CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #91
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Programming... Starting on August 5th

NEW PR!

DL 1RM 08/14/11- 355#
DL 1RM 10/02/11- 380#

25# PR in 1.5 months is that good?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #92
Kane Greene

Profile:

An update on some strength gains of those training at my facility.

We did a 3RM deadlift for our ME lower yesterday. ALMOST everyone pulled a 3RM with their 1RM from when we did the total in August.

Here are some videos

This first one is of Reece W. Bodyweight of 165 deadlifting 475 for 2. He moved the 3rd rep but never cleared the knees(that part not in video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmP5gBi6DPI (WFS)

This second one is of a female athlete we have. She deadlifted 315 for 3, at a bodyweight of somewhere between 135-140. When we did the total in August 315 was crazy hard for her. Take a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPSQF...eature=related (WFS)

I don't have video but a guy that comes that's 50yrs old pulled 365 for 3 and that is 5lbs more than his previous 1RM(at 6'4", 195, and the body type and frame of a marathon runner). My wife pulled 265 for 3, which is also 5lbs over her previous 1RM(bodyweight 140), and Reece's fiance pulled 265 for 3, which was her previous 1RM (also around 135-140 bodyweight)

I will say since I've been cleared to start training again from my surgery that my strength is coming back FAST. My doctors are amazed at the pace and have said that I am a model example of how coming into an operation with high levels of strength pay huge dividends on the back end. I can't go heavy overhead and currently I cannot jump and look up at the same time, but squatting, deadlifting, and benching are game. I've limited overhead strength work to single arm kettlebell presses for reps with the 53 to keep some overhead strength and to help rebuild my atrophied trap.

Oh, and I was playing with another way to work through sticking points in the squat. I used to always have trouble getting out of the hole, so I addressed it with a lot of box squatting and no longer have trouble with the bottom. I now struggle between 1-3 inches above parallel. I read about this method to help. I can't find the link to it but here's the gist. Instead of using bands or chains that gradually add resistance as you come up, you tie weight from ropes to come off of the ground at your hard point.

This video is of me with 365 on the bar, 50lbs hanging. So it's 415 everywhere but in the hole. Man I tell you what when those plates come off of the ground it's like a solid punch in the face. haha. My bodyweight is currently fluctuating between 175-180 depending on the day. So give it a shot if you are looking for a new ME lower exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ri_f...eature=related (WFS)

I will say implementing Louie's ideology with CrossFit is paying huge dividends at my facility. I would love the opportunity to meet him in person. I called to inquire about his WestSide certification and was told if I was ever in Ohio I could stop by and hang out for a day or two. Next time I visit family in PA I am definitely taking him up on his offer. I am inspired by his dedication to Strength coaching and he has made me realize that to be a successful coach you must CONSTANTLY read!

Last summer a D1 sprinter called WestSide to ask a question about training and Louie called him back and talked to him for over an hour and detailed exactly what he needed to do to cut his 100m times. That says a lot about a person to care so much when they have nothing to gain.

If you haven't already done so BUY AND READ AND REREAD the WestSide Barbell Book of Methods. Go to his website and read all his articles. Then start reading everything in his recommended reading list, you won't regret it!

Any updates from anyone else following the program?

Just a heads up, we will be doing another CrossFit Football Total in November.

Keep training hard!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #93
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Last summer a D1 sprinter called WestSide to ask a question about training and Louie called him back and talked to him for over an hour and detailed exactly what he needed to do to cut his 100m times. That says a lot about a person to care so much when they have nothing to gain.
You know and sorry I am not trying to derail your thread here but you bring up something that irks me. This guy runs certs, a business, trains himself and athletes yet still makes the time to be available for phone calls with complete strangers for free. I bring this up becuase there are countless CrossFit gyms that I can never get on the phone or never get an e-mail back and or anything like that. Hell Glenn Pendlay constantly gives feed back on his forums its as if to say they are too busy but these world classes coaches have the time to do it, WTF? Ok sorry for the rant.

Kane,
I am not following your program specifically but I just recently, last monday, made the switch to a westside template I will update those for you. But thanks for being available to everyone.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #94
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Kane--they all dominated those weights. Good work and nice depth on your squat. The plate seems like a meaner version of chains.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #95
David Meverden

Profile:

Thanks for putting your stuff out there, Kane, and thanks for getting back to us on results.

I'm going to start following your programming with another guy from our gym. I look forward to it. The program looks like a lot of fun with some great variety. I'm heavier than I've ever been so my goal is to slowly cut down while hopefully maintaining my strength level.

As with everything I try on here I'll keep everyone posted with results. I'll also start posted to my conjugate workout log again, since the plan will fit that description: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...t=66724&page=7 (WFS) if anyone is interested.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #96
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Kane--I was reviewing this last months plan it looks like you've blended the systems pretty well. It takes a lot of the core Westside ideas without overdoing the volume with assitance work and WODs.

One of the key components of Westside is working weaknesses. When programming for a large group how do you address this? Do you feel by working multiple skills/domains over time covers the weakness? Or do you tweak peoples programs individually that we wouldn't see by looking at your sight. So if my hammies were weak, you'd have me do the daily WOD, strength WOD and also 2-3 sets of GHR's 3 times a week?

Like with any CF or Westside program how have people newer or more naive to fitness dealt with all of the variety?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #97
David Meverden

Profile:

BTW, I've been compiling the program in a spreadsheet so I could get a birds eye view of it and figured others might be interested. Aug-mid Oct programming is laid out in the attached spreadsheet. I didn't put in the Saturday WoDs as the core of the program was described as 4 days/week.

Lets you get a better feel for the layout and programming, as well as making planning easier.
Attached Files
File Type: email CF Fairbanks program Aug-Oct.xls (62.0 KB, 451 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #98
Kane Greene

Profile:

David,

I hope you enjoy the same progress my clients do.

And as you've said. The core of the program is 4 days. I run a full time affiliate so I can't just close on Wednesday's or Saturday. Those days are usually more traditional CrossFit programming, with a larger emphasis placed on conditioning. If you are following my actual program, I would prefer you to do M, T, Th, F with Saturday's being optional. If you do feel frisky and want to train on Wed limit it to skill work or mobility drills. Sometimes I'll feel like doing something on Wed and I'll do over unders with the squat rack to keep the hips loose, maybe do sets of box jumps at 70-80 percent, handstand walks, or pick various gymnastic skills to play with. At my affiliate we have an hour dedicated to mobility drills from MWOD that I find an absolute necessity. Nothing too taxing. Definitely do not follow my WOD for Wednesday.

Robert,

As for addressing weaknesses of an entire group-- I feel we do a pretty good job of going over various weaknesses in the written programming. BUT, yes I do work with clients on an individual basis as well. I have a guy that is strong but is definitely lacking in the hamstrings. So on lower days I have him hammer accessory work post WOD to address this. If you have a specific weakness that is holding you back, you can add an accessory exercise post WOD.

Also when you wrote your response you put WOD, then Strength WOD. Even though it is listed on my website WOD first, you are to do the Strength Workout of the Day before the Workout of the Day. Similar to how CrossFit Football lists the WOD in the center and the SWOD to the right, even though SWOD comes first.

Another thing I want to add is that you are to train ABs EVERYDAY post WOD. Pick an exercise and do 3-4 sets everyday. I don't post it on the site because I let everyone choose their exercise. I just stress to bounce back and forth between weighted, isometric, and bodyweight dynamic exercises. Excluding the regular sit up.

And in regard to new people. I start all new members interested in Strength training on my L1 program, which is a linear progression. I've addressed this before. MOST people have no idea what the hell HEAVY is and most have never even done a squat before. I work on their technique and start them on the progression with something moderately heavy(which they feel is really heavy but you can tell they aren't even straining) and have them work up. Our level 1 is a weekly cycle that is the same as the CFFB Amateur program. I find that if I have them doing ME work they really aren't going over 90% aren't getting the benefit yet without being comfortable with what they are doing. Once they get a feel for everything and understand barbell(usually 3-6 months) training a little better I move them to Level 2 to reap the same benefits as everyone else. It works out great.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #99
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Hi Kane,

What advice would you give on scaling the WOD portion of your programming post the strength WOD? Thanks.

edit: I guess my question is what level are your WODs scaled for currently?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #100
Kane Greene

Profile:

Andrew,

Haven't been on forums in a while. I usually program the workouts around my abilities. Do you have any question in particular for scaling? Too heavy, too much volume, ??? If you are really focusing on Strength, then slow it down and walk through the workouts, keeping the weights as high as possible.

Oh did something interesting with the wife this morning. I'm doing a 3 week wave of free squats for dynamic/volume day of 75, 80, and 85%. We decided to race through 12 x 2 @ 80 %. 330, no fails, I think finished low 7 minutes. ROUGH!

Here's the link: http://youtu.be/qhiduszs5hw WFS