CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #81
Brent Eno

Profile:
Re: Need Help - At end of my rope

1. Cut out bananas, and drink coconut water(has plenty of electrolytes). Eat low GI, clean foods. No soda.

2. Lift heavy. Do either Crossfit Football or pick from this thread- http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35062 WFS.

3. Do whatever you can to reduce stress. Take 10-30 minutes a day to do something you really enjoy, something that relaxes you(music, stretching, meditate, whatever), and don't tell me that you are too busy to do this.

This WILL work.

Last edited by Brent Eno; 07-28-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #82
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You "can" have as many cheat meals as you want, as long as your goals aren't really important to you. Think of it this way--every decision you make will get you closer to your goals or slow you down in pursuit of them. Very few things are neutral. Choosing water instead of soda? Closer to your goals. Grassfed steak and vegetables for dinner rather than McDonald's? Closer to your goals. Going to be at 9pm instead of staying up an extra 2 hours watching whatever worthless stuff is on TV? Closer to your goals. Take too many steps backwards and you'll never get where you want to be.
Well said, sir. Good for all of us to remember.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #83
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

I understand that you're super busy and that on top of everything else you have going on, weighing and measuring your food may seem like just one more added stress that you don't need, but...

You may want to try doing the Zone, but with strict paleo foods.

Read this article by Rob Wolf, 42 Ways to Skin the Zone. (WFS: http://crossfitrevolution.typepad.co...n_the_zone.pdf)

He's a brilliant exercise nutritionist, and this could give you some answers to questions you didn't even know you had.

Just don't give up. You've done solid place-setting work, and the rest will fall in line as soon as you get your diet worked out.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #84
Robert Crossland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CFT is CrossFit Total--1RM squat, press, and deadlift. 1000+lbs is a pretty impressive total and usually entails squatting around 375lbs, deadlifting around 450lbs, and pressing 175lbs or so. I think the CFT point came up in regards to your fitness--if you've got a 1000+ CFT, then we know you're pretty strong and just need to lean out. If your CFT is 600lbs, then you need to get stronger and leaner.
I know most of those numbers (in the general vicinity) for me, though for some I haven't done max weight in a while.

Did press recently, I think my 3 rep max (we didn't do one rep) was like 145, not sure what that would equate to for 1 rep. Probably like 165 I guess.

Squats I haven't done in a couple of months, but last I did them I think it was ~300 pounds. The first rep I failed at was exactly 300 pounds, so it was slightly under for back squat.

Deadlifts I haven't done recently either, but last time was ~350.

I suppose I'd be ~800ish
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #85
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
Quit the soda and relax more. The sugar and cortisol are probably enough to keep the belly fat in place. Drink only water and try yoga, meditating, or just listening to some music- like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqfCVQpw-1k WFS- that puts you at ease when you get stressed.

WOW WHER CAN I FIND MORE OF THIS!! Thanks for this relaxing link.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #86
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Boyarchuk View Post
WOW WHER CAN I FIND MORE OF THIS!! Thanks for this relaxing link.
Hey Michael. Anything by Ludovico Einaudi or Helen Jane Long will do the trick. I've been listening to them before bed lately and I've noticed both more vivid dreams and a deeper sleep. Its been a very interesting, peaceful personal experiment. Here's a few more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c0FBSUd1Hk (my favorite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTkzyyv0DuA both links WFS

Thread hijack over.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #87
Evelyn Scarborough

Profile:

Robert, I can sympathize with your frustration. You have to give yourself a pat on the back for sticking with CrossFit and doing the 3 months of Paleo because that is no easy task. Tons of people are unwilling to try this stuff let alone stick with it for a length of time.

I agree with the food logging (that's just the only way to objectively evaluate any diet) but here's a few things that have helped me:

1. Stress control - Autogenic training (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training WFS). You can work on this for 5-10 min before you go to sleep at night or whenever you have 5 min during the day. With practice, you can control your breathing and overall stress level much easier.

2. Lift heavy. I like how someone mentioned that if you like to eat like a weightlifter/powerlifter (I sure do) that you should train like one. I could sure be leaner (showing some abs) if I cleaned up my diet, BUT people are usually astounded at my actual weight, saying there's no way I weigh that much. Because a lot of it is muscle. Which brings me to:

3. *#@$ the scale. Love the mirror and the whiteboard. Track performance PRs to boost your motivation. You've made great progress (pull-ups, push-ups, rx'd weights, etc.), and this stuff comes really slowly, especially if you're not starting with a great strength base and gymnastics background. Cut yourself some slack. The mirror thing (which seems to be consuming you now) is going to get better if you tighten up the diet (get some objective feedback by using a logger like fitday). You may end up needing to tweak the diet (more Zone than Paleo? etc etc etc).
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #88
Michael Boyarchuk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post

Thread hijack over.
Tks and sry for highjacking ur thread Robert.

I think I have a few things to add that may help.

What if you NEVER referred to yourself as a fat man ever again.

Every time I've seen you write that it gives me an uneasy feeling. You are who you think you are. I personally feel you're right on the verge of a major change in your life/look. Stay the course and absorb everything you can from all they great contributors in this thread.

Remeber this quote from Henry Ford, it's helped me alot. Post it above your mirror or on your scale.

"Whether You Think You Can or think you can't, You are Right"
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #89
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Boyarchuk View Post

"Whether You Think You Can or think you can't, You are Right"
I thought that was a Stewie Griffin.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #90
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crossland View Post
I know most of those numbers (in the general vicinity) for me, though for some I haven't done max weight in a while.

Did press recently, I think my 3 rep max (we didn't do one rep) was like 145, not sure what that would equate to for 1 rep. Probably like 165 I guess.

Squats I haven't done in a couple of months, but last I did them I think it was ~300 pounds. The first rep I failed at was exactly 300 pounds, so it was slightly under for back squat.

Deadlifts I haven't done recently either, but last time was ~350.

I suppose I'd be ~800ish
So your CFT is somewhere in the range of 800 or less, and you weigh 250ish pounds. To me, that means you need to work on your strength quit a bit.

Following CFFB WODs, interweaving a strength program like SS or 5/3/1 into your normal WOD routine, are all paths to greater strength within the CF methodology.

Last edited by John Stone; 07-28-2010 at 11:44 PM..