CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Gloves at the games?

Wearing gloves in training=not real smart, because you'll never develop calluses, plus it's a sign you're probably not training intelligently if you're regularly doing things that would result in a rip.

Wearing gloves in a 3 day competition in which you'll do up to 10 workouts, most of which require you to hold onto a barbell, KB, or pullup bar=slightly different story.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

does wearing gloves = less work. I doubt it so who cares... Why do the majority of you guys think tearing your hands on WODS means your tougher/stronger/cooler? Seems a little dumb to me.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Wearing gloves in training=not real smart, because you'll never develop calluses, plus it's a sign you're probably not training intelligently if you're regularly doing things that would result in a rip.

Wearing gloves in a 3 day competition in which you'll do up to 10 workouts, most of which require you to hold onto a barbell, KB, or pullup bar=slightly different story.
no kidding Eric. I still facepalm regularly at the things I read people say. Rope climbs, monkey-bars, swings, double-unders, pull-ups, toes 2 bar, sled pulling, bar work, deads...holy bajeebus my hands are quaking just typing this workload.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Does Reebok sell matching purses? Seriously I understand the reasons and your arguments for wearing them, but I still love the original old school badass Crossfit attitude.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Mike Gin

Profile:

Is there really any difference between tape and gloves? Really? I've taped and I've worn gloves - tape leaves a sticky residue all over my pullup bar and then screws me up when I try to do a different move like cleans (my taping technique is perhaps suspect).

I still prefer nothing and typically I only chalk if I'm doing heavy deadlifts. But seeing the volume those folks went through and gloves were allowed I'd be all over it. Last year when Kalipha had them on the rubber surface was like 140+ degrees and competitors struggled with the hot surface. Made lots of sense...

One thing I did hear them say about the gloves was that they could only be used for protection, no additional grip. So they could not be equipped with a tacky, grippy surface.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Boris Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
Is there really any difference between tape and gloves? Really? I've taped and I've worn gloves - tape leaves a sticky residue all over my pullup bar and then screws me up when I try to do a different move like cleans (my taping technique is perhaps suspect).

I still prefer nothing and typically I only chalk if I'm doing heavy deadlifts. But seeing the volume those folks went through and gloves were allowed I'd be all over it. Last year when Kalipha had them on the rubber surface was like 140+ degrees and competitors struggled with the hot surface. Made lots of sense...

One thing I did hear them say about the gloves was that they could only be used for protection, no additional grip. So they could not be equipped with a tacky, grippy surface.
This may be helpful for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0 (wfs). One of CalStrength's lifters Donny Shankle goes through hand care and how to properly tape your hands.

If they're batting gloves, doesn't that mean they have a grippy surface?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
Luke Hitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Roden View Post
Does Reebok sell matching purses?
Maybe if you had dedicated your whole 2010-2011 to train for the games, focused on all your weaknesses, and dial in your nutrition like some of these guys you would understand why wearing gloves is better than having your whole Games competition screwed up by ripping your hands doing 50 straight pullups in the first of 10 wods...

Let's be honest, even the people out there who think tearing your hands is "badass and tough" would have to admit that they would perform better in 10 wods over three days without ripped hands. I don't think anybody would say they perform better with bloody, ripped hands.

And at the end of the day the goal is to do more work in less time, as opposed to looking "cool" AND doing some work in kinda less time...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
Steve Bray

Profile:

i think the gloves look cool to be honest and i would wear them in competition and maybe if i had a big tear on my hand just to prevent any further damage?
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
Jim Denofa

Profile:

Ripping your hands is never bad *** or tough. Scraping you knees when you fall off a bike is just as tough. Injuries are not cool.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Chicks dig scars.

And as a comparison, how many strongman competitors wear gloves during competition? I compare them because a lot of their events require them to have immense amount of grip strength and endurance, more so than CrossFitters.