CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Alves vs Fitch UFC 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I don't know if Chael will have the same opportunities he had in this fight when Silva's ready for him and seen exactly what he has to throw and felt exactly what he had to throw. Not to mention that aside from the end of the fight Chael fought a perfect fight. Can he put on another perfect performance, this time to the end?
This is almost the exact same thing people were saying about the Shogun/Machida rematch. Just sayin.

I was afraid Sonnen was going to choke the whole time because Silva is so dangerous off his back. It was a shame to see it happen. Still, I think Sonnen exceeded 99% of everyone's expectations, mine included. He is due a lot more respect now.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #32
Omar Bocanegra

Profile:

Sonnen did a lot better than I expected, Even though Silvas ribs were injured to the point doctors advised him to call of the fight (he didn't obviously). Sonnen is very susptable to sumbmission, as EG: vs Maia, vs Babalu. He fought very well, but it was against a 50-60% Silva, who still rocked his world a few times, not to say Sonnen didnt also repay the favor. But, that is what fighting is all about, I was very entertained.

Was it just me or did Thiago Alves look lackluster, not like Im used to seeing him ?Ive Got to give it to Fitch, he was game.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #33
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Payne View Post
Actually the the sub he caught him in was an easy mistake on Sonnen's part actually so the question is all things being equal if he had a second chance would he get subbed in that position? who knows. Now Sonnen really has confidence and also can see what Silva has too. I see the next fight playing out in a similar fashion...
I don't see it playing out the same way at all. I don't think Silva will be sloppy on his feet and get clipped like he did and he'll have trained more heavily to avoid the takedown. Plus Sonnen gets lazy in every fight and leaves something out there to get subbed with. If we're going by what has happened in the past (which you seem to want to do) then we have to assume that Sonnen will once again leave something hanging out there to get subbed with.

And Ned, totally different fights and styles. Shogun is a danger to finish you if you make one mistake. Even though he clipped Silva that's very very very rare from Sonnen and I'm not really worried that he'd be able to finish Silva if they fought a second time. The chances of Silva knocking him out are greater than Sonnen being able to actually finish Silva when he gets him on his back again.

Sonnen deserves all the credit in the world for putting on such a great performance but once again, he lost. I see plenty of people acting like Sonnen won and if they fought again Sonnen would easily finish that bum Silva.

People keep acting like Silva got lucky and shouldn't have won. He did what an elite BJJ fighter does. Kept his composure and kept working for a sub off his back until your opponent gives you that one opening and then you attack and rip their heart out.
It doesn't matter that he was losing until that point, he kept his composure and found a way to win like a true champion.
I mean the attitude I'm seeing from some people (and before you go getting offended I'm not talking about on this messageboard, I post on many different internet boards) is that we should discount the fact Silva won and pay attention to the fact that Sonnen was winning on the judge's scorecard.
By the logic I'm seeing from some people I guess we should act like Todd Duffee is undefeated. I mean he did dominate Mike Russow until Russow hit a miracle punch for the KO. But you know, Duffee was ahead on the scorecard so who cares about the actual finish.

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell; 08-08-2010 at 02:56 PM..
Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
Scott Moore.

Profile:

I'm a Chael hater and I give him the utmost respect for what he did last night. Yeah he talked alot of trash and some of it was stupid to me but he backed up everything he said. He pressured Silva in a way that we have never seen anyone even come close to. He took it too Silva and didn't let up. If anything the only reason Silva won is because Chael didn't cruise in the last round like he could have. He didn't lay and pray like so many others would have.

I think Sonnen's post fight comment were also proper and he didn't apologize for the comments he made or try to say "oh I was just saying that for promotion." He stayed true to himself and didn't back down from what he said. I may not like him as a person but I respect him as a fighter.

I think this fight was a bit of a wake-up call for Silva, he looked a little too relaxed in the beginning of this fight in my opinion. Hopefully this will light a fire under his butt to fight harder.

No matter what UFC 117 was one of the best all around cards of the year. It's rare to have two straight events that are as good as UFC 116 and 117.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 08-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
This is almost the exact same thing people were saying about the Shogun/Machida rematch. Just sayin.
I think if I said this about it I was complaining that Shogun fought the perfect fight and got screwed in the first one. Still a different situation with different fighters and different styles.

I don't think Sonnen can beat Silva in a rematch but I think I know a man that can. Jake Shields. I think he's a better wrestler than Sonnen and bigger than GSP (i personally feel he's going to take GSP's title as well). He pretty much tooled Henderson on the ground and he doesn't really leave himself open for the submission like Sonnen tends to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #36
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I think if I said this about it I was complaining that Shogun fought the perfect fight and got screwed in the first one. Still a different situation with different fighters and different styles.

I don't think Sonnen can beat Silva in a rematch but I think I know a man that can. Jake Shields. I think he's a better wrestler than Sonnen and bigger than GSP (i personally feel he's going to take GSP's title as well). He pretty much tooled Henderson on the ground and he doesn't really leave himself open for the submission like Sonnen tends to do.
I think that Silva has more to worry about than a rematch with Sonnen. Silva needs to work to become even more well rounded. Although he won his "hole" is on the ground being controlled by a wrestler. If he meets someone like Sonnen who also has a great BJJ game and submission defense? Will be interesting. Silva may want to start thinking about Belfort. If anything I think this fight was a good lesson for Silva.
Jake Shields is good .....but he won't be good enough to beat GSP. And the Hendo Shields fought was a late thirties Henderson..not even close to being in his prime.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #37
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Man you just like to disagree with everything I say don't you? This was a Hendo that was coming off a decent UFC career where he was the first guy to beat Silva for a round in the UFC and where he notched a victory over a very good Rich Franklin and a so-so Michael Bisping. It's not like he was a bum on a 10 fight losing streak.

We'll see if Shields can beat GSP. All I know is the fight will be boring as h*ll.

And Silva should worry about Belfort because that's who his next opponent will be apparently per Dana at the post fight press conference. Then again Belfort will probably charge into a fist from Silva. I don't think Silva has to worry about Victor freaking Belfort taking him down and trying to ride out a victory.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #38
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Apparently Sonnen agreed that Silva was injured in the fight. Weird, I thought he'd use that to restart the trash talk saying that Silva was coming up with excuses.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #39
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Shileds is nowhere near the wrestler Cheal is, that being said his jiu-jitsu is light years ahead of silva, and if he could get through on silva for the take down he would advance postion and get the sub. The difference between Jake and Cheal is toughness, cheal is much tougher and jake wouldn't last the strikes of Silva to close the distance.