CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Re: Alves vs Fitch UFC 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
There is nothing all that outrageous about Sonnen's remarks on Lance Armstrong's steroid abuse. That is at least based in some fact.

Thinking Silva has been ducking him for the last 4 years though? Based in pure fantasy.

Granted, Sonnen is the first legit wrestler since Hendo, and Hendo was able to win the first round -- so I give Chael a chance to win this fight (not much of one, but more than most are giving him).

Anderson Silva doesn't have a gas tank deep enough to go 5 rounds under pressure.
Doesn't have the gas tank??? Evidence would be? Chael has no chance.....at all.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #22
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
\Anderson Silva doesn't have a gas tank deep enough to go 5 rounds under pressure.
And Chael Sonnen doesn't have the chin to withstand 5 rounds of punches and knees from Silva...
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #23
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

Since Silva has submitted to training from Steven Seagal, he does not have a chance. He is as doomed as a new Seagal movie.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #24
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well Silva almost lost that fight, but he showed the heart of a champion and the skill to match and pulled out the victory. Great champions find a way to win.

I've already run into several people online that are acting like Chael won the fight. This isn't horseshoes, almost doesn't count!

Hopefully thought it's a wake-up call to Silva.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Well, it turns out Chael did mighty damn good for a "guy who had nothing to offer Silva, couldn't withstand his kicks and punches, wasn't going to be able to deliver on his trash talk," etc, etc. He completely dominated the pound for pound best fighter in the world for four and a half rounds. It was completely heartbreaking to see him lose less than two minutes to the end. I hope Dana takes Chael's suggestion in the post fight press conference and puts these two as coaches on the next season of TUF, leading up to a rematch.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #26
Matthew Payne

Profile:

I am one of those who gave Chael no chance to win. Even though he lost I was very wrong!

That was an outstanding fight and although in the end he did not get the win ....he absolutely , overwhelmingly DOMINATED the best fighter in the world in a way I have never seen. In my mind Chael did win in the sense he shocked the hell out of Silva. Silva looked like he could not believe what was happening. Chael was the one that showed heart. Anderson needed his *ss handed to him like it was. That will bring his arrogance down a few notches for sure.

Also , Anderson showed the style of fighter he has the most trouble with...the wrestler. There are more than a few world class wrestler's out there who were watching that last night.

In the bar I was in watching the fight you could sense the fear and disbelief in the Silva fans and the huge sigh....and much more quiet cheers once he won.

Chael Sonnen just picked up lots of fans because of the way he dominated a skilled but cocky fighter and how he took the fight to him. He backed up almost every bit of trash talking he did. That does not happen often.

Go Sonnen!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #27
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

The problem is that the majority of Sonnen fans I've met are acting like he won the fight. Yes he did beat on Silva (though he caused relatively no damage while on top as Silva's face looked fine afterwards, meanwhile Silva damaged from bottom) and dominate him for 4 1/2 rounds but in the end HE LOST. He tapped out! Almost doesn't count in MMA when you're talking about who won the fight and is now the champion.
Silva's still the champion and still didn't lose the fight.
I give Sonnen all the credit in the world and think he deserves an immediate rematch, but I'm not going to act like he won the fight and Silva is suddenly a bum not on Sonnen's level like I've seen many people around the "internets" acting.

And Silva as a coach on TUF would suck. He can barely speak English!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #28
Matthew Payne

Profile:

I agree. Silva won. As far as damage done to someone's face etc...? That is totally irrelevant and means nothing, some guys get cut easier than others and has no bearing on the quality of punishment... Silva was beaten down, worn down. But he did win after all and that is what counts the most. I think people jump all over the Sonnen band wagon because all the AS die hards talk like he is unbeatable...and we saw that the holes are there to open that door. "Almost" winning does mean something, that future opportunity obviously exists to beat Silva. Doable for sure.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #29
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I don't know if Chael will have the same opportunities he had in this fight when Silva's ready for him and seen exactly what he has to throw and felt exactly what he had to throw. Not to mention that aside from the end of the fight Chael fought a perfect fight. Can he put on another perfect performance, this time to the end?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #30
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I don't know if Chael will have the same opportunities he had in this fight when Silva's ready for him and seen exactly what he has to throw and felt exactly what he had to throw. Not to mention that aside from the end of the fight Chael fought a perfect fight. Can he put on another perfect performance, this time to the end?
Actually the the sub he caught him in was an easy mistake on Sonnen's part actually so the question is all things being equal if he had a second chance would he get subbed in that position? who knows. Now Sonnen really has confidence and also can see what Silva has too. I see the next fight playing out in a similar fashion...