CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Scott Carter

Profile:
I had an idea for a climbing rope and thought I'd run it by the group. The thickest rope that Home Depot sells is in the half inch range. Do you think it would work if I braided 3 of these to make a rope approximately 1.5 inches in diameter? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Bill Russell

Profile:
I've toyed with the idea myself. I think you'll want to braid more than 3 pieces together, 3 will only give you about 1" in diameter. I'm going to try with 5 pieces to start.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Also, I'd look into various types of braids and how many strands they require to make a round braid. A three-strand braid is more flat; a four-strand braid is more round and would probably be easier on the hands because of it.
Of course, by the time you've paid for five half-inch ropes, you may have paid as much as you would for a climbing rope to begin with....
Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
Scott Carter

Profile:
That's true Tirzah. Braiding the ropes would greatly reduce the overall length so I would need segments quite a bit longer than what the end result is intended to be. I may get a few short lengths to see what they would feel like.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Aaron Dutton

Profile:
I braided four similar ropes together. I wasn't happy with the result (still too skinny). Took a while to do the braiding too. My 2 cents.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Try the search function for "home made climbing rope". This will turn up:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/12623.html

I made one with a nylon (or was it polypro? cripes, don't remember!) 3/8" rope from Home Depot. 100' length, cut in half, double them over to get 4 strands with 2 forming the tie-in loop as the top, braid as shown in the link above, makes about 18 feet or so (IIRC). Still slick b/c of the material; still somewhat thin but OK. I find the "bumpiness" of the rope from the braids painful (wimpy hands, I guess). I ended up getting a 1.5" manila rope from McMaster-Carr anyway.

Good luck,
Rene'
Old 07-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
I played around with the 4 strand
square sinnet idea with various
rope sizes and I find the 1-inch
size rope to work best when using this
method. Also learn the end 'whipping'
technique and the rope will look really
ship-shape.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
John Phipps

Profile:
Ross Enamait had an article yesterday on his training site about climbing ropes. The cost for manila rope 1.5″ is 84 cents per foot and 2″ rope sells for 1.81 per foot. I don't have a climbing rope myself or compared prices but here is the link if interested.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/page/2/
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Thanks for that link John. I am moving to a new place in a few weeks and already have a spot picked out for the rope.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
W. Geoffrey Miller

Profile:
Here's a comment from the blog:

"Ross and others–Here’s a little more info for comparative shopping: I sent an e-mail asking the Mill and Mine folks about available lengths, lashing and shipping rates for the 2″ rope.

Their response: they normally don’t sell in lengths of less than 100′ (although they had a 50′ piece they would sell me); they don’t lash the ends (not a big deal for me); and shipping from Memphis to St. Louis would be about $25.00."

If anyone is in the Central PA area and wants to piggyback an order, let me know. I'd be looking for a 25' section.