CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
William Hunter

Profile:
Hey, about 15 minutes ago I was in my car listening to ESPN radio and the host, Colin Cowherd, mentioned that the ESPN higher-ups were having a meeting about starting to cover MMA/UFC. Nothing for sure, but they're acknowledging that it's growing by leaps and bounds, totally eclipses sports like NHL, Boxing, WNBA etc. They know they're losing out on $ by not covering.

We'll see what they decide.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Fox Sports airs a lot of MMA these days -- they rerun a bunch of Pride fights. The Versus channel is going to be airing the WEC, now that it's owned by Zuffa/UFC. Spike, of course, runs all sorts of UFC material. Wouldn't surprise me is ESPN decided not to fall behind. I remember a couple years ago they actually covered one of the weigh-ins live -- I don't remember which one, just that it was one of Randy Couture's fights.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Anyone hear about Randy fighting Silvia in March?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Pandora’s box is opened now….sweet!
It’s just like Christmas.:banana:

Let’s not forget Pros vs. Joes on Jan 25th featuring Couture on Spike TV. That should prove to be interesting and amusing. :happy:

Yeah Becca, I watch the other channels when I get a chance as well. ESPN is already showing K1 fighting on weekends but a lot of it is vintage footage. I guess they felt that it is time for an upgrade.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
Beau, I thought I heard that Randy wants to fight Silvia on March 3rd. He mentioned something like that during his interview on "Inside the UFC" last Thursday.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Beau Bryant

Profile:
I believe I just listened to the sound bite released yesterday that it will happen March 3rd. Don't quote me, check UFC.COM to confirm.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
I'm not sure that ESPN will be showing current fights, I think they were talking about having highlights on Sportscenter.

ESPN is the 800 pound gorilla of sports coverage, and UFC's exposure will go off the charts when ESPN jumps on board with their snazzy highlights and glib commentary. For the die hard fans this may be a let down, but I imagine there will be a lot more money flowing, hopefully into the fighters pockets (at least some).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
I did see an interview with Liddel and Ortiz on ESPN's "Frankly Speaking" (I think) before their fight. I was surprised
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Randy Couture is scheduled to fight Tim Sylvia on March 3rd at "UFC: Uprising." He is coming out of retirement to fight in the heavyweight division and has a multi-fight deal.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Speaking for myself I'm pulling for Couture, since like me, he is also in his 40s. But then again, Tim is 6ft 8in and currently weighs around 265lbs, while Randy is 6ft 2in and is around 205. I know that size doesn't always matter but this should prove to be a very interesting match up.:g: