CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Ned Ferguson

Profile:
Re: Brock vs Carwin

Watching Countdown to UFC 116 really reminds me why I can't stand Lesnar. I predicted Lesnar to win but if he gets his butt kicked I sure won't complain.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
Well I know that when the two are in the ring together brock will be the more physically imposing man. They may weight the same but because of how Brock is built he just appears to be bigger. I don't know how someone who doesn't know what both men weigh before hand could look at the two side by side without thinking brock was much larger.
Appearances can be deceving just because he looks bigger doesn't mean his nessecarily stronger. That bulk also tends to use up burn up more energy than simply being strong.

I think Brock is going to be in for a surprise when he finds out that he won't be able to bully Carwin around like he has everyone else.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 07-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
James Besenyei

Profile:

This is a pick 'em fight, and I'll pick Shane because I like his personality better.

As for the fight itself, if it stays standing Shane has the advantage because of his proven knockout power and overall better boxing skills. Sure Brock has enlisted help with the stand-up game recently, but Shane has been honing his boxing skills since at least 2005.

The most important part of the fight will be Brock's ability/inability to transition from the stand-up to the ground game. Can Shane stuff Brock's shot? If not, will Brock be able to bully Shane as easily as he has everyone else on the ground? Honestly, I don't know how to answer those questions with any certainty because we haven't seen enough of Shane's take-down defense and we haven't seen Brock in the cage with a guy as strong, compact, and athletic as Shane (Shane's wrestling pedigree doesn't hurt either). My tentative answer is this: Brock can take him down but Shane has the requisite skill and strength to get back to his feet. Caveat: Brock is a gorilla, if he can dump Shane quickly and explosively enough he may be able to transition right into top mount--if he gets there, it'll be over quick.

Still, I like Shane on his feet and think he can hold his own on the ground long enough to get back where he wants to be. Carwin, TKO, 2nd round.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Rick Hardin

Profile:

Carwin

And I hope it's a major KO.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
Celio Silva

Profile:

I don't see it as a pick'em fight at all (but fully respect those who do, just for the record!).

Brock is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport and will take a beating come Saturday night.

Carwin by Carwinism (1st round KO)

Akyiama vs Leben Decision

Sotiropolous vs Pellegrino Decision (it will be a lot closer than people think)

Sozysnky vs Bonnar Decision

Tuchschenerer vs Scahub Decision

Grove vs Relic Submission

Enjoy the fights!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Carwin vs. Lesnar KO

Akyiama vs Leben Decision

Sotiropolous vs Pellegrino Submission (this one could be fight of the night)

Sozysnky vs Bonnar KO

Tuchschenerer vs Schaub Decision

Grove vs Relic Decision
Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Brock is the most overrated fighter in the history of the sport and will take a beating come Saturday night.
I think that would be Fedor (at least from 2006 on up, he was really good up till then, but this can be another discussion)
Lesner vs Carwin Lesner ground and pound round 2

Akyiama vs Leben Leben decision

Sotiropolous vs Pellegrino Sotiropolous arm bar (submission of the night)

Sozysnky vs Bonnar Sozysnky Decision

Lytle vs Brown Lytle decision (fight of the night)
Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Clingenpeel View Post
I think that would be Fedor (at least from 2006 on up, he was really good up till then, but this can be another discussion)
Lesner vs Carwin Lesner ground and pound round 2

Akyiama vs Leben Leben decision

Sotiropolous vs Pellegrino Sotiropolous arm bar (submission of the night)

Sozysnky vs Bonnar Sozysnky Decision

Lytle vs Brown Lytle decision (fight of the night)
Really?? Fedor??? you really think Fedor is the most overrated fighter? Did you see him put both Brett Rodgers and Andrei Arlovski out cold? Or how he just completely handled Tim Sylvia?

Lesnar comes off as one of the most arrogant human begins I have ever seen, and I hope Carwin puts him in his place. Also, I hope Sotiropolous does well. He's got a ton of talent and deserves more attention.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
Really?? Fedor??? you really think Fedor is the most overrated fighter? Did you see him put both Brett Rodgers and Andrei Arlovski out cold? Or how he just completely handled Tim Sylvia?

Lesnar comes off as one of the most arrogant human begins I have ever seen, and I hope Carwin puts him in his place. Also, I hope Sotiropolous does well. He's got a ton of talent and deserves more attention.
Yes really, I do believe Fedor is the most over hyped fighter.

"Cro-cop" his last great fight , it was from 2005. It was a really good fight, 5 years ago though. After that fight is was all down hill for him:
-Wagner da Conceicao Martins "Zuluzinho" this was his 5th fight and he weighed in at almost 400lbs. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Wagne...-Martins-13398 wfs
-Mark Coleman- already on the down side of his career
-Mark Hunt a K-1 fighter (Muaythai type fighting) - whos record is now a whopping 5-6 (all losses come by way of submission in the first min or two)
-Matt Lindland - he came in the fight at i believe 185# compared to Fedor's 230#
-Hong Man Choi - this is my favorite. In his second pro fight he fights Fedor. His most notable win to date is against Jose Canseco, yes that Jose Canseco. His record is 2-3 now
-Tim Sylvia- he was decent at one time, fought not to lose when he was the champ and never pressed any action. When he ended up on the ground he was submited in no time except for being KO'd in 9 seconds by Ray Mercer
-Andrei Arlovski - He was muscling Fedor around a bit and got caught, very weak chin as shown by Rodgers in 22 seconds
-Brett Rodgers - Rodgers did give him a run for his money, one of his more competive fights to date.
To be the best, you have to fight the best, not guys with 1 pro fight or having a 40# weight advantage. Fedor was very good years ago, but people need to stop he is the greatest ever.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I think Fedor was the best but the guy is HOW OLD? That's why they have a "Master's Competition" in the games this year. He was the best, but in his current condition no way, no how.

As for this fight I'm picking Lesnar. The guy is a beast of a fighter like him or not. I personally don't think he will be back to 100% yet, but we shall see. Either way he is due for a defeat but I still am picking him.

They both weighed in at 265.