CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #1
Shane Upchurch

Profile:
I was just wondering if anyone had tried using no-explode with the WOD's? I started using it about 3 weeks ago and I have gained about 8lbs. I know creatine will make your body hold water and therefore while your on it you will gain a few lbs just from that, not sure if this stuff was the same way or not. My goal is not to gain weight I only started taking it to help me finish hard, and wake me up in the morning. Any info? Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Shane;
"finish hard and wake up".???
Coffee works for me
Old 07-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
Shane,

My roommate has been taking NO-explode for several months. He has gained mass, but not fat. I take nitric oxide in a pill form (the maker is VASO) and I also take liquid creatine. However, my body fat % is pretty low (~8%, but those numbers are never 100% accurate).

Anyway, I would say that if you are gaining weight and it's not muscle, then perhaps look to your diet. I know that eating clean has worked well for me.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Kellee Rassau

Profile:
My experience has been, until your diet is squared up, supplements will not be very helpful to you. I've cycled creatine off and on for about 8 years, and it works very well for me. I know people who take No-Xplode, and they really like it. I'm still taking micronized creatine, so I don't know much about the No-Xplode.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
I can recall from my Single Marine Barracks Rat days seeing everyones and their brother taking Noxplode and gakkic and NO2 and this and that.

They all seemed to view it as a fast track to EXTREME MASS!!!!
Besides Creatine (which I dont take), And a protein supplement (which I do take),
I think that the rest of that stuff is crap.
If its in FLEX or Muscle and Fitness,
Its pure crap.
Maybe it isnt completely crap, but its still EXPENSIVE crap.
But I must say if you ever get the chance to take the sixteen pill daily pack of vitamins from ANIMAL PAK, you should give it a shot.
Once it runs through you, go to the bathroom and turn the lights down low. That pee will glow yellow. You could mark landing zones for aircraft with that stuff.

Vitamins, dessicated liver, fish oil, protein, and a clean diet have been doing well for me.

And they're not nearly as crappy.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Shane Upchurch

Profile:
As far as diet I follow a lot of mens health advice, powerfoods and such. I dont think its my diet because it has not changed and I was staying around 188 give or take two pounds until I started taking the no-explode and now Im up around 196. My clothes and all still fit fine and I dont notice any particula areas that are "fatter" which is why I think it may just be the no-explode making my muscles retain water. Either way I'll find out soon, as Im almost out.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I believe there is a very minimal amount of creatine in N.O.-xplode so I doubt the weight gain is from that. If your running out and want to keep taking an NO supplement my friend at GNC recomends superpump it cost the same but you get more servings at he seems to think it works just as well. He has taken both.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Milton Grasle

Profile:
I agree a lot with John P. S. Shopra. And I'll add. If you're follwing a fairly clean diet, you'll have little need for supplements. Most of the stuff is hype. I agree that post exercise you need to get the right carbs and protein back into your system quickly. John, you know what that bright fluorescent urine is don't you? It's your body expelling all the excess vitamins and minerals you didn't need and can't absorb.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
George Mounce

Profile:
That bright yellow tinge to your pee is the B vitamins you spent all that money on being wasted.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Shane;
Dump the subscrip to Men's Health, sub to either the CF journal and maybe performance menu.
Men's Health is the female version of Shape, both which in my not so humble opinion are Crap. I just dropped my sub to Mens Journal, which as some pretty good articles, but again, really just crap. As you can see, I'm trying to cut the Crap out of my life, take somewhat of a mimimalist point of view.