CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:42 AM   #11
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I perused T-mag and dragondoor for a while and I remember posting a topic about how to be strong and fit and lean all at the same time. I got tons of "it's impossible!" "you can only focus on one goal at a time!". And finally one guy said I might enjoy crossfit and linked me to the site.

Before crossfit I was so frustrated changing routines because I always felt I was leaving out some fitness element. This place was perfect for me.

I'm anxious to see the results in a year's time and look back at my times when I first got here.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:24 AM   #12
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I either saw CrossFit mentioned on the Dragondoor forum or had it recommended to me by a friend.

I had already been doing a lot of Kettlebells and running circuits on my own, so when I did Helen I got a decent time and said to myself 'Huh. This is cool, but it isn't so hard.' Then I did Elizabeth. I even did parallel dips, and it still wiped me out. The heavy, high-rep workouts are my favorite thing about CrossFit. Lots of programs feature circuits of running and calisthenics (although few of them are as randomized as the WOD), and DD high-rep k-bell lifts, but I don't know of any other program that has you doing high repetions of 80% 1 rep max barbell lifts for time.

I'm focusing on low-rep O-lifts right now, but I'm very grateful to CF for broadening the horizons of my training program
Old 11-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #13
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I found it on Google, when I was looking for decent strength training knowledge. Something rung true about its philosopy and finally I dove in.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #14
Paul Nikhinson

Profile:  
I got to it through Claudio Franca's BJJ. When I started training at the Oakland school I couldn't believe the crazy shape that some of the guys were in. Their supreme conditioning + incredible technique ='d me getting tapped out on the reg. Had to get in line with CF's M.O. just to keep up, and have loved it ever since.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I first found the website when looking up something on exercise and I thought it looked cool but didn't hang out long. Then I found out one of my BJJ instructors is a crossfit trainer and I went back and did more learning and reading. While I wasn't really thinking I was unhappy with my workouts before, I really had to work to stay motivated with my bodybuilding plus cardio type workouts. Crossfit made a lot of theoretical sense to me and the changes in my body proved the theory accurate - at least for my body. More than that - crossfit is really fun and I have no chance to get bored with all the variety involved! Crossfit.com is now one of my online homes and HQ is a place I visit much more frequently. Good stuff.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #16
Matt McManmon

Profile:

My friend Jason Lauer told me about crossfit. Not sure how he came across it.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #17
Ron Nelson

Profile:
OK, here's how I got here. First I was looking for some plyometric routines and info for my daughters' summer training back in May. So, I Google and find Weightsnet.com, a site long abandoned by its master. It has some info and ads still active; one being DragonDoor. From there, I find Tyler Hass's Girevik Mag online (now PowerAthlete?). He has an interview with the guys from CrossFit North in Seattle. Having just been to Seattle in February (loved every rainy minute of it, especially downtown and Pike Place) I was curious as to how people up there train. Dave Werner mentioned Greg Glassman and the CrossFit site. So, I figure, why not just go to the site and see what this is all about. Afterall, I, as others have said, was looking for a new way to build fitness and keep in shape. At the time, I was addicted to spin class, going 2-3 times a week. I was also using machines to "tone" my physique. I was frustrated because no matter how hard I trained, I was not any stronger (powerful). I had tried BFL and several other routines, but all to no avail. CrossFit couldn't be any worse.
The thing about the site that had the biggest impact on me was I could not find the link to "join" the site and pay an annual subscription for the workout routines. I perused the message board for about a month; dabbled in the WOD's; watched the videos; tried the o-lifts; still could not find anything about fees. What gives? No such thing as a free lunch!!
Au contrere! It's all free. Subscribe to the CFJ if you'd like, but not required. Are they crazy?? Turns out maybe they are, but I subscribed anyway.
Now, having been a regular for 5 months and doing the WOD regularly for the same amount of time, I can see the gains. I can run a 5K (not since I was in my 20's), I can DL almost 1 1/2 times my bodyweight, I can bench press a decent weight (never benched in my life), and best of all, I'm off the machines (as I've read lift as much as you can with your own two hands standing on your own two feet).
My outlook has changed and I've tried to bring others to this site and its views. I've passed along what I learned to my students. As someone called it, it's viral in nature!!
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
//end ramble
p.s. Like Larry, I've taken 2 weeks off since starting. This is the first day back from my second break. We'll see how it goes from here.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #18
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
i was at a USAW clinic and one of the other guys there kept metioning crossfit.com. then the next day he had a crossfit shirt on which was good cause it helped me remember the name. curiousity got the better of me and i checked it out, now i do the WOD's read the journals am involved in the message board. one of the guys i work with is now doing the WOD's and a couple of the guys at the fitness facility i work at.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #19
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I saw BJ Penn wearing the logo. And saw a link on his website. I scanned the site a few times but didn't actually try it until recently. Man it hurts!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:42 PM   #20
Aaron Latzke

Profile:  
I played on a rugby team that had some guys from Cal Poly SLO. Their whole team had been doing Crossfit for the season. When the game came around I noticed in between gasps that the Cal Poly guys were always where I should have been if it weren't for me being so damn tired. That was enough proof for me.