CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Celio Silva

Profile:
Re: Alves vs Fitch UFC 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
This has all the makings for an upset. I want sonnen to get his mouth shut. But I have a bad feeling. Last time i felt like this was fedor vs werdum. I think logically sonnes game plan is horrid, im gonna throw strikes, perry and weave and try to get the take down. Well this is what a counter striker wants. At the same time if you remember when Fedor fought Cro Cop and exposed that if you pressure cro cop, he can never set-up. I think Anderson could have the same problems. Everyone that has fought him, tries to stay on the outside and stand and bang or shoot from the outside. Putting constant pressure on him so he can never set-up, may prove to work. Anderson is also a notorious slow starter, If I was cheal I would use this to my advantage and really push the pace the first 2-3 minutes. All this being said, Anderson will most likely kick Cheals face into the solar system and call it a night. But the what ifs are what make this sport so exciting to watch.
Word Jeff.

On the other hand, I don't think AS is a slow starter at all, but rather a strategic starter. He is at such a high level that he observes how his opponents move first before exploiting the holes in their stand up. So in a sense I agree with you, as far as Chael not giving AS time to study him, but at the same time if he just rushes in AS will also be expecting it and will most likely catch him coming in. Chael is simply outmatched in this one. Again, AS is NOT Marquadt or Okami, not even close. He is the best fighter we have ever seen in the sport, regardless of weight classes. Chael is simply not the guy to stop such a fighter, not in a million attempts.

I also hear you about Chael putting pressure on AS as means of killing his game. I just really can't see it happening though, as putting pressure on your opponent means exposing yourself, and you DO NOT want to expose yourself to a guy like AS.

For the record, I am not hanging from AS's ..... . I am just calling it as I see it. AS is just another human and can surely be defeated, just not by a guy like Sonnen, who has very little to offer besides "pressure". If Sonnen' game plan is to pressure AS he is going to get hurt or submitted, maybe both (I can already see Sonnen caught in a triangle and taking a pounding from there, ala Travis Lutter).

As's true test is awaiting him quietly, and is going to take his belt before the end of the year, probably around oct-dec...

Jeff, I think your bad feeling comes from you fearing the worse (Sonnen beating AS would indeed be the very worse thing that can happen in MMA right now!). Werdum did have a VERY good chance of beating Fedor, whereas Sonnen has a VERY, VERY small chance of beating AS.

In any case, this card is STACKED!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

i assume you mean vitor?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Omar Bocanegra

Profile:

Why on earth with anybody with logic think Sonnen is going to win. Sonnen said very ignorant things about Nougiera who he is not even fighting, in my

opinion his striking is subpar, submissions sub par, all he has going for him is conditioning and wrestling. Sonnen is not in the same universe as Silva. Silva will

TKO or KO, Sonnen who's mouth doesnt know when to stop, good to hype the fight, bad for his face, when it get knee'd by Anderson. When this fight is over I really hope for an actual competitive fight for Anderson, be it Vitor or Shogun.

Dos Santos is also a beast, I havent seen anyone test him on the ground, apparently he's excellent jiu jitsu.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Actual quote from Sonnen via UFC.com

He adds a couple of new dimensions because hes very long and lanky hes got a really odd body type for the weight class and hes got an odd style, said the number one contender. Theres nobody to mimic him. He fights in a sport called Muay Thai, which isnt even a real sport, its something somebody made up in a garage somewhere. And apparently Anderson got a membership to that guys garage because he got pretty good at it.

Sonnen has done nothing more that proven that he's an absolute jack-***. I understand selling a fight and he's said some pretty funny things but stuff like what he said above or the comment he made about Lance Armstrong giving himself cancer crosses the line in my opinion.

Silva works best when he's engaged by the other fighter. If Sonnen is as aggressive as he says he's going to be then Silva is eventually going catch him with his fist, knees or a submission. Sure Sonnen might be able to take him down, but he's not going to be able to hold him there. Just look at Silva's fight against Hendo.

I think Silva keeping quiet is actually getting to Sonnen. It seems that he gets more and more aggitated with each interview and he keeps saying more and more to try to get a rise out of Silva. He's going to frustrate Sonnen in the octogon as well before he destroys him.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Yeah Sonnen is trying to show he is "game'' because he knows that the fans complained the last few fights. After he gets knocked out I am sure he will say something like "well at least I enaged him..blah, blah" . The worst thing he can do is run at Anderson right from the bell. Those that do that get nailed.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Moore. View Post
Actual quote from Sonnen via UFC.com

He adds a couple of new dimensions because hes very long and lanky hes got a really odd body type for the weight class and hes got an odd style, said the number one contender. Theres nobody to mimic him. He fights in a sport called Muay Thai, which isnt even a real sport, its something somebody made up in a garage somewhere. And apparently Anderson got a membership to that guys garage because he got pretty good at it.
How is that one crossing a line? It's probably one of the mildest things he's said in the last couple weeks! lol

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Maybe Sonnen's opinion of MT will change after he feels the power of the clinch and the taste of a knee or 2?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #18
John Stone

Profile:

There is nothing all that outrageous about Sonnen's remarks on Lance Armstrong's steroid abuse. That is at least based in some fact.

Thinking Silva has been ducking him for the last 4 years though? Based in pure fantasy.

Granted, Sonnen is the first legit wrestler since Hendo, and Hendo was able to win the first round -- so I give Chael a chance to win this fight (not much of one, but more than most are giving him).

Anderson Silva doesn't have a gas tank deep enough to go 5 rounds under pressure.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
Anderson Silva doesn't have a gas tank deep enough to go 5 rounds under pressure.
How do you know that? When he's gone to a decision he wasn't actually fighting and was busy dancing around. How do you know he has no gas tank?
Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
Celio Silva

Profile:

The whole argument that Hendo was the best wrestler that Silva has ever face and that he won the first round is senseless. First of all how did Hendo won the first round exactly?? aaannnnnnd..... ...WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT?? So who cares who won that first round??? If anything, the only thing we got out of that fight regarding high-caliber wrestlers fighting AS is that they can't keep him down, and on the ground they will get submitted.

And how in heavens can anyone affirm that AS dosen't have a gas tank deep enough to fight 5 hard rounds??? Based on WHAT???