted them in every direction they'd go. GAH! So basically...I want to go to this guy at least once a month. Maybe twice. Afterwards he looked at me, gripped my bicep and said, "You needa massage." I believe him!

9:30p: A few blueberries at whole foods and finally getting some real food!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #538
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
AWESOME with the vibrams, V. Justin, from Crossfit Tribe tried his out today for the first time. WOOOHOOO...
That's me. I friggin' love them. They just feel right. It's like being barefoot, but with more confidence. There's no fear of stabbing your foot open on a rock or glass.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #539
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
8:00p: THE BEST MASSAGE OF MY LIFE. An HOUR for $40!!!!!
Where?!?!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #540
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa Pierce View Post
What do eat for breakfast when strictly paleo?
My breakfast is almost always coffee with last night's dinner made into an omelet. Everything is good in eggs.