CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
For those of you who don't know my 'sport' is Shootfighting (which is a lot like No Holds Barred fighting). The Amateur matches are 15 minutes continuous (no rounds) of kickboxing and grappling (all submission holds legal) with no striking on the ground. The pros have different rules (like 30 minutes continuous, and ground striking legal), but I am not quite ready to do that yet.

I have an opportunity to go to my next Amateur match at the end of January and here is my dilema:

I believe I am in the best shape of my life due to 4 months of CF, in fact, I have gained almost 15 lbs because of it. Now I am in a higher weight class. . . 200 and up. I weigh about 208 - 210 with about 8 - 10% bf right now. Should I try and drop my weight back down to the 165 - 199 category or should I just try and gain as much weight as possible before the fights (in 7 weeks)?

What would be your recomendations of exercises to do on top of the WODs so that I could gain/loose the weight?

I am not going compete for sure. . . The fights are in the Miami area (I am in California), and I would be paying for all the expenses. So money is more of an issue right now, but if things do work out I want to be ready to fight.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Jeremy, I am sure that if you drop carbs and dry out a little before the comp you can make 199 with no sweat. It will only take a couple hours of gatorade and juice to get back to normal after weigh ins. However, sometimes 199 is a tougher weight than HW, depends on who shows up.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeremy, good luck in the prep and in the fight. . .win one for the message board! I have some experience training fighters and would recommend you try to lower bodyfat to about 7% prior to the fight. I would do this with diet, the WOD, and your specific fight prep training (no extra cardio); also, if your taking creatine, you may want to drop it. It's tough being a 200 pounder in the heavyweight class, just having the big boys lean on you could be draining. I'd rather be the biggest guy in my weight class. If you need to you could dry out a little, but I don't like to screw with electrolyte balance just prior to a fight. If your going to do this I would do a dry run at least one week prior to the weigh-in to see how you react and how long it takes you to recover. Remember to taper one week out from the fight. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:38 AM   #4
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Jeremy-Since your sport involves lots of grappling, wouldn't being at the bottom of your weight class (200+) put you at a disadvantage?

However, if you did try to drop down one weight division, you would have to lose almost 10 pounds in 7 weeks, correct?With a bodyfat as low as yours, that might be a bit difficult, but that is probably what I would do if I was in your situation.I would rather be at the top of my weight class, especially if it involved grappling.

I would pick a few exercises and try to keep them as sport-specific as possible.Your time limit is 15 minutes of quick bursts of kickboxing and grappling, so I would do something like this:
Set a timer for 15 minutes and using the Tabata method of 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, I would alternate between intervals of kicking and punching a heavy bag with intervals of sandbag lifting, loading, throwing, or carrying.For example, the first 20 second work interval you work kick/punch combinations against the heavy bag, use your 10 second rest interval to walk over to your sandbag and for the next 20 seconds, lift it from the floor to shoulder, switching sides every other rep.Try to keep this going at the fastest rate possible for the entire 15 minutes.

Something like this could be effective because you are including skill work (heavy bag) with strength training (sandbag lifting), and because you are combining both, you are teaching yourself to push through fatigue while trying to keep your skills sharp.Also, maybe do this routine first thing in the morning before you eat.It might help with fat loss.

Good luck with your match.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Thanks for the comments.

The consensus seems to be to try and drop the weight. I would like to drop it, but I have been trying to gain weight for so long it seems strange to try and drop some.

Should I try and see how much I can loose for the next couple of weeks (healthly of course)? I wish I had a better scale at my disposal. At my last match I thought I was well below the limit (191) and I ended up being right on the line!
Old 12-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeremy, Sounds like a plan. Do not add extra "cardio" (risk of overtraining) but you could take nightly recovery walks to boost your EPOC. You may want to go with leaner protein choices (chicken, fish, no fat cottage cheese, etc.) rather than beef, etc. Up your fat intake in the form of fish oil (3g fat per block rather than 1.5). Don't cut carbs, you need them for all the exercise your doing, but make sure they are from vegs and fruits. Drink well over a gallon of water a day. If you had more time we might play with water balance prior to the weigh in but I'd be worried about doing anything new right now. Three weeks out from the fight I would cut the WOD volume in half with a corrospondent increase in your sparring and grappling. I would work rounds with three partners, each round a new partner works in with you, so you are always fighting a fresh partner. Taper a week out from the fight. Good luck, let us know the results.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Yeah, I have been trying to eat more fruits and veggies instead of breads, I will let you all know if it makes difference.

I just got some fish oil capsules from Costco, should I follow the reccomended one a day, or should I take more (if so how much)?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:30 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
1.5 grams = 1 block of fat, so three fish oil pills = 2 blocks. You want batween 8 - 10 GRAMS of EPA / DHA a day spread out through the whole day. If your eating 4 times a day that's two pills each meal.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #9
Rene Renteria

Profile:
I saw this thread and thought about mercury getting concentrated in capsules. A quick Google search brought up this short article that may be of interest:

http://hdlighthouse.org/treatment-care/care/hdltriad/diet/updates/0057harvardfis hoil.php

It has this quote, which what I was looking for:
[C]hemically, mercury can’t mix with fat, so fish oil capsules are mercury-free.

OK, then.

It goes on to discuss the benefits of getting your fish oils from fish instead of from capsules, the risks of mercury exposure, shows a table comparing different capsule brands, and ends with a sentence saying that lab testing of capsules has revealed fewer omega-3s in capsules than advertised but that capsules are a good source of EPA and DHA.

Good luck with getting to that 199!
Rene'
Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Great article thanks,

I was just talking to someone about the mercury content of fish.

I will be taking my 'Kirkland' brand fish capsules twice a day with meals.

I have also replaced a lot of my 'bread and pastas' with Yams, is this on the right track?