CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
William John

Profile:
food cravings and bathroom trips.

Hi everyone, after I train hard and clean all day I will start to crave certain foods at the end of the day during and after dinner. Usually during dinner I will crave milk, meat, and bread, I am mainly only concerned about eating bread. How bad is bread? I tried to limit it to to slices is that to much and should I try to cut it out of my diet?

After dinner is what I am most concerned about. Right after I eat I crave something sweet. My usually after dinner cravings are cookies, chocolate, ice cream, or some sort of candy. I try to limit my cravings as well, I will eat two homemade cookies or have a small bowl of ice cream. Another thing I started was eating a couple pieces of dark chocolate. I tried to completely stop by eating fruits but that did not work. Does anyone else have these cravings and if so how do you stop them or handle them?

My other problem is when my first week or two of training hard I constantly have to go to the bathroom. Is that just my body natural way of clean my system out, that what I figured, but I am unsure.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Chris Madison

Profile:
Re: food cravings and bathroom trips.

Hello, I had many of the cravings that you mention, but more often. All day to be exact. Since starting CrossFit. I'd eat a nice big breakfast, but then I'd be craving candy (Reese's, Snickers, etc) or peanut butter (the natural kind). I could eat all day.

I started the Zone diet about three weeks ago. For the most part the cravings have gone away. I still like my peanut butter, so I include that in my fat blocks. The main difference is that I don't really crave snacks in between meals. I'm satisfied up until about an hour away from the next meal before my stomach starts talking to me.

I must admit that I have craved cookies after my wife bakes them for the kids. Or I do think about eating the three pieces of key lime pie in the fridge. The main difference is before I'd eat them, now I can resist...and it isn't a craving. I slipped once and took a bite out of a big cookie my wife just baked.....and spit it out because it tasted like a big blob of trans fat.

So for me, the Zone diet has worked wonders on what I eat and has reduced my cravings dramatically.

As for running using the bathroom....I sit in front of a computer and drink tea (hot, not sweat) and water all day. I must use the bathroom all the time
Old 12-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Well, as far as cravings go, they're mainly psychological. Wait 'em out and they'll pass. With time they get to be fewer and fewer and eventually, a lot of people talk about how they begin to lose a taste for "junk" food.

Depending on what diet/meal/life plan you're on, bread's fine. If you're a Zoner, then as long as everything is proportioned right you're good. Even though they recommend that bread and grain only account for one carb block per meal. If you're paleo or other low carb then it's the devil. Eat accordingly.

As for your bathroom trips. Well, I can't help you there.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
William John

Profile:

I don't follow any famous diet plan, I got my diet out of a old boxing book. What it typically is a heavy protein meal such as eggs or sausage w/ fruit in the morning. Something light in the after noon but follow of vitamins and nutrients, such as, protein shake w/ a yogurt or some fruit, some sort of soup, sandwich, or a salad. Then I have a hearty dinner, but I have little control over this, my parents cooks so what ever they feel like. Usually it is some sort of pasta w/ a meat sauce or some sort of meat w/ veggies.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:

There is a serious possibility that the frequency of bathroom trips is simply due to an increase in water intake. Crossfit takes a lot out of you, and the extra water has to somewhere.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Your diet looks very very sketchy. I'd forget about Zone, or Paleo for the moment, and just concentrate on eating 4-6 as fresh and natural as possible meals a day(based around meat, fish, Vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit, eggs). Perhaps add more carbs(wholemeal/organic though) to fill you up. But make it varied and intersting to taste, very important.

Also, set aside one cheat meal a week where you can have chocolate or whatever you want(beware of the crash it might give you though!), so that you don't go insane. If your new diet plan doesn't fill you up, just eat bigger portions and remember to have balanced meals with protein, carbs and fats.

It's true, eventually you will lose a taste for crap food, and you won't want to look back.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Pat McElhone

Profile:

I believe a lot of cravings are actually my body's way of telling me I need that nutrient. My body knows which foods are the source of nutrients it needs. I am low on glycogen...sweets, low on amino acids...steaks, overall I ate too few calories on the day....cheese. I am a firm believe that if you eat well 90% of the time, you will be lean.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Keep drinking plenty of water. Your kidneys need to flush out from breaking down proteins from food, and muscle processing. These processes need healthy kidneys. Also, this will flush out anything from "cheat foods" that need to be released from your system. It's well worth the bathroom trips. I drink a gallon per day.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Will, the bathroom trips are unavoidable once you start drinking alot of water. I drink at least 2 gallons a day...the bathroom is my second home
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Joe/Lenora;

You might want to reconsider the "drink a ton of water a day theory." I'll paste in a reply from Dr. G that includes the link to the complete thread for you review. I'm sure Dr. G wouldn't mind.

Re: Drink lots of water!
There is a classic "hydration" thread that you may want to look up on the board.

I must say, I'm not a big fan of the urine "color" analysis. Until one is getting most of their hydration from herbal teas, this can be a hard explanation.

As in, note that when drinking alcohol and slowly inducing a dehydrated state, one's urine is typically very light yellow or almost uncolored. This is the same as when people glug plain water all day, peeing every 30 minutes.

For my recommendations on hydration, make sure to see the thread I mentioned above. I'm a big fan of herbal teas, not a big fan of plain water.

As for the original poster, it might be beneficial if you mention whether or not you were drinking plain water (or whatever you were drinking) during the heavy training time pre-hospital visit. If you were, the issue was likely dehydration, however, it was more likely due to an inability to absorb the water caused by:
1) lack of minerals in the fluids taken
2) depletion of minerals/electrolytes in the system due to taking plain water

Note that even an IV bag has minerals (ie. sodium chloride, aka table salt) added. I get minerals into my drinking water by making it into tea. Gut physiology dictates that fluids are best taken up when they contain minerals (see hydration thread for link to scientific textbook that explains this).

OK, I found the original thread: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/19445.html

Don't knock it until you've tried it. For those who say, "everyone" says to drink plain water, just remember that "everyone" is also into hamster-wheel cardio and exercise machines too!