CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Kevin Adkins

Profile:
Help with dropping under bar during clean/snatch

I find that when I'm doing cleans and/or snatches I'm able to pull the bar very easily, but have trouble dropping my *** into a full squat under the bar quick enough. For example, I was maxing cleans today and got up near my max. Then, as usual, I was able to pull the bar fairly easily to above where it needs to be, but I was only able to get a partial rack when catching the bar on my shoulders because I wasn't dropping under the bar or dropping fast enough. This is a constant problem when doing these o-lifts. Any suggestions on how to train myself to drop faster and mentally put myself under the bar?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Help with dropping under bar during clean/snatch

Don't think of it like dropping/falling under the bar. It's not passive. You should be pulling yourself down under it and into position.

More aggression, more mobility work (if getting into the bottom position isn't cake for you), more practice.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Adkins View Post
I find that when I'm doing cleans and/or snatches I'm able to pull the bar very easily, but have trouble dropping my *** into a full squat under the bar quick enough. For example, I was maxing cleans today and got up near my max. Then, as usual, I was able to pull the bar fairly easily to above where it needs to be, but I was only able to get a partial rack when catching the bar on my shoulders because I wasn't dropping under the bar or dropping fast enough. This is a constant problem when doing these o-lifts. Any suggestions on how to train myself to drop faster and mentally put myself under the bar?
snatches and cleans from the high hang.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Kevin Adkins

Profile:

Chris,

Would you suggest more practice using light weight or more practice working up to high weight each time?

Andrew,

Coach at school has suggested same thing. Will start doing more of those. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Adkins View Post
Chris,

Would you suggest more practice using light weight or more practice working up to high weight each time?

Andrew,

Coach at school has suggested same thing. Will start doing more of those. Thank you.
I'd say practice at ~85% of max. Heavy enough that you'll actually need to pull under it, but not a max so you have can focus on specific things and not just be worried about making it. I'm not really talking extra practice... just that it'll take some time and focus to get better at it.

From the hang is good stuff too, but you'll still need to focus on being aggressive pulling under and into those receiving positions.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
adam adkins

Profile:

I don't like it when other posters beat me to good points so I am just going to restate what has already been said and act like I was the first to come up with it.

1) It is a 3rd pull not a drop. Actively and aggressively pull yourself under the bar. Work top/tall cleans for practice.

2) Lots of reps at near maximal weights for practice. Not lots of reps at once for time but rather to many, many sets of doubles or triple at submaximal (80-90%)weights.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

I find this to be a common problem. People, including myself, seem to have a mental block about getting low when the weight gets heavy.

I broke this by one day just deciding no matter what, on this next lift (for PR), all I was going to do and concentrate on was dropping (ie. pulling) myself as low as I could and not worry about catching the weight. It worked! Not only did I get low, but I muscle memory took over and I actually caught the weight beautifully. Surprised the S&%t out of myself too!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Kevin Adkins

Profile:

Thank you Chris, Andrew, Adam, and Rene' for your suggestions and tips. Hopefully I'll be able to fix the problem using your info.

oh, and adam..... nice last name.

Last edited by Kevin Adkins; 08-05-2011 at 12:15 PM..