CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #81
Tim Squires

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Programming... Starting on August 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Robert,

Depends on what the ME exercise is. Usually between 2-5 minutes. Closer to 2 minutes on upper days and closer to 5 on lower days. It just really depends on how I feel during the working sets.

Assistance work I go 1-2 minutes between sets.

I think the big thing is to cut out all ****ing around when you are training. No chit chat, no scratching your ball sack, no excessive trips to the water fountain. Just shut the **** up and do work. The only conversation should be training related or encouragement during working sets. Other than that, save it for the ride home.

Andy--

Strength before WOD unless otherwise specified.
Kane-
Is the accessory work procedure similar to what Chris Mason prescribes in his article; i.e shooting for a load that brings failure after the last rep?

For example with todays (DE) 3x12 snatch grip deadlift... do we use the same weight across all three sets, with the anticipation that a 13th rep would be near impossible?

Or are we instead working on speed, as this is a dynamic effort day?

Last edited by Tim Squires; 08-12-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #82
Kane Greene

Profile:

Ross,

Keep in mind we are CrossFitters. I really really enjoyed Chris Masons article. He suggests his template would be best used at least once a year to improve strength, but left me with the impression that as a CrossFitter it's not to be followed it year round. Most all of the assistance work is in the form of the repetition method, which is a lot of hypertrophy work. I try to use some repetition method accessory work and some gymnastic training which I believe has a lot of benefits in terms of overall strength, including the lifts. If I can work towards doing push ups with my feet off of the floor or nailing a planche, then I am sure that will help my bench or press go up, as well as improve my overall athleticism.

My goal is to develop a well rounded strength athlete in the power lifts, olympic lifts, gymnastic strength, while improving overall work capacity. I'm not a power lifter, I'm a CrossFitter. I want my athletes to be able to squat 2 x bodyweight, deadlift between 2.5-3 x bodyweight, bench close to 2 x bodyweight, press 1 x bodyweight, clean over 1.5 x bodyweight, snatch 1.25 bodyweight, strict muscle ups, L-sits on rings, a planche, back lever, front lever, and a 1 minute 400m. This is why it is not exactly what you may find outlined by Chris Mason.

Tim,

The squats from friday were dynamic, the snatches were not. For dynamic pressing exercises will be reps of 3, squats 2, and pulls 1. I always put *Focus on Bar Speed* if it's meant to be dynamic for extra emphasis.

For the snatch grip DL you were looking for something that would be near failure on the 12th rep. You could use the same weight for all three sets or alter it slightly. I would say you shouldn't be deviating more than a few pounds between sets or you were way off. For example a few people fluctuated by 5-10lbs from set 1 to 3.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #83
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Ross,

Keep in mind we are CrossFitters. I really really enjoyed Chris Masons article. He suggests his template would be best used at least once a year to improve strength, but left me with the impression that as a CrossFitter it's not to be followed it year round. Most all of the assistance work is in the form of the repetition method, which is a lot of hypertrophy work. I try to use some repetition method accessory work and some gymnastic training which I believe has a lot of benefits in terms of overall strength, including the lifts. If I can work towards doing push ups with my feet off of the floor or nailing a planche, then I am sure that will help my bench or press go up, as well as improve my overall athleticism.

My goal is to develop a well rounded strength athlete in the power lifts, olympic lifts, gymnastic strength, while improving overall work capacity. I'm not a power lifter, I'm a CrossFitter. I want my athletes to be able to squat 2 x bodyweight, deadlift between 2.5-3 x bodyweight, bench close to 2 x bodyweight, press 1 x bodyweight, clean over 1.5 x bodyweight, snatch 1.25 bodyweight, strict muscle ups, L-sits on rings, a planche, back lever, front lever, and a 1 minute 400m. This is why it is not exactly what you may find outlined by Chris Mason.

Tim,

The squats from friday were dynamic, the snatches were not. For dynamic pressing exercises will be reps of 3, squats 2, and pulls 1. I always put *Focus on Bar Speed* if it's meant to be dynamic for extra emphasis.

For the snatch grip DL you were looking for something that would be near failure on the 12th rep. You could use the same weight for all three sets or alter it slightly. I would say you shouldn't be deviating more than a few pounds between sets or you were way off. For example a few people fluctuated by 5-10lbs from set 1 to 3.
ok now i understand. thanks for the response and allowing us to try out your program.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #84
Tim Squires

Profile:

Anyone have any updates on how the program is going/ how you're progressing?

Kane- Quick question...From what I understand, Louie Simmons recommends 72 hours between max efforts. What are your experiences/thoughts on having 48 hours between max efforts, as with this programming?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #85
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

My understanding is that he recommends 72 hour before working the same muscle system in a intense way. So max effort squats on day one, then take 2 full days off the hit dynamic squats. You could max effort squat on day one then on day two do max effort bench, but you wouldn't want to ME squat on monday and the dynamic squat on tuesday.

Like anything there's some flexibility and variance. Probably, early on in traning having only 48 hours between days wouldn't be as taxing on the body. If a beginner max effor squats 200lbs and comes back in 2 days for a dynamic day with 100lb box squats, that isn't as taxing as an 800lb squat followed by 400lb dynamic days, which could really benefit from that extra day. This is probably one of the reasons linear progressions start out pretty good because the loads are low and so not that taxing to the body.

On another note, for those who have to squeeze training in, sometimes you have to adjust the model to fit you. So if you can't get 72 hours, you can either train 3 days a week instead of 4, or have one less day off between workouts. This could mean decereasing the total volume on the 2nd workout of the same body type that week.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #86
David Meverden

Profile:

We're a month in: Initial impressions anyone?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #87
Tim Squires

Profile:

Any updates from someone following the program or even Kane himself?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #88
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

I've been following this sik program since 08/19/11 but started with the WOD from 08/07/11 basically the start.
I'm a father of 2 [3.5yrs and 3 months so following a perfect schedule has been tough
I also workout in my mini basement box so i don't have every tool he uses
i'm basically doing 2 on 1 off more or less and I've done every strength wod combo in order with most of the single wods too.

I'm mentioning this because i feel your results will be even better if you do everything as they do.
relevant stats to this post -
1RM jerk 150# 08/14/11
1RM back squat 235# 08/14/11
could not c + j 2 pood KB [maybe a few cleans if i was lucky

strength on Friday [for me] was SQUAT 2-2-2-2 i did
220# - 240# - 250# - 260# and i;m sure i had 265# in me!

prior to this we had a wod of 30-20-10 2poos KB power clean + jerk, toes to bar
RX'D 16:56!!

WOD yesterday[for me] 8 rounds
3x 185# shoulder to overhead [subbed to 155# [5# more then my 1rm
5x supine strict pull ups
run 100m [subbed 200m bike
time 21:12
so i jerked 155# 24 times!

It's really working for me and i'm technically behind by 2-3 weeks. Who knows maybe the extra down time allows for more strength gains. i'm curious to see how other are doing. hope this shows how great this programming is.

Thanks again KANE
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #89
Daniel Dean

Profile:

Kane,

If I wanted to try your programming can I just jump into the current WODs or do I need to go back to a certain date and start there?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #90
Kane Greene

Profile:

Sorry I haven't been on the message board much. I have been really busy lately and have been cleared to start training again by the doc post surgery.

We've been making good progress within my affiliate. Everyone who follows the L2 program religiously did a double I think 2 weeks ago with their max squat from CFFB total in August, some did more than their previous max, among improvements in other things.

My lunchtime class is mostly women right now. I noticed the other day that out of a class of 9 for the day, 5 of them were doing 105# push presses for reps, one girl for the day used 135(easy). The most impressive thing to me was that none of them have been training for more than 6 months.

Michael-- I'm glad you're enjoying the program.

Daniel-- Yes, you can jump in at any time. It's easier if you know your maxes on all of the lifts because we do percentage work, but there is no set date you NEED to start from.