CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
I took a break for about 2 months for what were more excuses than reasons. At that point, 2 months ago (and leading up to that point), I would get soreness in my left elbow when I was doing pullups, to the point that I started skipping days. If I hold my left arm out in front of me, palm up, the pain is located right in the crease where the elbow would bend, about 1/2 way between the mid point of my arm and the outside edge. During the break, I gave it no thought at all. It never bothered me. Today I got back into things and on the very first pullup, it was back. Am I doing something wrong in techinque? Am I just screwed when it comes to pullups? Anyone else have similar problems?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Chris Barclay

Profile:
I was just thinking the very same thing and about to do a search. I too took a short break - couple of weeks due to some surgery on my feet - and when getting back into things have noticed the exact same pain you describe. The level of pain comes and goes but I even noticed it when I went go-karting the other day. Unfortunately I also don't know what it is or how to avoid it so am in the same boat. hopfully my sympathy and similar pain helps :crutch00:
Old 09-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Chris Barclay

Profile:
dude - I think it may be tennis elbow? - not sure though but this might help.
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
Old 09-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Doesn't sound like tennis elbow to me. Tennis elbow is located on the outside of the elbow (face your palm down, arm straight in front of you, find the bony protrustion on the outside of your elbow and feel for tenderness on it or on the muscles running along the upper surface of the arm).

If I understand your description this sounds more like you've got tendonitis elsewhere. I would consult an orthopedist. Having it still there after 2 months doesn't surprise me as trigger points and tendonitis can hang around for months/years if you don't treat them. Removing the inflammation, treating the trigger points, stregthening the affected muscles -- that's the approach. But to treat, you need to know where the problem is.

ART and trigger point therapy are where I'd start after the orthopedist.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I think that is golfers elbow if I am not mistaken do a search there are lots of threads that talk about such things as icing massage using rings to let the elbow rotate more freely and pronated vs supponated grips. I am one month into a 2 month rest myself it sucks. From what I hear 2 months should be sufficient for healing you may want to get it checked by a pro. They can do cortisone injections if need be. Also nutrition as it affects inflammation may help. There is a thread in nutrition right now. Elliot, you just beat me to the post :-)

Good luck

(Message edited by kmckay on September 22, 2006)
Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
To me it sounds like tendonitis of the bicep tendon at the insertion point at the elbow. Not much you can do for it other than resting it and not doing anything to kill it. I think this one is called "golfers elbow." Don't ask me why, I've just heard it referred to as the opposite side of "tennis elbow." I've had both and the tennis elbow ended in a rupture that needed repaired. The bicep tendonitis subsided when I stopped training arms directly except for light spider/bench curls that put the bicep in a stretched position. I couldn't do pullups, power cleans, or any rowing motion. So my back work was limited to pullovers and deadlift partials. It took about four months before I had no pain.

All the best,
Arden
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
We'll have to wait for Jerimiah to chime in but I don't think it's golfer's elbow cause I've had that too. That's the other bony protrustion on the inside of the elbow.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
From the way I read his post I think it is probably tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis, but either way it sounds like inflammation/overuse. Rest and Ice are your best friends for home remedy, and I can't tell you how long to rest it other than to wait until it has not been agrivated for about 2 weeks then SLOWLY work back into activity. Gently move the muscles as much as you can with out irritating it, but in doubt rest it.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
It's too medial to be tennis elbow, and not medial enough to be golfer's elbow. Between the common flexor and common extensor tendons you have the biceps and the brachioradialis, both of which are involved heavily with pullups. Rest and ice are fine, but if you really want to get back in the game you should get some professional soft tissue treatment ie, ART, trigger point, Graston. If after 2 weeks you're not better, see the orthopod.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Joe Celso

Profile:
fellas- my golfer's elbow is just driving me nuts. i'm trying to rest it, but it's hard to motivate to just squat and run all the time (so i'm doing it about half as much as i should). do you think it would be ok to do some "regular" work and use wrist straps for a while? my elbow was feeling a lot better so i had to try ONE pull up last night. man did that hurt!