CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
John Anthony

Profile:
Interesting Experiment

A new show on FSN, Sports Science, did an experiment to see if screaming really helped physical performance in sports. According to the study they conducted, they found that screaming could increase work capacity up to 25%. So in theory by this experiment you could turn a 400lb lift into a 500 lb lift just by adding a good scream.

They claim the benefits of screaming are three fold:
1. It releases adrenaline to the body
2. It tightens the muscles in the body especially in the abdomen
3. There is an added psychological benefit

So the next time someone in a gym tells you you're too loud you can defend your noise making. I tried to find something on the Sports Science website, but they don't have very much information on it. http://msn.foxsports.com/sportscience (wfs)

Just thought it was pretty interesting.

John
Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Interesting Experiment

Well, work capacity isn't strength... so you can't do a 400 lbs DL into a 500 lbs one. That would be sick though if you could.

Stomping or any other aggressive actions is definitely another one to consider. I'm sure you've seen Nicole or any of the other CFers in the vids doing them before heavy lifts and oly lifts.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:

So that's why I missed my 2x bodyweight deadlift.

Seriously, though, it makes some sense that psyching yourself up would help defeat the feedback loop whereby your brain tells your body to shut down when you're trying to lift a lot.

If I'm screaming, though, wouldn't that cause me to lose air really fast? Hate to run out of air in the middle of a heavy deadlift.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

It's not necessarily screaming as in a higher pitched grunt. What it does is increase intra-abdominal pressure which therefore provides more overall tension in the body.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Rip talks about it often in SS. A closed glottis helps apply more pressure to the abdominal and thoracic muscles. Research: Valsalva maneuver.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Randall Strossen has a good book "Iron Mind, Iron Bodies" on sports psychology. In a nutshell, a high state of arousal (e.g. screaming) works well for lower-skill endeavors like powerlifting. It does not work as well for more technical lifting like Olympic lifting. Note that powerlifting meets are loud and boisterous while Olympic lifting meets are closer in volume to golf matches. In football you'll see the "skill" positions like the quarteback in a more subdued mood than say, the defensive linemen. This is not because quarterbacks and Olympic weightlifters are lazy sleepwalking idiots - a high state of arousal is not conducive to success for their given activities.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Randall Strossen has a good book "Iron Mind, Iron Bodies" on sports psychology. In a nutshell, a high state of arousal (e.g. screaming) works well for lower-skill endeavors like powerlifting. It does not work as well for more technical lifting like Olympic lifting. Note that powerlifting meets are loud and boisterous while Olympic lifting meets are closer in volume to golf matches. In football you'll see the "skill" positions like the quarteback in a more subdued mood than say, the defensive linemen. This is not because quarterbacks and Olympic weightlifters are lazy sleepwalking idiots - a high state of arousal is not conducive to success for their given activities.
that makes a lot of sense...good stuff, lincoln!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Alex Europa

Profile:
Lightbulb Re: Interesting Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
I've never thought about it like this, but it's a GREAT point. Here here!
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
Brian De Mio

Profile:

I thought it was kind of interesting on the video when they had Annie stamping to help her concentrate. The other night I was watching outtakes from Resident Evil: Apocolypse (of all things) and the girl Milla would have bursts of screaming while she was doing the fight scenes to help her focus. I understand this is a pretty common practice for concentration during high intensity activity.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

I scream when I read. It helps me to concentrate. I cannot go to the public library anymore.

Just kidding, interesting thread.